Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Cleveland Cavaliers Forum

Cleveland Cavaliers Forum Cleveland cavaliers message board - cleveland cavaliers fan forum

Old 06-26-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Default 2008 NBA draft--discuss/rate the Cavs draft

Use this thread to discuss the draft from a Cavaliers perspective, what you think of the picks the Cavs made, and your degree of satisfaction/unsatisfaction.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: 2008 NBA draft--discuss/rate the Cavs draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
Use this thread to discuss the draft from a Cavaliers perspective, what you think of the picks the Cavs made, and your degree of satisfaction/unsatisfaction.

You sound like Jeff.

Mathius

Last edited by mlh1981 : 06-26-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
You sound like Jeff.

Mathius

Hey man, this Cavs forum modding is serious stuff. Gotta sound professional. It's what keeps those paychecks rolling in.

But yeah, I agree with your points about the Cavs needing to draft someone who can help right away. I'm not interested in gromming players for the future. The "future" is now. We are on the cusp, and it's a delicate situation.

Big men drafted late in the first round are a big gamble. The track record of success is low. If the Cavs were in a rebuilding situation, I would say go for it, but not when you have a LeBron James in town.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
LBJ 4 MVP
Sit yo ass down!

My bold prediction: This year's draft will be better than last year's for the Cavs.
LBJ 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

J.J. Hickson.....

who?

He seems like a bit of a project/tweener. Also, they say his work ethic needs improvement. Seems like this guy could take some time to develop into a solid NBA player.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:28 PM   #6
BigTicket
Cavs for life

So J.J. Hickson it is, gotta say I don't really know who the hell he is, and definetely not who I wanted, though I am happy we got a bigman.

Anyway I'd rate the pick a D as of now, given how much better talent was available at the time. Hope he surprises me with some good tough bruising minutes of the bench at the least.
BigTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:34 PM   #7
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTicket
So J.J. Hickson it is, gotta say I don't really know who the hell he is, and definetely not who I wanted, though I am happy we got a bigman.

Anyway I'd rate the pick a D as of now, given how much better talent was available at the time. Hope he surprises me with some good tough bruising minutes of the bench at the least.

He seems like a project, though. I don't think Mike Brown is the right guy to motivate a player who doesn't play hard.

Anything he gives the Cavs offensively will be better than what Ben Wallace/Andy gives, so that's a plus.

Maybe this pays off in a few years, but I kinda wanted them to draft a "ready made" player. I'm not interested in upside. I'm interested in 2008-09.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:37 PM   #8
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
Maybe this pays off in a few years, but I kinda wanted them to draft a "ready made" player. I'm not interested in upside. I'm interested in 2008-09.

I don't understand what part of this these idiots don't get. Lebron WILL leave if we don't start being more competitive. The future is NOW. We shouldn't be interested in developing players because that means rebuilding. Lebron hates rebuilding, doesn't believe in it... that's why he's a Yankees fan.

Someone tell me if I should be pissed off or not. Who is this guy? He has ok height, but his size is only 235. I suppose Lebron of all people could teach him how to bulk up... I keep wondering if Lebron was at all involved in this pick. He seems like a pretty obscure guy.

I keep wondering if I should go to bed, or if they have something else up their sleeve. No 2nd round pick right now, so no chance of stealing CDR in the 2nd round.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:34 PM   #9
abuC
Cuba

What's the point of drafting a project when Mike Brown has proven to be horrible at developing players? The guy could be an absolute monster, it doesnt change the fact Brown wont play him more than 5mpg next year.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:19 AM   #10
Quickness
High School Starter

J.J. Hickson, Extremely underrated in college he deserved some hype, Im a State fan and he was the best player Ive seen come through State in my lifetime, which is relatively short. Hes a ****ing horse and his work ethic was poor this year because he played for NCSU on a bad year. He had 24 rebounds against the best rebounding team in the ACC. Always finishes strong at the basket. A Absolutely filthy spin move, He runs the floor very well for a big man. He needs to work on his foot work, toward the end of the year he started devoloping a nice fadeaway jumper. I really dont think he'll be a bust. Sidney Lowe loved him and Im pretty sure you will too.

http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.ph...te=c avaliers

interview they had with him after he was drafted
Quickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:29 AM   #11
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickness
J.J. Hickson, Extremely underrated in college he deserved some hype, Im a State fan and he was the best player Ive seen come through State in my lifetime, which is relatively short. Hes a ****ing horse and his work ethic was poor this year because he played for NCSU on a bad year. He had 24 rebounds against the best rebounding team in the ACC. Always finishes strong at the basket. A Absolutely filthy spin move, He runs the floor very well for a big man. He needs to work on his foot work, toward the end of the year he started devoloping a nice fadeaway jumper. I really dont think he'll be a bust. Sidney Lowe loved him and Im pretty sure you will too.

http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.ph...te=c avaliers

interview they had with him after he was drafted

I am hoping that he would turn out to be the next Carlos Boozer for the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:37 AM   #12
Quickness
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
I am hoping that he would turn out to be the next Carlos Boozer for the Cleveland Cavaliers.

hard to compare, cant really compare them but I hope he is as good.

Last edited by Quickness : 06-27-2008 at 02:44 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:50 AM   #13
Quickness
High School Starter

heres one video of him not quite the best highlights of him. but theyre decent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGYl8yBmBKs
Old 06-27-2008, 10:32 AM   #14
BigTicket
Cavs for life

Well it would certainly appear the management had the same concerns as me, I was just looking for one bigman and we ended up with 3 instead

JJ Hickson at #19

Darnell Jackson at #52 (trade with Miami for a future 2nd round pick)

Sasha Kaun at #56 (trade with Seattle for cash)

Will be interesting to see how they perform in the summer league, one thing does seem certain though, I won't have to watch Dwayne Jones play his sorry excuse for basketball anymore
BigTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #15
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTicket
Well it would certainly appear the management had the same concerns as me, I was just looking for one bigman and we ended up with 3 instead

JJ Hickson at #19

Darnell Jackson at #52 (trade with Miami for a future 2nd round pick)

Sasha Kaun at #56 (trade with Seattle for cash)

Will be interesting to see how they perform in the summer league, one thing does seem certain though, I won't have to watch Dwayne Jones play his sorry excuse for basketball anymore
JJ Hickson wasnt what i expected from listening to what the ESPN guys had to say and watching some highlights i feel better. Hopefully he'll be another carlos boozer. dont really know who Jackson is so no comment. and i believe sasha kaun is a great pick-up he's standing tall and talented so he cant suck.
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: