Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-19-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
Interminator
Banned

Default Anthony Randolph & JaVale McGee:Big Fallers

Quote:
Players that might find themselves being drafted a bit lower than they hoped include DeAndre Jordan, JaVale McGee, and possibly even Anthony Randolph. If Sacramento selects Darrell Arthur at #12 like many NBA sources we spoke with anticipate (this was his last workout stop before cancelling numerous workouts), then Randolph could be in for quite a tumble, as he would likely continue to slip past Portland at #13, Golden State at #14, Phoenix at #15, until reaching Philadelphia at #16. That’s about 10 spots lower than some mocks have him projected right now, but isn’t out of the question depending on how things play out next week. Randolph is not helping himself reportedly with the way he’s working out, being very average so far according to numerous people who’ve watched him, looking “laid back” or even “out of shape.” Compounding the problem is that he may have recently hurt his shoulder.

I can imagine the phone lines to Portland,GS,and Phoenix ringing off the hooks if Randolph is still on the board then.

Quote:
While DeAndre Jordan and JaVale McGee are refusing to conduct workouts with certain teams drafting outside of the lottery (McGee’s mother foolishly won’t let him visit anyone past 12 from what one frustrated team told us), there is no shortage of workout warriors on the prowl looking to take their spot in the teens portion of the draft. One of those is Alexis Ajinca, who may be working himself into that 12-14 range, based off the workouts he’s having.

JaVale should thank his mother for costing him draft position following his poor workouts but now I am really starting to believe JaVale is going to fall into the early 20's to Utah if they instead don't draft Robin Lopez.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Default Re: Anthony Randolph & JaVale McGee:Big Fallers

Quote:
McGee’s mother foolishly won’t let him visit anyone past 12 from what one frustrated team told us

That source is wrong. He was the sixers first workout and they pick at 16. Jordan won't fall past 15.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
That source is wrong. He was the sixers first workout and they pick at 16. Jordan won't fall past 15.
It's not talking about workouts,it's about visits.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
It's not talking about workouts,it's about visits.
What's that matter? Is that like when they do the psychological testing or something? If he was willing to go for a workout that low, then I don't see what difference a visit would mean.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:55 AM   #5
monthh
Local High School Star

I agree on Randolph, and I don't think McGee is that high, but could he have a promise? Randolph is a great prospect, but he isn't what teams are looking for right now. I think with Alexander, Gallinari, Love, and Arthur you could get a guy who will help out more right now. If teams are looking at Randolph vs. one of those guys straight up, I think they may pass on Randolph. With that said, I have a hard time seeing all those teams pass on him. A 6-10 guy with that kind of athletic ability, and really could be the next Bosh. I think even the Nets would take him at 10.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:04 AM   #6
dak121
College superstar

The NBA isn't a developmental league. GMs at the top of the draft may have finally caught some sense. Guys like Randolph/McGee won't do much until their 1st contract runs out. And with Celtic/Lakers-type turnarounds it doesn't make a lot of sense to wait for these guys to start gaining weight and skill.

Let someone else do the dirty work. This is not the draft to be a project in.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:43 AM   #7
monthh
Local High School Star

I agree 100% about this not being a good draft for projects, but the Celtics and Lakers are good because they developed players. Imagine if the Celtics had taken a less developmental player like Kirk Snyder or Jameer Nelson instead of Jefferson. They wouldn't have landed KG. What if the Lakers had taken less of a project like Sean May or Hakim Warick instead of Andrew Bynum? They wouldn't have had the start this season that they did and probably wouldn't have felt the need to make a move for Gasol. Of course even Gasol and Kobe were "project" picks. Even recent picks like Rondo, Perkins, Green (was considered a key piece of the KG trade at the time), and Vujacic (who was only 20 and has improved a lot) were not even close to polished players.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
rfidd
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Interminator, do you still have the link for this story? I watched Javale play a lot at Nevada, and would like to read the whole story. It appears his mom had numerous contacts before his decision to hire an agent after his sophomore year. Like I said before, he could use a bit more bulk and strength, but he is long and is an excellent shot blocker, with a decent shot.

Rick
rfidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
disco
Great young streetballer

It's from Jonathan Givony's blog in draftexpress.com It's not really based on anything other than what he has heard/thinks. But I think he's done pretty good job before last few drafts so I am paying attention to what he says.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
dak121
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
I agree 100% about this not being a good draft for projects, but the Celtics and Lakers are good because they developed players.

Where were they drafted? Outside of Al Jefferson, none of them were taken in the lottery and Jefferson was a #13/14 pick. Good teams can afford to take a chance and try to develop a young guy. Guys picked past the lottery are more willing to go to the D-League/ride the bench for a few seasons.

I'm not saying that projects shouldn't be taken in the 1st round. They just shouldn't be taken by bad teams that have already done a piss poor job of putting a team together the previous year/s. And 95% of the teams in the lottery every year are pretty bad.

Last edited by dak121 : 06-20-2008 at 02:29 PM.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:06 PM   #11
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
Where were they drafted? Outside of Al Jefferson, none of them were taken in the lottery and Jefferson was a #13/14 pick. Good teams can afford to take a chance and try to develop a young guy. Guys picked past the lottery are more willing to go to the D-League/ride the bench for a few seasons.

I'm not saying that projects shouldn't be taken in the 1st round. They just shouldn't be taken by bad teams that have already done a piss poor job of putting a team together the previous year/s. And 95% of the teams in the lottery every year are pretty bad.
Andrew Bynum was taken in the lottery and Big Al was 15th or 16th.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: