Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-26-2008, 11:17 AM   #31
steve

steve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Joe Alexander, is there a black player comparable in the draft?

I think one of the problems with trying to compare him to another basketball player is that his game has completely developed yet. Usually by a player's junior year in college, we'd have a pretty good understanding of kind of basketball he's going to be but since he jumped into the game so late (from an organzied basketball perspective) that it's hard to judge him because he's still fine tuning what kind of player he is. He's kind of a clean slate and I think a lot of his potential hinges on which team he goes to.

Quote:
David Lee Matt Harpring Tom Gugs... dont see it...
Three more different players couldn't be named and I don't think any of them have that much in common with Joe Alexander.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:31 AM   #32
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

His pre-draft hype reminds me of Joey Graham. He has all the measurables you want in a prospect, but will he be able to translate it to the court? I hope so but I don't have much faith in him.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #33
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamRockStar
Lane Agility

2nd to only Sonny Weems in draft class who had a 10.66

Bench Press

24 reps

2nd overall

Max Vert

36.5 inches

very good for a player his size

Lane Agility

good, beat most non guards, and a lot of guards, like Derrick Rose had a 11.66

*yawn*
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #34
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

Valliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
His pre-draft hype reminds me of Joey Graham. He has all the measurables you want in a prospect, but will he be able to translate it to the court? I hope so but I don't have much faith in him.

The big difference is work ethic, and fact that Alexander is not mentally retarded. I've seen the Majority of games Joey Graham has played...his BB IQ is something to behold. I swear I've seen him forget where he is and wander into the upper deck mid play.
Valliant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:36 PM   #35
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

Valliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
*yawn*

Insightfully commentary. I can understand taking workout stats in a measured fashion, but at least attempt to frame your contempt in a productive fashion.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #36
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by allball
since YOU made it about race, there has only been two white Finals MVPs in the last 30 years. this guy has Keith Van Horn written all over him.

In the NCAA tournamentAlexander was:

4-12 against Arizona
7-22 against Duke
8-18 against Xavier

not exactly a can't miss prospect.

he shot .462 from the field this past year
he shot .425 the year before

he only averaged 6.4 rebounds.

so I think you answered your own question

If we went by highlights Raef Lafrentz would be an HOFer

If you watched college ball you would no his star rose at the end of the regular season and during the Big East tournament. Posting season long stats is useless when scouts where looking at what he did only towards the end of the season as a marker.

If you watched college ball you'd know he peaked towards the end of the season because he went from playing for a coach who wanted him always around the perimeter to a coach (Huggins) who actually developed him into a useful player.

I'm sure you watched the tournament games though. Even though he might have shot poorly, he definitely had a big impact on those games. Isn't that an attribute GM's love? When you don't shoot well, you still find ways to score and do other things?

Yes? No? Maybe so?

Advice: Actually watch college ball because watching a few highlights and reading up on a guy a bit will result in you saying silly stuff.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #37
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

Shawn Marion.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:42 PM   #38
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
Shawn Marion.

A little bigger, and a little slower...but solid comparison. And without the insecurity and drama.

Though that is defintely the outside limits of his upside...that he very well may never reach.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #39
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valliant13
A little bigger, and a little slower...but solid comparison. And without the insecurity and drama.

Though that is defintely the outside limits of his upside...that he very well may never reach.
He might just be faster,but Joe plays at such a high level that he'll get worn out during the course of next season.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:17 PM   #40
WVUPharm2007
Can barely lace up my sneakers

WVUPharm2007 has an OK reputation so far

The thing with Joe is that he has the potential, it's just that he doesn't have the practical experience to have prefected any skills. His growth since Huggins became his coach has been exponential and very impressive. Once he gets his handle down pat, he'll be dangerous.

WVUPharm2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:37 AM   #41
Revelation
The Fouler

Revelation has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamRockStar
Lane Agility

2nd to only Sonny Weems in draft class who had a 10.66

Bench Press

24 reps

2nd overall

Max Vert

36.5 inches

very good for a player his size

Lane Agility

good, beat most non guards, and a lot of guards, like Derrick Rose had a 11.66
He had a 38.5 Inch Max vertical according to Draftexpress. And I wouldn't doubt if it is actually higher than that...
Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:58 AM   #42
Make It Rain
Banned

Make It Rain has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Did you read what I said. He has done everything to warrant being selected in the lottery. Morrison didn't. If you can't see the difference between Morrison and Alexander than you're blind.

It has nothing to do with being proven right. I could pick names out of a hat and call them busts and be right on some of them.

The fact remains and always will remain he is more than worthy of being selected in the lottery based on what he has done and his makeup.

You can't argue this.
Morrison torched every team in the NCAA. So did Redick.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:08 AM   #43
kumquat
College superstar

kumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat cool

Morrison and Reddick are slow scrawny dudes though.
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:14 AM   #44
Make It Rain
Banned

Make It Rain has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat
Morrison and Reddick are slow scrawny dudes though.
And Alexander isn't even close to the shooters those guys are. And it's not like Alexander is this amazing athlete. Lots of NBA players can do what he can do and better. The reason there's so much hype is because he's white. Sure, he can jump when he really sets and puts all his power into it. But he doesn't have that quick athletic jump, which is more important. He's not explosive. He takes long to set his legs and spring himself up. He doesn't have that natural jumping ability. Looks trained more than anything. The shots he was getting off , he won't be able to get in the NBA. #1 He's not very quick. You'd expect someone this "athletic" to have some quickness. I mean LeBron, Wade, Josh Smith, etc. are all pretty quick. But he's slow man. Especially laterally. He's not gonna blow by anyone or stay in front of anyone if he plays SF. #2 A 6'8 guy can easily shoot over people in college. But in the NBA, he's gonna be guarded with players taller, longer, stronger, and faster. The only way he can be an effective player is if he develops a great basketball IQ. He has to be improve his ballhandling (I don't think he can by much since this is something you pick up at a young age), passing, outside shooting, etc. I still think he's gonna be a bust.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:02 AM   #45
zebraheat
I hit open layups

zebraheat has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
He might turn out ok...But he isnt a guy I want on my squad. Seemed a little mentally fragile. When things are going bad he disappears, he also wonders in and out of games and seems to get rattled easily.

for a further explanation, watch game 6 of the 2008 NBA Finals.
zebraheat is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: