Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-25-2008, 11:39 AM   #16
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Chad Ford: Veteran GMs comment on draft

Quote:
As for Rose, the GM says he thinks he's overrated: "Derrick Rose is a good player, I get that. But he's not a franchise player. I don't think people are getting with Rose what they think they're getting. He's athletic and plays really hard. But he has just decent court vision and can't take over a game offensively."

I have been saying this for about a year.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:03 PM   #17
zadok
I hit open layups

zadok has an OK reputation so far

you must be tired.
zadok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:40 PM   #18
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Can't say I disagree with anything those GM's said.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:34 PM   #19
Mathius

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Batum and Jordan havent been getting much attention on this board. I wonder why? Could it be nbadraft.net doesnt rank them highly anymore? lol

I agree with those GMs comments. Robin Lopez is a softy that shouldnt be no damn mid first rounder.

I don't follow college, but I've been trying to watch the draft talk for my Cavalier's, and some of the stuff is downright ridiculous.

I've seen sites and publications list CDR and Brandon Rush above Gordon on their "SG charts" and then turn around and do a mock draft on the same site, and put Gordon above both of them.

Also, the Cleveland Plain Dealer keeps claiming that draft "experts" insist the Cavaliers will take a big man at #19, but that makes zero sense at all.

First off, the only big man ever to amount to anything this decade at #19 was Zach Randolph.

Drafting a big man that late is pretty much admitting you don't have a sure pick and you're just going to roll the dice.

Lastly, and most importantly, Lebron James wants to win now, and hates rebuilding. It would be nice to think we could bring in a guy and groom him to replace Z or Wallace down the road, but we need a guy who can impact the team now. And historically, that's a scorer, which IMHO is exactly what we need anyways.

BTW, the fact that the GM interviewed WAS anonymous, to me, basically makes his story more credible. If all the GM's are trying to deceive each other and he was going to give out bad information for a smoke screen, he'd probably have no problem giving out his name.

Of course Chad Ford doesn't seem to have the greatest reputation, so it's possible he made the whole thing up for a story.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #20
Da KO King

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
I don't follow college, but I've been trying to watch the draft talk for my Cavalier's, and some of the stuff is downright ridiculous.

I've seen sites and publications list CDR and Brandon Rush above Gordon on their "SG charts" and then turn around and do a mock draft on the same site, and put Gordon above both of them.
You have to realize that doing a mock is more about how you think the draft will shape up and less about how you rank the players. That's why people make a distinction between their "big board ranking" (best players in order in their opinion) and their mock drafts.

Quote:
Also, the Cleveland Plain Dealer keeps claiming that draft "experts" insist the Cavaliers will take a big man at #19, but that makes zero sense at all.

First off, the only big man ever to amount to anything this decade at #19 was Zach Randolph.

Drafting a big man that late is pretty much admitting you don't have a sure pick and you're just going to roll the dice.
The reason that so many people are saying that the Cavs will take a big guy is because of the age of Zydrunas Ilgaulkas (sp?) combined with the talent of the bigs expected to be available when the Cavs pick. It's extremely rare to see as many quality guys with height as the Cavs will likely see.

Marreese Speights
DeAndre Jordan
Roy Hibbert
Darrell Arthur
JaVale McGee
Robin Lopez
Jason Thompson
Kosta Koufos
J.J. Hickson

In that group you have three guys (Thompson, Jordan, and McGee) with plus athleticism along with excellent size/length. You also have two guys in Koufus and Hibbert with enough skills to be double digit scorers from day one. The rest of the guys can be productive backups as rookies.

Honestly unless Brandon Rush or Chris Douglas-Roberts falls to the Cavs I think they will go with one of those big guys.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:14 PM   #21
Mathius

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
You have to realize that doing a mock is more about how you think the draft will shape up and less about how you rank the players. That's why people make a distinction between their "big board ranking" (best players in order in their opinion) and their mock drafts.

Right, but unless there's some kind of personality conflict, you'd think if your team needed a SG, they'd take the best possible SG, not pass on two of them and take Gordon.

Quote:
The reason that so many people are saying that the Cavs will take a big guy is because of the age of Zydrunas Ilgaulkas (sp?) combined with the talent of the bigs expected to be available when the Cavs pick. It's extremely rare to see as many quality guys with height as the Cavs will likely see.

Marreese Speights
DeAndre Jordan
Roy Hibbert
Darrell Arthur
JaVale McGee
Robin Lopez
Jason Thompson
Kosta Koufos
J.J. Hickson

In that group you have three guys (Thompson, Jordan, and McGee) with plus athleticism along with excellent size/length. You also have two guys in Koufus and Hibbert with enough skills to be double digit scorers from day one. The rest of the guys can be productive backups as rookies.

Honestly unless Brandon Rush or Chris Douglas-Roberts falls to the Cavs I think they will go with one of those big guys.

I understand all that as well, but to me, taking a big man that late is just a toss up. The draft is too unpredictable. Odds are much better on a skill player, there have been a LOT more late round skill player's panning out than big men. Hell, big men don't even pan out in the lottery more than half the time.

Brandon Rush's stock seems to be rising. I've seen CDR predicted as early as #15 to the Suns, to #27 to NO.

Anyways, from what I've heard, I'm thinking the Cavs have a very good chance of getting 1 of them. Otherwise, I'm hearing as far as big men go, there may be more talented ones, but Hibbert seems to be the most "pro ready center" from what I'm hearing. I haven't seen him high on anyone's draft lists, but that was before Charlotte made it clear they were trying to move up and get him.

Even after acquiring Denver's pick though, the Cavs draft first, unless Charlotte's going to take him at #9, which doesn't seem likely.

Mathius
Old 06-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #22
Da KO King

Quote:
Right, but unless there's some kind of personality conflict, you'd think if your team needed a SG, they'd take the best possible SG, not pass on two of them and take Gordon.
Eric Gordon has far more hype/value than Brandon Rush and Chris Douglas-Roberts. Sometimes doing a mock draft is about predicting a team's stupidity just as much as figuring out who the best prospects are.

As for the thing with the big guys honestly I think the only way the Cavs go big is if both Rush and CDR are off the board.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #23
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Jasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

You don't need to watch a ton of college hoop to see what's what.
Beasley I watched play maybe 3-4 times .
Immediately with his athletic bod , strength , height , floor presence -
Before final 4 even played I had picked Beasley as a shoe in NBA guy generating 17/10 and later even higher ... but his foul trouble will be something any coaching staff will need to school him about 'NBA'

if a dumb sheat like me can spot talent 3/4 through the season in college hoop ball ;, Ford writes a feeder paper to the public about a Professional GM of a professional ball club ... saying Beasley is the guy . (that's not a hard nose article folks)

Get my drift.
All drafts usually have 5-9 very solid NBA type players. (with careers)
This draft is the same - top 5 or so will have long careers' then you have role players and depending on longevity .. maybe careers
Careers =10 years
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:59 PM   #24
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation

Quote:

Mathius

didn't your team draft boozer in the second round? jermaine o'neal was a late first rounder...

you're just ignorant.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:52 PM   #25
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
As for the thing with the big guys honestly I think the only way the Cavs go big is if both Rush and CDR are off the board.

Might be interesting if they took Hibbert at #19 and swung some kind of a deal with Charlotte. I'd have to look at their roster to see what could go down, but I hear Wallace is on the block, and moving to SG, or even coming off the bench would definitely help him stay off the concussion list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
didn't your team draft boozer in the second round? jermaine o'neal was a late first rounder...

you're just ignorant.

Hey retard. I said at pick #19. I didn't say 2nd round, late first round, anything. Wake up and read.

And I specifically said at #19, because that's part of the PD articles I was bi+ching about above.

Next time you call someone ignorant, make sure you're not being stupid first. Ignorant is lack of knowledge. Looking at something in plain writing and then berating someone because you couldn't read plain english sounds pretty stupid to me.

Mathius
Old 06-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #26
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper
You don't need to watch a ton of college hoop to see what's what.
Beasley I watched play maybe 3-4 times .
Immediately with his athletic bod , strength , height , floor presence -
Before final 4 even played I had picked Beasley as a shoe in NBA guy generating 17/10 and later even higher ... but his foul trouble will be something any coaching staff will need to school him about 'NBA'

if a dumb sheat like me can spot talent 3/4 through the season in college hoop ball ;, Ford writes a feeder paper to the public about a Professional GM of a professional ball club ... saying Beasley is the guy . (that's not a hard nose article folks)

Get my drift.
All drafts usually have 5-9 very solid NBA type players. (with careers)
This draft is the same - top 5 or so will have long careers' then you have role players and depending on longevity .. maybe careers
Careers =10 years

Beasley isn't super athletic and he isn't that tall.

Maybe you should have watched a few more games.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #27
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Jasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Beasley isn't super athletic and he isn't that tall.

Maybe you should have watched a few more games.

I want hold you to it , because I know at your age - I probably saw twice as many games as you have. And my guess I am at least twice as old as you.
Now you can watch him as an NBA PLAYER and have a career.
10 years from now you can look back and tell me about it ...
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: