Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
CaptainOwlClub
Great young streetballer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 575
CaptainOwlClub has an OK reputation so far
Default mock 15

this is not a projection of how the draft will go- we all read the same lists, this is what i think should be- (i do think there will be some huge trades & it could start as early as a miami/memphis swap) but-

1-bulls- d rose pg memphis
2-heat- m beasley pf kstate
3-twolves- oj mayo pg/sg usc
4-sonics-j bayless pg arizona
5-grizz- b lopez pf/c stanford
6-knicks- r westbrook pg ucla
7-clippers- a randolph pf lsu
8-bucks- e gordon sg indiana
9-cats- r hibbert c georgetown
10-nets- a ajinca c france
11-pacers-c lee pg/sg w kentucky
12-kings-d gallinari sf italy
13-blazers-k love pf ucla
14-warriors-r lopez c stanford
15-suns-d jefferson sf usc

this is closer to what i think should be reality- so i guess im saying, right now the most underated players are hibbert, ajinca, lee & davon jefferson- the most overrated as far as draft pos is love- i want him to do well but i just dont see him as a #5ish pick?

i think miami will want brook lopez- i know they are saying oj but if they drop back my bet is lopez
CaptainOwlClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
disco
Great young streetballer
 
disco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 467
disco has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: mock 15

This is really interesting, and I love to see mocks where people think themselves rather than copy-paste "expert" mocks and change a few players around. I think every fan should watch the games, read the game summaries and check the stats + pay attention to the draft camp and the measurements, and based on that create their own lists. I think Tha Captain has done that, and that's great!!! Of course, most people don't agree with everything, but so what? You have come to that conclusion by using your brain.

I have done various different mocks by using different methods. One was by giving each player scores based on their ceiling (top 10 player, all star, starer, ect), likely status + how risky the pick is (how much experience, injuries, maturity etc) and using a formula that gives certain points for certain things. The outcome was this (doesn't take team needs into consideration). I know, most of you don't like this as a mock, but that's what my system created:

1 Rose
2 Beasley
3 Love
4 Mayo
5 Hibbert
6 Greene
7 Jordan
8 Arthur
9 B.Lopez
10 Rush
11 Gordon
12 Alexander
13 Speights
14 R.Lopez
15 Bayless
16 Walker
17 Westbrook
18 Douglas-Roberts
19 Hendrix
20 Lee
21 Gallinari
22 Augustin
23 Koufos
24 White
25 Chalmers
26 Randolph
27 Hickson
28 Nelson
29 Singletary
30 Pekovic

Last edited by disco : 06-21-2008 at 07:55 PM.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:11 AM   #3
monthh
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 971
monthh has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: mock 15

If I had to do a top 15 of how I think players should end up (while still looking at team need) this is how it would look:

1. Chicago-Rose
2. Miami-Beasley
3. Minnesota-Lopez
4. Seattle-Bayless
5. Memphis-Mayo
6. New York-Batum
7. L.A. Clippers-Gordon
8. Milwaukee-Westbrook
9. Charlotte-Jordan
10. New Jersey-Arthur
11. Indiana-Augustin
12. Sacramento-Love
13. Portland-Alexander
14. Golden State-Gallinari
15. Phoenix-Koufus

Again, that isn't the order of my top 15 players, but the order I would take players if I was the GM of each of those teams. I know there aren't any crazy picks except Batum, but I just think those are the top prospects.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #4
Hopper15
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 475
Hopper15 has not been impressing people
Default Re: mock 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainOwlClub
this is not a projection of how the draft will go- we all read the same lists, this is what i think should be- (i do think there will be some huge trades & it could start as early as a miami/memphis swap) but-

1-bulls- d rose pg memphis
2-heat- m beasley pf kstate
3-twolves- oj mayo pg/sg usc
4-sonics-j bayless pg arizona
5-grizz- b lopez pf/c stanford
6-knicks- r westbrook pg ucla
7-clippers- a randolph pf lsu
8-bucks- e gordon sg indiana
9-cats- r hibbert c georgetown
10-nets- a ajinca c france
11-pacers-c lee pg/sg w kentucky
12-kings-d gallinari sf italy
13-blazers-k love pf ucla
14-warriors-r lopez c stanford
15-suns-d jefferson sf usc

this is closer to what i think should be reality- so i guess im saying, right now the most underated players are hibbert, ajinca, lee & davon jefferson- the most overrated as far as draft pos is love- i want him to do well but i just dont see him as a #5ish pick?

i think miami will want brook lopez- i know they are saying oj but if they drop back my bet is lopez


That's by far the worst mock I've seen so far this year.
Hopper15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011
 
Posterize246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Philly, PA
Posts: 15,763
Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: mock 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainOwlClub
this is not a projection of how the draft will go- we all read the same lists, this is what i think should be- (i do think there will be some huge trades & it could start as early as a miami/memphis swap) but-

1-bulls- d rose pg memphis
2-heat- m beasley pf kstate
3-twolves- oj mayo pg/sg usc
4-sonics-j bayless pg arizona
5-grizz- b lopez pf/c stanford
6-knicks- r westbrook pg ucla
7-clippers- a randolph pf lsu
8-bucks- e gordon sg indiana
9-cats- r hibbert c georgetown
10-nets- a ajinca c france
11-pacers-c lee pg/sg w kentucky
12-kings-d gallinari sf italy
13-blazers-k love pf ucla
14-warriors-r lopez c stanford
15-suns-d jefferson sf usc

this is closer to what i think should be reality- so i guess im saying, right now the most underated players are hibbert, ajinca, lee & davon jefferson- the most overrated as far as draft pos is love- i want him to do well but i just dont see him as a #5ish pick?

i think miami will want brook lopez- i know they are saying oj but if they drop back my bet is lopez
I don't wanna pick this apart dude, so I'll just point out the big mistake. Davon Jefferson. His stock used to be as high as the mid 20s thats it. Now it's dropped to maybe the late 30s at the earliest. Some think he might not even be drafted. First the measurements hurt him as he only measured to be 6'6.5" in shoes, his max vert was only 32 inches, could only bench 180 lbs twice, he was towards the end of the list in the 3/4 court sprint, and he had 12% body fat (almost as much as kevin love,12.9). Not to mention he's reportedly been awful in workouts.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:56 AM   #6
monthh
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 971
monthh has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: mock 15

We picked based not on what we think will happen, but what we think should happen. CaptainOwl thinks that if he was picking for the Warriors, he would select Jefferson, no matter if Jefferson will go #1 or undrafted..
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:10 AM   #7
adiedanny
Die Hard Clippers Fan
 
adiedanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Covina,Ca
Posts: 921
adiedanny has decent reputation
Default Re: mock 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco
This is really interesting, and I love to see mocks where people think themselves rather than copy-paste "expert" mocks and change a few players around. I think every fan should watch the games, read the game summaries and check the stats + pay attention to the draft camp and the measurements, and based on that create their own lists. I think Tha Captain has done that, and that's great!!! Of course, most people don't agree with everything, but so what? You have come to that conclusion by using your brain.

I have done various different mocks by using different methods. One was by giving each player scores based on their ceiling (top 10 player, all star, starer, ect), likely status + how risky the pick is (how much experience, injuries, maturity etc) and using a formula that gives certain points for certain things. The outcome was this (doesn't take team needs into consideration). I know, most of you don't like this as a mock, but that's what my system created:

1 Rose
2 Beasley
3 Love
4 Mayo
5 Hibbert
6 Greene
7 Jordan
8 Arthur
9 B.Lopez
10 Rush
11 Gordon
12 Alexander
13 Speights
14 R.Lopez
15 Bayless
16 Walker
17 Westbrook
18 Douglas-Roberts
19 Hendrix
20 Lee
21 Gallinari
22 Augustin
23 Koufos
24 White
25 Chalmers
26 Randolph
27 Hickson
28 Nelson
29 Singletary
30 Pekovic
I'm not mocking you but why did you put Greene at the 6th pick? I really like that move but I'm curious why you put him so high. I have to disagree with you on the 7th pick. The Clippers need a guard and unless Beasley or Love is available, the pick will be used on a guard. Unless you meant Gordon at the 7th and Jordan at the 11th.
adiedanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:33 AM   #8
disco
Great young streetballer
 
disco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 467
disco has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: mock 15

That list didn't take needs into account. I gave players scores based on what I see their potential being and how risky picks they are. This wasn't done in a very scientific way, and I think Greene is someone I may have overestimated a bit. Because of his shot and size for a three spot, I think he is a low risk choice in that he is almost certain to be able to contribute. But I must say that at the same time there could be questions about the likelyhood of him reaching his full potential. This wasn't really a mock. Just an excercise to see what kind of scores people got when I rated them on a scale 1-10 based on potentia and 1-6 based on risk. I weighted potential by 1.5 and simply multiplied the two numbers.

Last edited by disco : 06-23-2008 at 03:45 PM.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:52 AM   #9
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011
 
Posterize246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Philly, PA
Posts: 15,763
Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: mock 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
We picked based not on what we think will happen, but what we think should happen. CaptainOwl thinks that if he was picking for the Warriors, he would select Jefferson, no matter if Jefferson will go #1 or undrafted..
my fault. I misread. I stil disagree with him being so high but I see what he's doing now
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:29 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy