Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-19-2008, 09:02 AM   #1
jtfacts
I airball my layups

jtfacts has an OK reputation so far
Default Past Draft Mistakes

Everyone has a different opinion about the draft order. I have been a basketball fan for over 20 years and have seen many drafts and many mistakes (Kwame Brown anyone?). I have come to the conclusion that GM's and coaches get it wrong a good number of times (Carlos Boozer went in the second round!!). Here are some of the mistakes that I can think of the last few years:

Andrew Bogut over Chris Paul and Derron Williams in 2005

Rafael Araujo over Andre Iguodala and Josh Smith in 2004

JJ. Reddick over Rajon Rondo in 2006

Darko Millicic - enough said.

Mike Sweetney over David West in 2003
jtfacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Past Draft Mistakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfacts
Everyone has a different opinion about the draft order. I have been a basketball fan for over 20 years and have seen many drafts and many mistakes (Kwame Brown anyone?). I have come to the conclusion that GM's and coaches get it wrong a good number of times (Carlos Boozer went in the second round!!). Here are some of the mistakes that I can think of the last few years:

Andrew Bogut over Chris Paul and Derron Williams in 2005

Rafael Araujo over Andre Iguodala and Josh Smith in 2004

JJ. Reddick over Rajon Rondo in 2006

Darko Millicic - enough said.

Mike Sweetney over David West in 2003
You can't get them all right but you hope that the player you draft is able to contribute,and you also have to think about needs at the time.

You can't blame Houston for taking Hakeem over Jordan or even Portland for taking Bowie over Jordan because they didn't need him at the time.

Same with teams taking guys like Vitaly Potapenko and Todd Fuller over Kobe Bryant in the 1996 NBA Draft,because neither needed him.Or Joe Smith over KG.

A mistake is when you take a guy and he isn't able to contribute anything in his career,that's why I argue for Kandi Man,Kwame,and Darko because they're quick to be labeled busts but they were able to contribute in their career.

Araujo contributed nothing,he's a bonafide Bust.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
disco
Great young streetballer

disco has no real reputation yet.

This isn't the pick but a draft day deal:

While Joe Barry Carroll was really good early in his career, one of the classic mistakes must be Warriors trading Robert Parrish and rights to Kevin McHale for rights to Joe Barry Carroll.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

I'm not too sure most of those are really draft mistakes because, for example, not only did Redick go ahead of Rondo, so didn't Hilton Armstrong, Cedric Simmons, Sear Sene, Patrick O'Bryant, Thabo Sefolosha, Shawne Williams, Oleksiy Pecherov, and others.

I think in order for it to be a mistake, there had to have been serious talk that a team was deciding between two or three players, and took the wrong one, which is pretty much what Interminator was saying.

I think two of the bigger ones that I can remember were in 2004 when the Raptors took Araujo when I think most people had them taking Iguodala (which you had) and when Boston took Tony Allen over Kevin Martin. Nobody had Araujo or Allen that high, and Iguodala and Martin made sense for them.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool

Nowitzki for Tractor Traylor. It doesn't get much worse than that.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

2001 draft

#9 to Detroit- Rodney White
#10 to Boston- Joe Johnson

That one has nothing to do with team need, as they both play the same position. Just a plain misjudgement.

also in that same draft

#17 to Toronto- Michael Bradley
#19 to Portland- Zach Randolph

Same deal as the first.

2003 draft

#26 to Minnesota- Ndubi Ebi
#20 to Dallas- Josh Howard

Another case.

2004 draft

#14 to Utah- Kris Humphries
#15 to Boston- Al Jefferson
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:00 AM   #7
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

I agree with all of those Posterize. The thing that should be pointed out is that all except for Ebi (which I don't think is a major mistake since at the time HS players were the in thing and seniors like Howard, who really wasn't a great prospect anyway) those guys were fast risers right before the draft. Bradley and Humphries looked like 2nd rounders until a week or two before the draft, and White was an unknown that moved up probably 10 picks during workouts.

I would compare those guys movements as similar to that of Ajinca who is really the only guy who has darted up the draft just before the draft this year.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:48 AM   #8
mattreis62
Good High School Starter

mattreis62 has decent reputation

Would Toronto really have been any better off with Randolph? Portland dumped him for almost nothing, and now New York is trying to get rid of him. He's like Stephon Marbury (poor Knicks fans ): he puts up good numbers, but his team sucks.
mattreis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:22 AM   #9
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

no matter how much you hate him,the raps would have been 10x better with randolph than bradley
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:51 PM   #10
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

TarHeelBorn has an OK reputation so far

Bobcats:
04 - Okafor over Al Jefferson but it's not that bad

05 - Sean May over pretty much everyone drafted after him...

06 - Adam Morrison over Rudy Gay and Brandon Roy ... this one takes the cake
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #11
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Of the ones mentioned, I think the following are the only true mistakes:

Araujo over Iggy and Josh Smith - Everyone knew that was a bad, bad move.

Morrison over Roy and Gay - Great college player, but come on now.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:26 PM   #12
disco
Great young streetballer

disco has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11

Morrison over Roy and Gay - Great college player, but come on now.

Well, I'm not that sure it was an obviously bad pick. He struggled as a rookie, but showed signs of possibly becoming really good. Quite rarely you see players who can get their shots off, and make them good shots, with that little space. Had he not been injured this year, it could be a very different story. Of course Charlotte would now rather take Roy or Gay, but I don't think it was necessarily that bad move. Not like e.g. Araujo ahead of of Iguodala. But then again, Raptors selected him because of team needs. Morris Peterson looked pretty good back then and they had just traded for Jalen Rose, and Iguodala didn't seem like something they needed.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #13
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco
Well, I'm not that sure it was an obviously bad pick. He struggled as a rookie, but showed signs of possibly becoming really good. Quite rarely you see players who can get their shots off, and make them good shots, with that little space. Had he not been injured this year, it could be a very different story. Of course Charlotte would now rather take Roy or Gay, but I don't think it was necessarily that bad move. Not like e.g. Araujo ahead of of Iguodala. But then again, Raptors selected him because of team needs. Morris Peterson looked pretty good back then and they had just traded for Jalen Rose, and Iguodala didn't seem like something they needed.
Not as bad, but it was obviously bad.

Could Morrison become a good player? Yeah, but that's his ceiling. "Good". "Okay". There is only so much humanly possible that he can do to become a better player. He's slow, unathletic, and a horrid defender. Brandon Roy and Rudy Gay right now are better than Adam Morrison will ever be and it was clear that would have been the case on draft night. Not sure what the 'Cats were thinking.

Adam Morrison going #3 over Brandon Roy and Rudy Gay was a very, very bad pick from the moment it was made. There's really nothing to that one could say to justify passing those two up in favor of Morrison.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:12 PM   #14
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

blazerjimmy has no real reputation yet.

My Blazers taking Sebastian Telfair at #13..................
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:25 PM   #15
adiedanny
Die Hard Clippers Fan

adiedanny has decent reputation

Winner! Winner! Winner!!!!!!!!
Michael Olowokandi 1998 #1 pick.
adiedanny is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: