Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 06-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool
Default Of The Big Five...

...Who do you think PORTLAND will shop first? I'm talking about Brandon Roy, Greg Oden, LaMarcus Aldridge, Travis Outlaw and Rudy Fernandez. I know Outlaw has been rumored in trade talks but not because PORTLAND put him in those trade talks but because other teams have. So who of the five will be the first to be placed on the trade block in Portland in their career?

I'll say LaMarcus Aldridge. If he doesn't go back to the post and start rebounding then I could see Nate and KP getting frustrated with him because they drafted him for those two reasons and I have no doubt in my mind that Portland can go out and get a power forward that can do those things. Also I believe that Pritchard is trying to build the 2003 San Antonio Spurs with Oden in David Robinson's role and looking for a Tim Duncan. Two seven footers with great post, man and help defense who can both step out and hit a midrange jumper as well as put it down in the blocks and I'm starting to think that LaMarcus doesn't have the mental and physical toughness to stay in the post for 30+ minutes a game for 82+ games a year. I have nothing wrong with shooting the midrange jumper in games but I saw plenty of times last season where he got the ball about 15 feet out with an open lane to the basket and instead of being aggresive and picking up a foul on somebody, or a dunk, he would settle for the jumper.
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Of The Big Five...

Outlaw would be the first of those guys. I think once Greg comes in, it won't be as important for Aldridge to play down low. The worse part of him shooting jump shots was we needed him for rebounds. Now, we'll have Greg roaming down low while Aldridge shoots those mid rangers.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
iamflang
Can barely lace up my sneakers

iamflang has an OK reputation so far

i say rudy. he's a great talent, for sure, but we already have broy. and i really love broy. i'd rather use him to try and find a solid pg.

LMA could be traded, depending on the impact that oden has on the low post--if he needs more defensive help, then KP might think of trading LMA, but i highly doubt it.
iamflang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

LMA and Rudy will likely be given a few years to evaluate. Outlaw is the only guy that could be gone as soon as this year.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool

The thing about what you're saying is that you're putting about 48 rebounds a game on Greg Oden. You can't just have one good rebounder and think it'll be ok. Greg Oden isn't going to pull down much more rebounds than Joel Przybilla did last season. The only reason he does is because he'll play more minutes but they'll probably average about the same amount of rebounds per 48 so basically saying it's ok because Greg is there and LMA can continue to get 4-6 rebounds a game is rediculous. I except 17-10 from LaMarcus and it's his fault that I have these expectations. Oden is the post so it's ok for LMA to step out? I think not. Oden is only beginning developement on his post game...basically what you're doing is adding more and more pressure on the shoulders of Oden. Now not only does he have to show up and have a monster rookie season so critics don't call him a bust and not only does he have to get Portland to the playoffs but now he has to take all the rebounding pressure and post offensive pressure? Thats too much for any rookie to handle. Also another thing with Aldridge becoming soft is it could eventually flood the locker room with that mind state as well much like what happened with Rasheed Wallace in the old days. If LMA regains the aggresiveness that he had in his rookie year and average what he's capable of averaging (17-20 PPG; 9-11 RPG) then I'll be happy. Drive those wide open lanes instead of taking the easy open 15 footer.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
Myth

I'm not saying Aldridge should only stay out. And I don't know where this 4-6 rebounds per game thing came from. LA was just under 8 rebounds per game, and I think if he makes it a solid 8, then it should be fine considering Oden will likely average 10-14 depending on the season. Then you add about 6-7 rpg from Przybilla (assuming a slight dip in minutes) and we are fine.

For this next year, Oden and Aldridge will combine for nearly 20 rebounds per game even if Aldridge doesn't become better at rebounding. So yeah, not seeing the big deal about Aldridge's "lack" of rebounding.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

8 RPG is misleading. He was inconsistant at grabbing boards last season. I remember he'd have good rebound games followed by games where he'd grab 3 or 4 maybe 5 rebounds and have played 30+ minutes. And it's not just the rebounding. Basically I'm saying, I'm seeing more and more of Rasheed Wallace in him than Chris Bosh.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
iamflang
Can barely lace up my sneakers

iamflang has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersDozen
8 RPG is misleading. He was inconsistant at grabbing boards last season. I remember he'd have good rebound games followed by games where he'd grab 3 or 4 maybe 5 rebounds and have played 30+ minutes. And it's not just the rebounding. Basically I'm saying, I'm seeing more and more of Rasheed Wallace in him than Chris Bosh.

it seems to me being inconsistent at rebounding was more a product of his inexperience than not having any rebounding ability. with the rebounding focus on GO, it seems like LMA can contribute without having to contribute. let LMA prove himself-nate'll make him a good rebounder.
iamflang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:48 PM   #9
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersDozen

I would LOVE if he became a Rasheed type player. With Rasheed the Blazers were damn near champs. Oden should be better than Sabonis was and we won't have to deal with Shaq like 2000. Plus as Iamflang said, he's young. Aldridge is only 22. I don't see us giving up on him just because he isn't a bruiser type low post player.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: