Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #16
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: ESPN Around the Horn Bosh will LEAVE after 2010 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz
if youre chris bosh and things stay the same, and youre a free agent and will get the max contract anywhere he goes, why the hell WOULD he stay here.
its common sense, finally BC has given bosh something to work with.

Because the Max he can get with the Raps is bigger then the Max he can get from another team. Money talks.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:22 AM   #17
bjtrdff
Darrick Martin's Coach

bjtrdff has decent reputationbjtrdff has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Because the Max he can get with the Raps is bigger then the Max he can get from another team. Money talks.

Around the horn, and a lot of US media in general, aren't exactly known for having their pulse on the Raptors.

He's not leaving. Stuff like this is always said, and very very rarely happens. The Raps can offer more than anyone, and Bosh gets to be the unquestioned man, which he has said many times is a unique opportunity that he loves.

Besides that, the Raps will have tons of cap room, and be able to make some free agent plays themselves. Bosh would get to stay, make more money, be the man, and have people come to him.
bjtrdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:43 AM   #18
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

I would more worried if I was Cleaveland. The NBA salary, as huge as it is can be small compared to the huge market potential of say New York. Lebron is likely, they say, to be the first billionaire NBA player. And that's not due to his NBA salary. Endorsments baby. And if Lebron stays level headed he may make that premonition come true.

Lebron can forgo an extra $20 mil NBA salary and still come out a lot further ahead.

I don't know that Bosh has that star attraction. But then again, who say's Bosh, with his second contract and $50 mil in the bank won't say I don't need more money, just want to be where I want to be. But Bosh really does seem to like TO, and money is, well money.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #19
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

The whole endorsement thing I get, but in reality, guys just haven't given up larger deals to go to a team that will net him more endorsements. If that was the case, stars would play for the MLE to play for the Knicks. It's a factor, and I think Lebron's relationship with JayZ would be the major factor in his case, which is unique.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #20
Molson
Great young streetballer

Molson has an OK reputation so far

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the Raps will be financially ready to sign two stars in 2010.

W/Bosh and Oneal both off the books, won't they have 40M available to spend?
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:17 PM   #21
bjtrdff
Darrick Martin's Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the Raps will be financially ready to sign two stars in 2010.

W/Bosh and Oneal both off the books, won't they have 40M available to spend?

Bosh will get an extension. But they will have a ****load of cash to spend. Only Bosh, Jose, Kapono and Bargs will be on the books then.

And I just listened to the ATH broadcast...it was just a random comment by Israel...nothing more. He literally prefaced it by saying Toronto never holds onto their free agents....when in fact, they've always held onto their free agents, with the exception of TMac: Vince, Mo Pete, Bosh, Davis, Williams, JYD, etc;.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:46 PM   #22
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

Their are many NBA teams that are a mess, and few turn themselves around quickly. The Blazers are the model for this decade so far. It will be interesting to see what Walsh does with the Knicks, but Dolan is still around so I'm not optomistic. MJ is well on his way to replacing Isiah as the next mess maker. Atlanta, even with talent can't manage any kind of interest from the fans. Sacramento, Seatle, New orleans as soon as they lose a few games, I mean the list of bad and near bad franchises is long. These type of franchises are the ones players want to stay away from.

Toronto, with a respected front office, a great city, a major market by US standards, a strong Canadian dollar, and in a franchise that has had every team / player come up here and are now used to crossing the border (and some players have learned not to bring weed over in foil) and Toronto has to be considered one of the teams, cities, markets to come to.

We don't compete with LA, Chicago (even with their disappointing season), New York which I don't under stand, Dallas, and several warm climate cities we are certainly in the upper mid pack.

Detroit, Milwakee, Minnesota, Boston, New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Denver, Utah, ect all have the capactity to generate cold weather, so I don't think that the cold is nearly the factor some people make it out ot be.

These are but a few factors that players use to determine where they want to go. Out of the opportunities Bosh has (and don't forget he won't be alone in the F/A market) Toronto is on the desired list.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #23
AItheAnswer3
Decent college freshman

AItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation here

AH this sucks...but I believe that if the Bosh/O'Neal combination works out and if they have some success then he wont leave
AItheAnswer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:40 PM   #24
bjtrdff
Darrick Martin's Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AItheAnswer3
AH this sucks...but I believe that if the Bosh/O'Neal combination works out and if they have some success then he wont leave

Once again, the thread title is ridiculous. ONE REPORTER on ATH commented on it, and prefaced it with incorrect information anyway. Whether O'Neal works or not, Bosh isn't going to turn down the massive extension the Raps can give him, and his status of being the man on his own team.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #25
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Calderon getting the ball to our bigs
O'Neal and Bosh spreading the floor for Kapono for the 3
Kapono bringing the defense out to get O'Neal and Bosh the ball
O'Neal opening up for Bosh
Bosh opening up for O'Neal
Parker being our driver at the 2 spot (unless a trade occurs)

I like it...
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #26
Jalen5
Great young streetballer

Jalen5 has an OK reputation so far

I think if he leaves I won't lose sleep over it since we have had bigger stars at the time left raptors n did really nothing. (cough tmac cough vc)
Jalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:49 PM   #27
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen5
I think if he leaves I won't lose sleep over it since we have had bigger stars at the time left raptors n did really nothing. (cough tmac cough vc)

Huh? Losing Carter for what turned out to be nothing set the team back for 2 years.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:05 PM   #28
Trax416
Great young streetballer

Trax416 has an OK reputation so far

Guys like Lebron and Wade will look at it like this.

You can go to a team like NewYork get and get paid a few million more then other teams, but not win a ring, and most likley, not make the finals.

Or you can go to a place like Toronto, play with two other all-stars, win a ring, but make a couple million less.

If I was a pro, I would go where I could win the ring. Especially for guys like Wade and Lebron, who make so much money from sponsorship.

Then again, Lebron has shown over the past few years, that his image is more important to him then winning a ring. So he will probably go to New York, and have gigantic endorsements, then go to Toronto and win a championship.

You also have to look at it like this. Toronto is growing into one of the biggest basketball markets in the world. Once we have landed a couple championships, Toronto will be a top four markets.

Vince Carter when he was here, healthy, and playing, was one of the most popular sports players in North America. Everyone knew him, he had tons of sponsorship deals, and people were rocking Raptor jerseys in cities like NY and NO for fashion. He leaves, and the only people that still care about him are Nets fans, and hardcore basketball fans.
Trax416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:21 PM   #29
YaoMing4MVP
I hit open 5-footers

YaoMing4MVP has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax416
1. Bosh may leave, nobody knows yet. He is good enough to be on a contender, but we have a chance this season to make it pretty far.

2. ESPN knows nothing. If you notice, ESPN rarely if ever breaks a news story. They just take stories from newspapers and other sites and claim them as there own.

3. Any time Toronto gets a good American player, ESPN says they are going to leave. If you watch ESPN (not ESPN Via TSN) you would notice they barely if ever cover any Toronto teams, or any Toronto players when they do well. When Bosh went for 30+ with 15 rebounds against Orlando, they literally said "Nobody on Toronto played well, Dwight Howard dominated them like rookies that game". If a Canadian team beats an American team, it's almost never on ESPN. They refuse to talk about it.

They never cover the Raptors unless they are talking bad about them or there players, and they never even mention the leafs of Jays.

Well said. ESPN commentators are a bunch of jerks to Canadians. I remember when Joe Carter played for the SF Giants, it was a game against the cubs. The commentators kept on talking about his 1993 heroic homerun. Amazingly enough, they didn't mention the Toronto Blue Jays once in that conversation. Unless we get ESPN Canada, we'll never be honoured in that station. Having said that, I am find with sportsnet and TSN, who gives a crap about ESPN.

Besides, why in the world are they predicting what's going to happen in 2010? CB4 doesn't even know what's going to happen tomorrow himself. There's no basis and credibility. Toronto is a great city to be in and CB4 is getting enough recognition. ESPN can................
YaoMing4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:22 AM   #30
Jalen5
Great young streetballer

Jalen5 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by new noise
Huh? Losing Carter for what turned out to be nothing set the team back for 2 years.

Huh? nets getting carter was good for what 1 year?
Jalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: