Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here
Default Support JaJuan Robinson

Quote:
If you looked at the official release of who was in and out for the NBA Draft, you might have noticed a freshman named JaJuan Robinson from Lincoln (PA) University. Why would a freshman from a D-III program, that nobody knows anything about be in the NBA Draft? Is this another smart-assed kid just trying to have fun with the system?

Sadly, it is not. JaJuan Robinson is a 24-year old, 5-11 "freshman," who has taken a long time to get to this point. At one time he was a decent enough high school prospect. A 2-star recruit from Baltimore. A scrappy point guard who was known for hard play on both ends.

He was actually part of Big East school, Providence's 2004 recruiting class (after taking a 5th year of high school at prep school in South Carolina). Apparently he suffered a minor knee injury in an offseason practice and then left the school a month into the season for the always nebulous "personal reasons."

That's where he disappeared (or at least dropped off of any search engine).

After a year, presumably back home in Baltimore, he resurfaced with the Lincoln Lions in 2006. Robinson was apparently very good on the court. According to Rob Knox, Lincoln's Assistant AD for Sports Information Management, he earned numerous honors during his brief stay with Lincoln. He was MVP of the Franklin & Marshall Tip-Off Tournament as well as the Cyrus D. Jones Tournament. He was named to the all-tournament team at RDV Orlando Shootout and also named Player of the Week by the Association of Division III Independents in December, 2006.

Unfortunately, although he averaged the most points on the team, Robinson only appeared in half the games in 2006-07. After his first semester, Robinson was not permitted to suit up for the team because of academic issues. He left Lincoln rather than try to get his grades in order as soon as that happened and was not on the roster for the 2007-08 season.

Robinson loves basketball above all else it seems. In his old Providence profile he lists his hobbies as "Playing basketball, watching movies and working out." Apparently he is now leaving school issues behind to work towards what he really wants: playing basketball.

It won't be in the NBA -- Robinson just doesn't have a chance. But entering the draft will put his name out there. Maybe an NBA team will at least work him out. Maybe offer him an NBDL deal. Maybe the CBA will have a spot. Or, perhaps a team outside of the US will see his name on the list of available players and give him a call after the draft. Perhaps his improbable draft entry is the smartest thing JaJuan Robinson has ever done. He won't hear his name called by an NBA team next Thursday -- but he may just find himself playing basketball anyway.

I've played against JaJuan before,I didn't know he had even applied for the NBA Draft because I didn't know his last name but after I looked him up I'm like WTF.

It's a strange feeling knowing someone in the NBA Draft,espescially someone you've played basketball with for the past 2 summers really.

I'm not going to make a prediction and say he's going to be better than Derrick Rose but he can really ball and his handles alone could get him on one of the streetball teams in NY or And1 if they're still around.He's as fast as some of these NBA PG's and he can score at will if you let him get some breathing room to get his shot off.

But street leagues isn't that great of competition when most guys playing are either one time college basketball players,community college players,high school players,and streetballers.

@ me doing a scouting report.

Next time I see him I'll tell him how I'm showing my support but hopefully he can make the NBDL and go from there.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:47 AM   #2
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Support JaJuan Robinson

He has a good story, though. I think we sometimes get so caught up in talking about these players like Rose and Mayo who are so great they could play with their eyes closed, and forget the thousands of players who love this game and do their best to try to make it to the NBA against all odds.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
He has a good story, though. I think we sometimes get so caught up in talking about these players like Rose and Mayo who are so great they could play with their eyes closed, and forget the thousands of players who love this game and do their best to try to make it to the NBA against all odds.
Yeah I agree.

People will always say that popularity doesn't matter but it does espescially for athletes,we've known of Rose/Mayo/etc for years up until this day but I can confidently say that there are some PG's out there who are just as good as them but are overlooked due to the competition they're playing and the fact nobody really knows of them.

That overlooking limits their chances to really get to showcase themselves in the NBA,Europe or NBDL and they wind up in the CBA or one of the other basketball minor leagues and could get a chance to showcase themselves and may show to be dominate but they still get overlooked.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

To be fair, however, a lot of those guys that get overlooked tend to have checkered pasts or major issues with their games. I've played with guys that I thought could be in the NBA, but when they play against a real "NBA type" player, they get killed. I think I have a little inside look on this because I was on Darius Miles' team for a year and played in pickup games with Q Richardson. I grew up with really good players that went on to be high scorers on D-2 teams and dominated in streetball games, but against Miles and Q, they got killed. Richardson would hit like 8 out of 10 shots from like 25 feet, and even Darius would hit 3's with ease. It is hard to believe how good these players are. I went to a Celtics game this year and Big Baby must have hit like 7 out of 10 3's in warmups, and he never leaves the paint. The way they moved was different as well. They could just almost float to the rim. I knew a lot of guys that could dunk, but they had to get running starts, travel, and then jump just right. At that Celtics game, Aaron Brooks at like 5-10 would just kind of take a step and put the ball in with room to spare. All of these guys are so talented that even the scrubs can do the things they are not known for better than great non-NBA players can do. Sorry for the rant, but yeah, I have never even heard of Robinson so maybe he really is this good, but I just don't agree that there are many gaurds in college as good as Rose and Mayo. They may put up great numbers and look great in their leagues, but in the Pac-10 or even CUSA, they are probably just bench players.

Teams also want guys that are already known so that fans will come to see them and they don't want their 10th man to be a guy with a history of getting in trouble.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: