Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-24-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

Default Chad Ford: Veteran GMs comment on draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Ford
Think you've got the Rose-Beasley debate figured out? One respected NBA general manager who's drafting in the second half of the first round said the Bulls and virtually everyone else is getting it wrong.

"Michael Beasley is far and away the best player in this draft," the GM said. "He's going to dominate in this league. How could you pass on him? I know everyone is talking about character this and character that, but come on, he's not a bad kid."

As for Rose, the GM says he thinks he's overrated: "Derrick Rose is a good player, I get that. But he's not a franchise player. I don't think people are getting with Rose what they think they're getting. He's athletic and plays really hard. But he has just decent court vision and can't take over a game offensively."

When asked about the Heat possibly passing on Beasley at No. 2, the GM said, "It's a joke. He's so much better than anything the Heat are going to get offered. I don't understand it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some veteran GMs drafting later in the first round are scratching their heads at our last mock draft -- especially some of the high risers in the draft.

"Russell Westbrook is a role player who probably is a sixth man on a good team," one GM said. "How has he risen to a top-10 pick? I'd take Leandro Barbosa over him any day of the week. Westbrook is athletic, fast and plays defense, but a top-10 pick? I don't see it."

Here's another GM on Robin Lopez: "Can you name the last time a guy who averaged five rebounds per game in college was suddenly labeled a rebounder in the draft? Robin Lopez is a backup, not a lottery or mid-first-round pick."

Said another GM: "Name one international player who has made [it
in our league who's averaged five points per game or less in his home country. Alexis Ajinca is a workout wonder, but there is no precedent for a player with his poor production making it in the league. He's going in the lottery?"

Kinda makes you put the draft in perspective a little huh? There right a lot of these guys have all the skills and measurables in the world but haven't produced, and some haven't even "led" their teams on any level. This draft we could end up seeing more busts than usual.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Default Re: Chad Ford: Veteran GMs comment on draft

I agree with a lot of those comments.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
bjtrdff
Darrick Martin's Coach

I agree, but to be fair Kevin McHale is a 'veteran GM' now, so I think that also puts things in perspective.
bjtrdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
steve

Yeah, I'm not all that trusting of an anonymous GM considering they all have their own agendas at this time of the year.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:00 PM   #6
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

Kevin Pritchard, Blazers GM about the draft:

"we were locked in that room for about 10 hours yesterday, and we've got a long way to go." Part of it will be sorting through the many smoke screens and disinformation tossed out by teams and agents during this time of the year.

"Everyone is lying to everyone," laughed Pritchard. "That's just the way it goes right now. Nobody wants to tip their hand, and I'm certainly the same way. If teams are really praising one guy or another, you can rest assured, they're not taking him in the draft. Our job is go through the scenarios and offers, one by one."
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
bjtrdff
Darrick Martin's Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
Yeah, I'm not all that trusting of an anonymous GM considering they all have their own agendas at this time of the year.

Great point as well.
bjtrdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:10 PM   #8
Run&Gun=Fun
128 time NBA All Star

Wouldn't surprose me if the Gm who criticized Westbrook has pick 7-12 and wants him bad.
Run&Gun=Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:00 PM   #9
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

I agree with basically everything thats in there, it wouldn't surprise me if everything there are GMs thinking what Ford said. Alot of guys in this draft don't have the resume normal picks that go as high as they are projected have. We'll see how things go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run&Gun=Fun
Wouldn't surprose me if the Gm who criticized Westbrook has pick 7-12 and wants him bad.

If he's being honest these GMs pick lower in the draft. Who knows though.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #10
DuMa
Canned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCity07
Kevin Pritchard, Blazers GM about the draft:

"we were locked in that room for about 10 hours yesterday, and we've got a long way to go." Part of it will be sorting through the many smoke screens and disinformation tossed out by teams and agents during this time of the year.

"Everyone is lying to everyone," laughed Pritchard. "That's just the way it goes right now. Nobody wants to tip their hand, and I'm certainly the same way. If teams are really praising one guy or another, you can rest assured, they're not taking him in the draft. Our job is go through the scenarios and offers, one by one."
thats what i want to hear.... team management lying and deceiving other teams to overrate a player and get the player they want. and other team management wasting other team management times to get them to panic while on the clock.

the NBA Draft gets more evil every year
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:12 AM   #11
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Batum and Jordan havent been getting much attention on this board. I wonder why? Could it be nbadraft.net doesnt rank them highly anymore? lol

I agree with those GMs comments. Robin Lopez is a softy that shouldnt be no damn mid first rounder.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:20 AM   #12
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

Robin's problem in Collage was playing out of position, and defering to his brother too much. He played hard, but was indecisive. He was way too scrappy to be labeled soft. If he's around at 17 he'd be great fit for Toronto. He's not going to be an all star, but his upside is a bigger Anderson Varejao, which T.O. could deperately use.
Valliant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:02 PM   #13
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I think I'll cry if the Raptors take Lopez. It's only a 17th pick but to waste any draft pick is a shame. The guy has no offensive game, isn't that good of a rebounder and was only considered a solid defensive player because of the size and strength advantage he had on everyone in the PAC-10. Lopez will be a guy that defenses completely ignore, will grab you a few rebounds and nothing more.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #14
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Here's another GM on Robin Lopez: "Can you name the last time a guy who averaged five rebounds per game in college was suddenly labeled a rebounder in the draft? Robin Lopez is a backup, not a lottery or mid-first-round pick."

lopez twins are so overrated.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #15
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

All these GM's are picking late first round. Why would they send out smoke screens for top 10 picks?
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: