Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation
Default Demar Derozan vs Paul George.

Who you picking?

The numbers have you believe that they are not that far off.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...rgpa01&y2=2014
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
noob cake
Good college starter

noob cake has not been impressing people
Default Re: Demar Derozan vs Paul George.

While George's defense is overrated as ****, he is still a better defender while being just about 70-80% as good as Derozan offensively.
noob cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #3
buddha
dude, where's my shaq?

buddha is starting to rub some people the wrong way

paul george scored 2 points last night so him. such player he is.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
Milbuck
Buck Dynasty

Milbuck has an incredible reputation hereMilbuck has an incredible reputation hereMilbuck has an incredible reputation hereMilbuck has an incredible reputation hereMilbuck has an incredible reputation hereMilbuck has an incredible reputation hereMilbuck has an incredible reputation hereMilbuck has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob cake
While George's defense is overrated as ****, he is still a better defender while being just about 70-80% as good as Derozan offensively.
It's definitely more than that. PG is shooting better than Derozan from 2, from 3, and the free throw line while averaging just 0.6 ppg less on a much better team with more weapons.
Milbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
shejan
I airball my layups

shejan has an OK reputation so far

Paul George has a better 3 point shot but doesn't have the ability to get to the line like DeRozan. While DeRozan has improved I'd still take George 8 out of 10 times. This is coming from a Raptors fan
shejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #6
Black and White
BTE Intern

Black and White has an incredible reputation hereBlack and White has an incredible reputation hereBlack and White has an incredible reputation hereBlack and White has an incredible reputation hereBlack and White has an incredible reputation hereBlack and White has an incredible reputation hereBlack and White has an incredible reputation here

Paul George is the better player and is much easier to build a team with.
Black and White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
MellowYellow
Good High School Starter

MellowYellow has an OK reputation so far

I am just glad we are comparing George to people he is actually in a tier with.
He had no business being mentioned with the likes of Melo the great.
MellowYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #8
Smook A.
D.E.U.T.H.O.A.C

Smook A. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmook A. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmook A. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmook A. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmook A. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmook A. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmook A. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmook A. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmook A. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmook A. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

That's a good question. I really don't have a clue. In some nights Paul George looks fantastic. Although yesterday... he was terrible. 0-9, 2 pts, and a couple of turnovers in 33 minutes. PG also plays nice defense which is needed when you want to win a championship. You have to be able to guard the other team's best player and I think George is good at that.

Now DeMar DeRozan is also a nice player. I don't think he's ever shot 0% from the field in one of his games (lol). From what I've heard he's not a bad defender. Decent defense + nice offense + good leadership is the key to being an elite player. Neither Paul George or DeRozan have ALL those 3 qualities.

Now let's look at stats. Both DeRozan and George average 22+ ppg. To be more specific George averages 22.3 ppg and DeRozan averages 22.9. They're also both shooting ~43% from the field. Pretty much the same on offense this year. Their stats are very similar, including the assist numbers. Everything is pretty much the same except the rebounding.

Now who is the better overall defensive player? I think Paul George is. Every team wants a good defensive player. So to finally answer your question OP, right now I want Paul George (even though he's slumping). Now keep in mind, both can become better in the future. George is only 23 and DeRozan is just 24. I don't think DeRozan is THAT FAR off from being a better overall player George. Who knows... maybe one day i'll change my mind on who the better player is
Smook A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #9
k0kakw0rld
Local High School Star

k0kakw0rld posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryk0kakw0rld posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and White
Paul George is the better player and is much easier to build a team with.
Curious to know how did you end up with that conclusion.
k0kakw0rld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:15 PM   #10
Legends66NBA7
Birds of a Feather

Legends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I was actually awaiting when this thread was going to show up. Both DeMar and Paul are friends and come out of the same camp, same with James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Brandon Jennings, etc... I've always seen this 2 as rivals and up and coming players.

Despite his slump, I think most will still say Paul George, which is nothing against DeMar's season as I do see him improving since the Gay trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milbuck
It's definitely more than that. PG is shooting better than Derozan from 2, from 3, and the free throw line while averaging just 0.6 ppg less on a much better team with more weapons.

George is also averaging more turnovers and less assists. While that's also a small difference, DeMar's assist to turnover ratio has gone up each month and it's lead to his team's winning a lot more games (The February stat was pre-Cleveland and Washington games):

No reason I feel he won't continue to raise that number.

DeMar is also very good in pick and roll situations, as he continues to tighten up his handles (data concluded at Feb 28, 2014):

Regardless, until DeMar can actually up his game in the playoffs, really can't give him the edge as an offensive player.

I think once he starts to polish up more of his skills in the off season, I can see him being the defensive player many thought he could be when he got drafted. Maybe not Paul George good, but certainly a tough player to go against. He's been pretty adequate to above average, but I would like him to continue to be effective on help defense like he has been in the last couple of games.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #11
noob cake
Good college starter

noob cake has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milbuck

Hot start averaging his stats up. He is regressing to his natural levels recently.

Few players can improve volume and efficiency in one year. Harden went to borderline ridiculous efficiency at medium volume to above average efficiency at high volume. He didn't get better by much.
noob cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #12
Black and White
BTE Intern

Black and White has an incredible reputation hereBlack and White has an incredible reputation hereBlack and White has an incredible reputation hereBlack and White has an incredible reputation hereBlack and White has an incredible reputation hereBlack and White has an incredible reputation hereBlack and White has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0kakw0rld
Curious to know how did you end up with that conclusion.

Oh yea, I forgot that Derozan is your new bandwagon that you have jumped on. Take your homer goggles off, George isnt the better offensive player, sure, but his defensive prowess makes up for that, having a solid defensive player is always a good building block to start with.
Black and White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #13
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

Everyone that says Paul George is a better defensive player... or does he merely play on a defensive team that can cover up his mistakes better?

If DeRozan was on the pacers, i think he can really put up the same defensive impact George has on the Pacers.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #14
Akrazotile
Cavs fan since forever

Akrazotile posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryAkrazotile posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryAkrazotile posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

LOL

Points per game stat.

Cant believe ppl still use it
Akrazotile is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: