Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-25-2008, 08:21 AM   #16
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: LOTTERY BUST - D.J. Augustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
I think desire and basketball IQ is just as important as height. Augustin took a very average team to a much better record than expected last season. He is a playmaker who can score and pass and usually makes the right decision. I think on the defensive end you should have pointed out that those guys who helped take their team to the championship are usually good defenders.

Honestly, though, the only think that seems to be a trend to look into is that most championship teams have a good big man and a good gaurd. Augustin with the Celtics could win a championship. Plus, lets say he goes to Indiana at 11, who should they take that really gives them a better chance at a championship? Using your thought proccess, Indiana might as well draft JaJaun Smith because he is 6-2.
All you can ask from your starting point guard.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:24 AM   #17
jtfacts
I airball my layups

jtfacts has an OK reputation so far

I am tired of this ignorance. Posterize, if Allen Iverson takes more SHOTS PER GAME and has a LOWER FG% THAN CARMELO, HE IS THE PRIMARY OPTION ON DENVER!! DO YOU KNOW WHAT FG% MEANS? Life lesson here Posterize: Look at Actions, not Words. Allen Iverson PLAYS THE MOST MINUTES PER GAME, TAKES THE MOST SHOTS PER GAME AND SCORES THE MOST POINTS PER GAME ON DENVER. HE IS THE NUMBER ONE OPTION BY HIS ACTIONS, NOT THE MARKETING PUT OUT BY THE NUGGETS. I know it hurts when you are wrong, but just accept it and move on.

Now for you others, here is your homework. HOW MANY STARTING POINT GUARDS IN THE LEAGUE ARE UNDER 6'0" TALL.? I already know the answer.

D.J. measured 5'10" without shoes. My argument against him is to not pick him in the lottery; I wouldn't pick him in the first round. He is a backup at best. When you have the talent that you have in this draft, why pick up a backup point guard, who will not be in the league in 5 years, with your first pick?
jtfacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:29 AM   #18
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfacts
I am tired of this ignorance. Posterize, if Allen Iverson takes more SHOTS PER GAME and has a LOWER FG% THAN CARMELO, HE IS THE PRIMARY OPTION ON DENVER!! DO YOU KNOW WHAT FG% MEANS? Life lesson here Posterize: Look at Actions, not Words. Allen Iverson PLAYS THE MOST MINUTES PER GAME, TAKES THE MOST SHOTS PER GAME AND SCORES THE MOST POINTS PER GAME ON DENVER. HE IS THE NUMBER ONE OPTION BY HIS ACTIONS, NOT THE MARKETING PUT OUT BY THE NUGGETS. I know it hurts when you are wrong, but just accept it and move on.

Now for you others, here is your homework. HOW MANY STARTING POINT GUARDS IN THE LEAGUE ARE UNDER 6'0" TALL.? I already know the answer.

D.J. measured 5'10" without shoes. My argument against him is to not pick him in the lottery; I wouldn't pick him in the first round. He is a backup at best. When you have the talent that you have in this draft, why pick up a backup point guard, who will not be in the league in 5 years, with your first pick?

Carmelo Anthony...19.2 fg attempted per game
Allen Iverson...19.0 fg attempted per game

just where are you getting your info?
Old 06-25-2008, 09:21 AM   #19
jtfacts
I airball my layups

Posterize, include 3 point shots. Iverson's 3.4 per game and Melo 2.1.

19 + 3.4 = 22.4 - Iverson

19.2 + 2.1 = 21.3 - Melo

I get my information from:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/de...wYUtV3bm170bYF
Old 06-25-2008, 09:25 AM   #20
disco
Great young streetballer

disco has no real reputation yet.

3pointers are included in general FG totals.

PS I predict Augustin will slip outside lottery
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:28 AM   #21
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Posterize, include 3 point shots. Iverson's 3.4 per game and Melo 2.1.

19 + 3.4 = 22.4 - Iverson

19.2 + 2.1 = 21.3 - Melo

I get my information from:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/de...wYUtV3bm170bYF
I see where you're messing up now. It was an easy mistake. When they write fg, it's TOTAL fg, not 2 point fg.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:28 AM   #22
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

I see Disco got to my answer first.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:30 AM   #23
disco
Great young streetballer

disco has no real reputation yet.

I think in most European leagues there are separate stats for 2's and 3's. And to be honest, I think that might be a better way to present the stats.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #24
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

Wow @ comparing DJ Augustin to TJ Ford in college.

Anyways DJ Augustin will be an All-Star PG and he measured at a little under 6'0 but to make an argument that any PG under 6'0 will be a bust is ridiculous as if the 1 inch in height between him and CP3 is crucial,Augustin is a floor leader and has range on his shot along with speed to get to the basket,draw contact,and hit his FT's.

I don't think he will be counted on on the defensive side of the ball though,He probably can contain on defense but I doubt he'll shut down over 85% of PG's in the NBA.

Last edited by Interminator : 06-25-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:32 AM   #25
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
Wow @ comparing DJ Augustin to TJ Ford in college.:WTF:
where at?
Old 06-25-2008, 10:41 AM   #26
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
where at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
TJ Ford at the predraft measurements...5'11" 162 lbswith a wingspan of only 5'11.5"

2007-2008 stats
12.1 ppg
6.1 ppg
1.1 spg
47 fg%
88 3fg%
in only 23.5 MPG!

2006-2007 stats
14 ppg
7.9 apg
1.3 spg

Just so happens to also be from Texas. DJ could have very similar numbers to TJ. DJ has been the best floor leader in college basketball the last 2 years. Nobody's expecting him to be the next great point guard in the NBA but with how many busts are in the lottery, finding a solid role player at the end of the lottery is just fine.

Yeah nvm I understand the point you're trying to get at with defending PG's under 6'0.

I just would've expected a comparison between Augustin to Stoudamire would work better though,TJ Ford was a penetrating PG who took almost all of his shots as layups and still to this day can't find consistency in his shot outside 10 feet from the basket.

Augustin has in inside/outside game and can create for his teammates but he had to force it a lot because he had to score since there was really not a player on the team who could've been counted on to help until Damion James began to step up towards the end of the season.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:02 AM   #27
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
Yeah nvm I understand the point you're trying to get at with defending PG's under 6'0.

I just would've expected a comparison between Augustin to Stoudamire would work better though,TJ Ford was a penetrating PG who took almost all of his shots as layups and still to this day can't find consistency in his shot outside 10 feet from the basket.

Augustin has in inside/outside game and can create for his teammates but he had to force it a lot because he had to score since there was really not a player on the team who could've been counted on to help until Damion James began to step up towards the end of the season.
I wasn't really trying to compare their games there. Just trying to point out that DJ could have similar stats to those.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #28
jtfacts
I airball my layups

I admit my mistake with the FG% and 3pt shots, but it was meaningless. 19 attempts vs. 19.2 attempts are basically equal. Iverson still plays the most minutes and scores the most points.

If D.J. Augustin is still in the league in 5 years I will run through TIMES SQUARE NAKED. Look for it on the news in 2014

Did anyone answer my previous question about the height of starting NBA point guards around the league? There isn't anyone listed below 6 feet tall (although we know that not true, right Jameer).

I am sorry for all you short guy lovers, but they just can't guard anybody in the Pros.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #29
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
If D.J. Augustin is still in the league in 5 years I will run through TIMES SQUARE NAKED. Look for it on the news in 2014
5 years are you serious? Tell me where these players will be in 5 years.

TJ Ford
Mike Conley
Raymond Felton
Jameer Nelson
Chris Paul
Earl Watson
Mo Williams
Rajon Rondo
Kyle Lowry
Nate Robinson
Jannero Pargo
Bobby Jackson(although he's older)

Don't see a single reason why DJ couldn't be added to that list of little guys.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #30
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Did anyone answer my previous question about the height of starting NBA point guards around the league? There isn't anyone listed below 6 feet tall (although we know that not true, right Jameer).

Raymond Felton 5'11.5"
Mo Williams is 6'0.5"
Earl Watson is 6'0" even
Jameer Nelson 5'10.25"
Mike Conley 5'11.75"
Chris Paul 5'11.75"
Brevin Knight 5'9.5"
Jannero Pargo 6'0.25"
Nate Robinson 5'7.75"

There's your 6'0" and under starters. Of those players...6 are regular starters, Brevin Knight has started over 2/3 of his nba games, Pargo has become a regular contributor,and Robinson is droppin 14ppg. Out of the league in 5 years?

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-...&pos=&s ort=1

oh yeah I forgot. Laugh if you want but Sebastian Telfair was the starting point guard for the TWolves last year.

Last edited by Posterize246 : 06-25-2008 at 12:43 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: