Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
Interminator
Banned

Default Corey Maggette To Phoenix?

Quote:
One potential deal that could have an interesting impact on both teams? Sounds like the Suns and Clippers are talking about a deal that would send the No. 7 pick and Corey Maggette to Phoenix for Barbosa and the No. 15 pick.

That deal only works if Maggette decides not to opt out of his contract this week. If he opts out, Maggette couldn't be signed-and-traded until mid-July.

I'd rather take Gerald Wallace than Maggette if I were Phoenix,but Maggette would be a good contributer.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

Default Re: Corey Maggette To Phoenix?

I thought Magette was goign to opt out though?
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
dirkdiggler41
(no Dirk homer)

Yea, but its a lot easyer to get Maggette. I just feel that Maggette will be another g.Hill for them.
dirkdiggler41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdiggler41
Yea, but its a lot easyer to get Maggette. I just feel that Maggette will be another g.Hill for them.

except for that maggette will be 29 when the season starts, and hill will be 36...
hill in his prime, no contest, better then maggette... but maggette got 22 and 6 rebounds a game this season and is a better shooter (38% from 3, vs 31% for hill).

i like the move if it gets done.
gotbacon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
Locked_Up_Tonight
National High School Star

He did opt out. The only way that deal works is if the Clippers draft the player Phx wants and Phx drafts the player that the Clipps want, then they trade.
Locked_Up_Tonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
starface
Banned

LOL i wouldnt trade Cornelius for Barbosa straight up, let alone move DOWN 8 spots the draft in order to do so.

Elgin Baylor, your betta than that!

.......no you're not.

......mama there goes that man
starface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #7
Duck Rodgers
Serious playground baller

I guess I'm confused why the Clippers would move down in the draft....because in my mind.....Maggs > > > Barbosa.
Duck Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:05 PM   #8
statman32
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
He did opt out. The only way that deal works is if the Clippers draft the player Phx wants and Phx drafts the player that the Clipps want, then they trade.
He didn't opt out yet. Way to make up information
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
3stat2
Local High School Star

What the? Maggette is 28 and Barbosa is 25. Barbosa is an undersized SG who is fast in the open court but has poor decision making skills and abysmal defense. He's extremely good at making layups on fast breaks. Barbosa is generally a good 3 pt shooter but if he's off, he'll be very off and act like a chucker. Too many times this season have I seen him throw up a brick in crunch time, when Amare has a mismatch on him and has good position.

Maggette on the other hand is an athletic swingman who gets opponents into foul trouble, scored 6.5ppg more than Barbosa on similar shooting %, is a decent defender and a good rebounder.

But consider on top of this, the Clippers would lose 8 places in the draft. I just don't understand why the Clips would do this. It makes no sense to me.

I'd absolutely love for it to happen, you always like to see your team completely shaft another, but I don't think it will.
3stat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #10
kidachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
I'd rather take Gerald Wallace than Maggette if I were Phoenix,but Maggette would be a good contributer.

me too.

but it's a close one.. Magette's a chucker but GW's has avg shooting..
Old 06-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #11
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Maggette >> Barbosa, 7th Pick >> 15th pick. Horrible trade for the Clippers indeed.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #12
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidachi
me too.

but it's a close one.. Magette's a chucker but GW's has avg shooting..
I would make the deal only if Maggette ended up in Charlotte,and Wallace ended up in Phoenix.

I think Los Angeles is trying to make a deal like this because the only Guard's available at #7 will be DJ Augustin,& Eric Gordon.

Although Eric Gordon has skills,I wouldn't be too happy drafting Gordon at #7 and the same for DJ Augustin.

Barbosa right now is a better player than both and he can play both Guard positions and don't forget Al Thornton can easily take over at the 3 for Maggette.

Los Angeles would probably slide down to #15 and grab Brandon Rush or possibly get Augustin there if he falls to that point which is extremely possible.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:39 PM   #13
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Not sure why the Clipps do this, but it would be great for te Suns. They would get a scorer in Maggette and allow Hill to come off the bench where he would be better suited to do so.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #14
PejaNowitzki
#1 Manute Bol Fan

If ANY of these rumors are true, then Phoenix is nicely set to f%^k over a lot of teams on these deals.

Barbosa and pick 15 for Maggette and Pick 7? WTF???

Diaw and a future 2nd rounder for Nesterovic and Pick 17????

If any one of these pan out, Phoenix is going to gain a lot of financial flexibility, and get younger in a hurry.
PejaNowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #15
Locked_Up_Tonight
National High School Star

Quote:
He didn't opt out yet. Way to make up information.

Well, he technically can't opt out til a certain date. But it will happen. It is like a team "signing" a player between July 1-10... they may not be officially signed until the ink is dried.... but 99% of the time it happens. There is always a Carlos Boozer. But if you want to play the 1% chance instead of the 99% chance then there are some bright lights in Nevada waiting for your money....

Maggette Will Opt Out Soon
More Clippers News

Jun 11, 2008 9:48 AM EST

Clippers' guard Corey Maggette will officially opt out of his contract at the end of the month, according to The Los Angeles Times.

He will become an unrestricted free agent, with teammate Elton Brand having the same option.

Coach Mike Dunleavy still believes that both will be playing for the team next season.

"The reality is that there's no money out there," Dunleavy said of the market value for free agents. Later, he added, "People will come to reality and probably make a deal. That's how I see it."
Locked_Up_Tonight is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: