Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 06-21-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
dd24
College superstar

Default Draft Next Week

What do you guys think the Pistons should do? I see an obvious hole at center. I'm just not sure if there will be someone to pick at Detroit's spot that can come in and help. They really need a backup SF for Prince. I'm still upset with Grant Hill for going to Phoenix. We could have really used him this year. If CDR drops that low I would say pick him. Even though he's a 2 gaurd he could be the best player available. Hibbert may drop if Utah decides to take someone else. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Pistons uniform. I think Joe D really wants to trade this pick though. I don't think he wants a first round pick this year. Next Thursday could be the first offseason move for Detroit. What if Brooke Lopez drops to Charlotte with their #9 pick. Does Detroit trade Wallace & a combo of other players?
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
shaoyut
National High School Star

Default Re: Draft Next Week

try and sign kwame brown lol
shaoyut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:09 AM   #3
Pistons
I brick open layups

If CDR drops to 29, the Pistons should get him..if not try the other. DJ White, JJ Hickson, Bill Walker. etc etc.

On the SF thing, try to acquire James Posey.
Pistons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:30 AM   #4
dd24
College superstar

Posey's stock definately went up after the finals. In the rumors LA has been mentioned. Detroit would be a good fit for him though.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

I like Chris Douglas-Roberts and its nice to bring in a hometown guy, but:

1. I can see him being gone by the time we pick

2. Do we need another guard?

We just picked up Afflalo and Stuckey last year and currently have Billups and Hamilton… I imagine we will at least keep one of our starting guards in the end… Too many young inexperienced guards in the rotation can actually set us back and we are currently trying to return to the finals…
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
embersyc
Lurker

Nathan Jawai if available, otherwise trade the pick.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
I like Chris Douglas-Roberts and its nice to bring in a hometown guy, but:

1. I can see him being gone by the time we pick

2. Do we need another guard?

We just picked up Afflalo and Stuckey last year and currently have Billups and Hamilton… I imagine we will at least keep one of our starting guards in the end… Too many young inexperienced guards in the rotation can actually set us back and we are currently trying to return to the finals…

Those were my original thoughts but they worked out a lot of gaurds, more gaurds than big men.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:50 PM   #8
final.wrath
Banned

The pistons have wanted Devon Hardin for 2 or 3 years now. If he's available, he's the pick.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:18 PM   #9
dd24
College superstar

CDR is still available.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:32 PM   #10
dd24
College superstar

I'm upset with the drafting of Dj White. Nothing against him as a player but when CDR is available and we already have a ton of young PF's that are all the same size I have to question why they did this. At least CDR could play the 2 or 3. I think White has a lot of upside but where does he fit in? This kills Maxiell's and Johnsons minutes. I'm glad Boston was crazy enough to pass up on CDR, but they did get a big gaurd anyhow to help out with teams like Detroit.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:44 PM   #11
dd24
College superstar

I'll let it slide if they trade him for those 2 second round picks. It would make more sense then and Joe D was rumored to trade out of the first round all together.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:45 AM   #12
dd24
College superstar

Ok, I'll give Joe D the 2 for 1 deal. May as well roll the dice on 2 players than 1. But how in the world do you pass on CDR? Is there something I am completely missing here? He's a guy who is ready to come in and play now. He isn't an experiment. He would have looked brilliant for trading his pick where he was projected to get CDR and then getting him later and someone else. I still don't understand what the point of getting another 6'9" PF is, especially when they are just going to play in summer league and then go to the NBADL. CDR is a combo gaurd. We would have had Billups, Hamilton, CDR, Afflalo, and Stuckey. It wouldn't have mattered if Hunter retired and Dixon went elsewhere. Well, only one pick left. Let's see what happens. We need some more Pistons fans on these forums.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:28 AM   #13
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
Ok, I'll give Joe D the 2 for 1 deal. May as well roll the dice on 2 players than 1. But how in the world do you pass on CDR? Is there something I am completely missing here? He's a guy who is ready to come in and play now. He isn't an experiment. He would have looked brilliant for trading his pick where he was projected to get CDR and then getting him later and someone else. I still don't understand what the point of getting another 6'9" PF is, especially when they are just going to play in summer league and then go to the NBADL. CDR is a combo gaurd. We would have had Billups, Hamilton, CDR, Afflalo, and Stuckey. It wouldn't have mattered if Hunter retired and Dixon went elsewhere. Well, only one pick left. Let's see what happens. We need some more Pistons fans on these forums.

the twofer deal seemed good to me before I realized we hardly have enough spots on the team as it is. Especially with high expectations on samb, amir, and afflalo. And if pistons trade one of their starters you can bet they'll get 2+ back AND we already have 3 future multiple second rounders from delfino+dupree trades. Problem with this team is quality, not quantity, pistons trade the better player for two that aren't as good. We get a PF and C both around 6'9 (We need a 7 footer Joe D!!!) that both shoot about 55% from the free throw line. If Sheed doesn't get traded I really hope dumars gets fired. He has way too much love for the big men and seems to just draft the bpa instead of the teams needs. And that leaves us with out a real center or backup SF for the last 3+ years and good players on the bench that can't play because they're 5th on the depth chart for their position.

Last edited by detsportsfan3 : 06-27-2008 at 03:44 AM.
detsportsfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:18 AM   #14
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by detsportsfan3
the twofer deal seemed good to me before I realized we hardly have enough spots on the team as it is. Especially with high expectations on samb, amir, and afflalo. And if pistons trade one of their starters you can bet they'll get 2+ back AND we already have 3 future multiple second rounders from delfino+dupree trades. Problem with this team is quality, not quantity, pistons trade the better player for two that aren't as good. We get a PF and C both around 6'9 (We need a 7 footer Joe D!!!) that both shoot about 55% from the free throw line. If Sheed doesn't get traded I really hope dumars gets fired. He has way too much love for the big men and seems to just draft the bpa instead of the teams needs. And that leaves us with out a real center or backup SF for the last 3+ years and good players on the bench that can't play because they're 5th on the depth chart for their position.

It's really tough to say fire Joe D. I am extremely unhappy as are you, but who could we replace him with. It's kinda like saying how can you replace Lebron or Kobe. They make mistakes and lose games sometimes, and you get mad at them sometimes (like I am right now), but in the end they fit your team the best.

If CDR wasn't good enough to draft I want to start hearing reports on why any team shouldn't have drafted him. I don't want little things either. For him to drop that low it needs to be something major. Tell me he started a fight club or something (well that might fit in over in Detroit ) I've been the biggest proponent of drafting a big center all along, but I also said if CDR is available you need to draft the best available player. No offense Aaron Afflalo. You two could have battled it out and may the best man win. CDR shouldn't have even been available at #29. Joe D should have redeemed himself with the Sonics first pick. This just tells me he didn't think there was anyone in the draft who could contribute to the team.

The back court would have reminded me a bit of when the Pistons drafted Hunter and Houston. We all thought the world of them at the time. Everybody thought the Pistons future looked bright. Then we had to let Hill go who was our best player. Well, what if the Pistons had what we thought was a great pair of gaurds and had to trade Billups? He's my favorite player on the team but I couldn't be mad if we got a good piece in return.

Any way around it, I just expected more tonight. Even though we had a lousy draft pick I think there could have been something more done with it so we can continue to be winners in the future. Joe D is either hit or miss with the draft. Darko as a second pick and Stuckey in the mid first round. I guess we are better off with mid first rounders than anything.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #15
embersyc
Lurker

WTF are you babies unhappy with Joe D for? He has built one of the most consistantly winning teams in sports. The team has been good enough to compete for the championship for five straight years. You're never going to find another guy who can do that. If you think you know whats better for the team you're an idiot. At least listen to what the man has to say about the picks before you scrutinize.

Quote:
Joe Dumars was smiling like a guy who knows something about Walter Sharpe that nobody else knows. He watched “a ton of tape” on him and brought him in to work out, holding him over for a second day.

“He’s good, man, he’s good,” Dumars said. “Handles it, shoots it, long and smooth.”

Dumars said Sharpe will be a small forward in the NBA, though he was playing out of position at UAB as a power forward.

As for Sharpe's history of off-court trouble - arrested for disorderly conduct, academically inelgible, shot two years ago though it appears he was an innocent victim - Dumars said almost all of it traces to the narcolepsy only recently diagnosed. He said Sharpe is now on medication and that "he says it's changed his life." Dumars said he's talked to "more people in Alabama than I care to remember" and is perfectly convinced Sharpe has a firm grip on his life now.

Dumars was prepared to take him at 29 when Seattle called and wanted to trade up to get D.J. White. Dumars saw it as an opportunity to get the guy he wanted and pick up and extra pick in the deal. He also said he knew of two teams preparing to trade up to take Sharpe.

Trent Plaisted and Deron Washington, the two other second-rounders, were picked in part because they agreed to play in Europe next season. Dumars said the organization asked potential second-round picks if they would be willing to play overseas because he didn’t anticipate having a roster spot for them next season. Those who answered no, the Pistons scratched off their list. That’s one reason they didn’t take Bill Walker, though Dumars said “we liked him a lot.”

The reason they didn’t keep White, Dumars said, is they saw him as too close in playing style to Jason Maxiell – an undersized power forward who can play, but a duplication of Maxiell.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: