Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011
 
Posterize246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Philly, PA
Posts: 15,763
Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Posterize's Mock Draft and Analysis 2.0 (last 15)

16.Philadelphia- Marreese Speights (Philly’s most glaring need is power forward to go along with the future of Thaddeus Young, Lou Williams, and Andre Iguodala. The Sixers are a running style team who struggle in their half court sets. A low post presence is greatly lacking for this team. Without a double team worthy player in the post, defenders were able to stay close to the Sixer’s 3 point shooters and they ranked last in the league in that category. A low post workhourse who shot 62% in college will help.)

17.Toronto- Brandon Rush (It’s believed that Toronto’s biggest need is a center to play next to Chris Bosh and do the dirty work, yet Hibbert, Kofous, and Ajinca are not those players. In recent drafts Toronto has passed on such wing players as Andre Iguodala and Danny Granger. They would be foolish to believe Anthony Parker can be a starter for much longer and to pass on another. B Rush should be the pick here, not another big guy who can’t rebound. Araujo and Bargnani were enough.)

18.Washington- Javale McGee (No real weakness can be seen in the Wizards starting lineup. The worst player in the lineup, Brendan Haywood, had a career year last year. But was it a fluke? His scoring stats could have been padded by the fact that the team had to step up in the absence of Gilbert Arenas. McGee is a project they’ll have to work with, but as long as Haywood keeps playing good ball they won’t need him right away.)

19.Cleveland- Chris Douglas-Roberts (Lets run through Cleveland’s assets. Shooters? Delonte West, Wally Z, Damon Jones. Check. Scoring big man? Big Z. Check. Rebounders/Hustle guys? Ben Wallace and Anderson Varajao. Check. Guys who can create their own shot besides LeBron? Um…ut oh. CDR was maybe the best player in college basketball last year at creating his own shot and fills a void at shooting guard. Cleveland lands a junior All-American at #19.)

20.Denver- Mario Chalmers (If you have Anthony Carter as the starting point guard of your team, do you really expect to advance past the 1st round of the playoffs? Chalmers is a great shooter/defender to team up with Iverson in the backcourt.)

21.New Jersey- Jason Thompson (The nets add to their big man core of Boone, Williams, and Diop. The difference between Thompson and those guys is that he can shoot and score the ball, while the others are restricted to rebounding and defense. Thompson would also be added to the players who stay in the same state as their university.)

22.Orlando- Nicolas Batum (With two sg’s already off the board, and too early to take Lee or Walker, Orlando takes a player who had the potential to be a lottery pick both this year and last year. It’s well known that this is the position that Orlando covets in the draft or free agency.

23.Utah- Roy Hibbert (The pick on my mock that refuses to change. Jazz can't have jarron collins as their backup. Jerry Sloan is the best coach for him and the Jazz halfcourt sets are the best fit for Roy. Okur is also a perimiter big man so Hibbert gives them an alternate look. If you're gonna draft a center, why not one from georgetown?)

24.Seattle- Kosta Koufos (Seattle tries their luck yet again on a project big man. The difference this time is unlike Sene and Swift, they won’t have to use a lotter pick on him. Add in Johan Petro to the list, and Koufos is the only 1 of the foursome who has proved himself on a college basketball level. Wilcox and Collison are more power forward than center, and Seattle has really struggled to fill the tallest position on the team.)

25.Houston- Robin Lopez (The Rockets will eventually need someone who can replace Dekembe Mutombo as the center off the bench when he retires. Lopez will get the chance to learn from both him and Yao Ming on what it takes being a center in the league. Not guarenteed much playing time next year, but he doesn’t really need it as he should have stayed another year in college. A year of sitting and learning from some great big man will do him good.)

26.San Antonio- Alexis Ajinca (Spurs get another big man who hopefully they can keep unlike Tiago Splitter from last year. I wouldn’t be completely shocked if he was contributing last year with Tim Duncan’s minutes starting to diminish and Oberto not exactly the best big man in the game.)

27.New Orleans- Courtney Lee (Lee steps in as a sg that can replace the aging Morris Peterson and Bonzi Wells. The guy is just a great scorer and could eventually form a great backcourt with Chris Paul.

28.Memphis- JJ Hickson (Hickson, along with Kevin Love, will come in and help in the rebounding process while also adding a low post presence. Not as polished as love, Hickson could take some time to develop. He’s definitely someone worth waiting on though as the payoff could be huge.)

29.Detroit- Serge Ibaka (Detroit gets a project big man that they can put overseas and let develop. Size/rebounding is the only need of this Detroit team. Anything else they need to fix will have to be in another way besides the draft.)

30.Boston- DJ White (Boston gets a steal with the last pick of the 1st round in Indiana star DJ White. A player who can step right in and replace PJ Brown in the rotation, White fits right into the Boston championship mold. White averaged 17.4ppg, 10.3ppg, and 1.6bpg in college while improving each of his 4 years. White is young for a senior at 21 years old, only a few months older than OJ Mayo, and won’t turn 22 until the beginning of the regular season. Had Eric Gordon not been the freshman phenom that he was, DJ White could have had All American potential.)
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
disco
Great young streetballer
 
disco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 467
disco has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: Posterize's Mock Draft and Analysis 2.0 (last 15)

Of course I don't agree with every single pick, but this is a very good mock and you have done good thinking. Well done!
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011
 
Posterize246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Philly, PA
Posts: 15,763
Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Posterize's Mock Draft and Analysis 2.0 (last 15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco
Of course I don't agree with every single pick, but this is a very good mock and you have done good thinking. Well done!
thanks! picks 24-30 are where things start getting tricky because the talent pool starts thinning
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals
 
1~Gibson~1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,557
1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Posterize's Mock Draft and Analysis 2.0 (last 15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
16.Philadelphia- Marreese Speights (Philly’s most glaring need is power forward to go along with the future of Thaddeus Young, Lou Williams, and Andre Iguodala. The Sixers are a running style team who struggle in their half court sets. A low post presence is greatly lacking for this team. Without a double team worthy player in the post, defenders were able to stay close to the Sixer’s 3 point shooters and they ranked last in the league in that category. A low post workhourse who shot 62% in college will help.)

17.Toronto- Brandon Rush (It’s believed that Toronto’s biggest need is a center to play next to Chris Bosh and do the dirty work, yet Hibbert, Kofous, and Ajinca are not those players. In recent drafts Toronto has passed on such wing players as Andre Iguodala and Danny Granger. They would be foolish to believe Anthony Parker can be a starter for much longer and to pass on another. B Rush should be the pick here, not another big guy who can’t rebound. Araujo and Bargnani were enough.)

18.Washington- Javale McGee (No real weakness can be seen in the Wizards starting lineup. The worst player in the lineup, Brendan Haywood, had a career year last year. But was it a fluke? His scoring stats could have been padded by the fact that the team had to step up in the absence of Gilbert Arenas. McGee is a project they’ll have to work with, but as long as Haywood keeps playing good ball they won’t need him right away.)

19.Cleveland- Chris Douglas-Roberts (Lets run through Cleveland’s assets. Shooters? Delonte West, Wally Z, Damon Jones. Check. Scoring big man? Big Z. Check. Rebounders/Hustle guys? Ben Wallace and Anderson Varajao. Check. Guys who can create their own shot besides LeBron? Um…ut oh. CDR was maybe the best player in college basketball last year at creating his own shot and fills a void at shooting guard. Cleveland lands a junior All-American at #19.)

20.Denver- Mario Chalmers (If you have Anthony Carter as the starting point guard of your team, do you really expect to advance past the 1st round of the playoffs? Chalmers is a great shooter/defender to team up with Iverson in the backcourt.)

21.New Jersey- Jason Thompson (The nets add to their big man core of Boone, Williams, and Diop. The difference between Thompson and those guys is that he can shoot and score the ball, while the others are restricted to rebounding and defense. Thompson would also be added to the players who stay in the same state as their university.)

22.Orlando- Nicolas Batum (With two sg’s already off the board, and too early to take Lee or Walker, Orlando takes a player who had the potential to be a lottery pick both this year and last year. It’s well known that this is the position that Orlando covets in the draft or free agency.

23.Utah- Roy Hibbert (The pick on my mock that refuses to change. Jazz can't have jarron collins as their backup. Jerry Sloan is the best coach for him and the Jazz halfcourt sets are the best fit for Roy. Okur is also a perimiter big man so Hibbert gives them an alternate look. If you're gonna draft a center, why not one from georgetown?)

24.Seattle- Kosta Koufos (Seattle tries their luck yet again on a project big man. The difference this time is unlike Sene and Swift, they won’t have to use a lotter pick on him. Add in Johan Petro to the list, and Koufos is the only 1 of the foursome who has proved himself on a college basketball level. Wilcox and Collison are more power forward than center, and Seattle has really struggled to fill the tallest position on the team.)

25.Houston- Robin Lopez (The Rockets will eventually need someone who can replace Dekembe Mutombo as the center off the bench when he retires. Lopez will get the chance to learn from both him and Yao Ming on what it takes being a center in the league. Not guarenteed much playing time next year, but he doesn’t really need it as he should have stayed another year in college. A year of sitting and learning from some great big man will do him good.)

26.San Antonio- Alexis Ajinca (Spurs get another big man who hopefully they can keep unlike Tiago Splitter from last year. I wouldn’t be completely shocked if he was contributing last year with Tim Duncan’s minutes starting to diminish and Oberto not exactly the best big man in the game.)

27.New Orleans- Courtney Lee (Lee steps in as a sg that can replace the aging Morris Peterson and Bonzi Wells. The guy is just a great scorer and could eventually form a great backcourt with Chris Paul.

28.Memphis- JJ Hickson (Hickson, along with Kevin Love, will come in and help in the rebounding process while also adding a low post presence. Not as polished as love, Hickson could take some time to develop. He’s definitely someone worth waiting on though as the payoff could be huge.)

29.Detroit- Serge Ibaka (Detroit gets a project big man that they can put overseas and let develop. Size/rebounding is the only need of this Detroit team. Anything else they need to fix will have to be in another way besides the draft.)

30.Boston- DJ White (Boston gets a steal with the last pick of the 1st round in Indiana star DJ White. A player who can step right in and replace PJ Brown in the rotation, White fits right into the Boston championship mold. White averaged 17.4ppg, 10.3ppg, and 1.6bpg in college while improving each of his 4 years. White is young for a senior at 21 years old, only a few months older than OJ Mayo, and won’t turn 22 until the beginning of the regular season. Had Eric Gordon not been the freshman phenom that he was, DJ White could have had All American potential.)
1~Gibson~1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011
 
Posterize246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Philly, PA
Posts: 15,763
Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Posterize's Mock Draft and Analysis 2.0 (last 15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1~Gibson~1
haha glad I got your approval
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
CaptainOwlClub
Great young streetballer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 575
CaptainOwlClub has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Posterize's Mock Draft and Analysis 2.0 (last 15)

great job- i like most all your picks- they all seem to fit that team

i do wonder about your low rankings of hibbert, ajinca, & lopez- especially when you have b lopez going early and deandre jordon at 9??? what can you like about jordon? what is holding you back on the other 3?

for my nuggets at 20 i like chalmers, but i think there is a half a dozen players still on your board that i would pick for the nugs- i would take ajinca- for nugs pg i feel demarcus nelson in rd 2 would be a better fit than chalmers who i hope ends up w the spurs

i think toronto is interesting because i think they have to go c but you made a great case for rush

i just dont like another undersized big for boston- they already have enough of those guys that need minutes like powe & davis- they could use something else more than anothr pf imo ???

do you see alot of trades in this draft? with picks & nba players?
CaptainOwlClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:29 PM   #7
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011
 
Posterize246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Philly, PA
Posts: 15,763
Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Posterize's Mock Draft and Analysis 2.0 (last 15)

great job- i like most all your picks- they all seem to fit that team

Quote:
i do wonder about your low rankings of hibbert, ajinca, & lopez- especially when you have b lopez going early and deandre jordon at 9??? what can you like about jordon? what is holding you back on the other 3?
i base my mocks off of my own liking, jay bilas rankings, chad ford mocks, draftexpress.com, mynbadraft.com, nbadraft.net,insidehoops,newspaper articles, who's bringing in who for workouts, and team needs. most of what I have seen is that hibbert wont go above 17 to toronto. ajinca has impressed in workouts,but not enough to put him above the guys who have been projected in the lottery for months. he was brought in for a workout in charlotte i know,as was hibbert and jordan, but the workout was more to check out jordan against other big man competition more so than to look at hibbert and ajinca. brown loved his potential and athleticism and took time to work on him with hook shots after the workout

Quote:
for my nuggets at 20 i like chalmers, but i think there is a half a dozen players still on your board that i would pick for the nugs- i would take ajinca- for nugs pg i feel demarcus nelson in rd 2 would be a better fit than chalmers who i hope ends up w the spurs
who are your half dozen? the big difference between chalmer and demarcus is that chalmers will be able to start for them next year, while nelson is more likely to be a backup for his career. i'm not sure who you would take over him, as the nugs have AI and jr smith at the 2, carmelo locked at the 3, and a ton of bigs. anyone you bring in besides chalmers here will most likely have to progress before getting playing time or will be a bench player. chalmers can be a starter for the nugs next year.

i think toronto is interesting because i think they have to go c but you made a great case for rush

Quote:
i just dont like another undersized big for boston- they already have enough of those guys that need minutes like powe & davis- they could use something else more than anothr pf imo ???
this is the only one i cant defend myself on. i went dj white because I think he has too much talent to go 2nd round. what does a championship team need? i could go with a foreign talent here...but they're mostly big guys like ajinca,jawai,and ibaka.just had to put something in here.

Quote:
do you see alot of trades in this draft? with picks & nba players?
I think the likely trade teams are phoenix, new jersey, memphis, and indiana. indy isn't talked about much but jermaine o'neal could definately be a piece used to move up high in the draft to either seattle at 4 or memphis at 5.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:44 AM   #8
mattreis62
Good High School Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 869
mattreis62 has decent reputation
Default Re: Posterize's Mock Draft and Analysis 2.0 (last 15)

I think Koufos at 24 would be a steal for Seattle. I really don't see a 19 year old 7 footer with his skills slipping that far.

I noticed that you didn't mention R. Lopez in your analysis of Toronto's pick and he seems like the exact type of player that you would want next to Bosh. He's got energy, defense, and rebounding. Still, it would dbe a tough choice for Toronto if Rush is still on the board since he also seems to fill some of their holes.

Definitely a good mock though, very well thought out.
mattreis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
jtfacts
I airball my layups
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 43
jtfacts has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Posterize's Mock Draft and Analysis 2.0 (last 15)

You know I had to reply to this Posterize. Any draft with Hibbert going so low is wrong. I understand why some people don't like "Big Roy (BR)" but I am having a hard time distinguishing between B. Lopez and BR. All of the latest analysis (see Hollinger on ESPN) and Draftexpress (not their mock, but their comparisons) have Lopez and BR equal when comparing statistics. Some analysis have Hibbert better. Why is Lopez rated so much higher than BR? I am sure other GM's will not be fooled by these so called "mock drafts".
I am not saying BR will be drafted before Lopez, but I am saying that either could be chosen without choosing mistakenly.
jtfacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #10
Maniak
... :\
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 26,262
Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Posterize's Mock Draft and Analysis 2.0 (last 15)

yeah id love to see CDR on the cavs, hes an awesome player!

and i agree with what you say about toronto also, it seems B-Rush could be a good asset
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011
 
Posterize246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Philly, PA
Posts: 15,763
Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Posterize's Mock Draft and Analysis 2.0 (last 15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfacts
You know I had to reply to this Posterize. Any draft with Hibbert going so low is wrong. I understand why some people don't like "Big Roy (BR)" but I am having a hard time distinguishing between B. Lopez and BR. All of the latest analysis (see Hollinger on ESPN) and Draftexpress (not their mock, but their comparisons) have Lopez and BR equal when comparing statistics. Some analysis have Hibbert better. Why is Lopez rated so much higher than BR? I am sure other GM's will not be fooled by these so called "mock drafts".
I am not saying BR will be drafted before Lopez, but I am saying that either could be chosen without choosing mistakenly.
The reason Lopez is so much higher has a lot to do with his age. He's only 19 and is younger than some of the freshman that entered the draft. But I do admit, I'm getting kinda nervous about my Roy Hibbert later than 15 pick. But I'm stickin to my guns. I wouldn't look too much into Hollinger as he's all stats. He's the same guy that said it was impossible for Boston to get passed Cleveland in the 2nd round because of the "stats" and said it was impossible for Spurs to win game 7 in New Orleans. I think he's pretty much a joke.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #12
disco
Great young streetballer
 
disco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 467
disco has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: Posterize's Mock Draft and Analysis 2.0 (last 15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
The reason Lopez is so much higher has a lot to do with his age. He's only 19 and is younger than some of the freshman that entered the draft. But I do admit, I'm getting kinda nervous about my Roy Hibbert later than 15 pick. But I'm stickin to my guns. I wouldn't look too much into Hollinger as he's all stats. He's the same guy that said it was impossible for Boston to get passed Cleveland in the 2nd round because of the "stats" and said it was impossible for Spurs to win game 7 in New Orleans. I think he's pretty much a joke.

Not saying that this changes anything, but Lopez is 20 and Hibbert 21. Lopez a year and 5 months younger.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:49 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy