Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-27-2008, 08:31 PM   #16
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Nathan Jawai... comments?

He'll probaly be like Big Baby Glen Davis
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:44 PM   #17
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
i dunno why we got this guy when we could have gotten Bill Walker. Bill Walker could have contributed to the team right away and now we're stuck with some international prospect that we have to wait to years to see if he becomes a bust or not. I think you take risks in the second round the perfect risk would have been on Bill Walker. I was disappointed when we didn't get.

People were really only high on Bill Walker because he's been a relatively big name for the past couple years. He'll get some highlight dunks once in a while in the NBA, but probably not much more.

Sure, you take a risk in the second round. But he was obviously garbage in workouts (whether it was due to having knees made of paper mache or not doesn't make a difference), and thus the Raptors didn't take a stupid risk with the only pick they've had in two years.

Despite losing the 17th which could've produced a halfway decent player, they strengthened their most horribly weak position for the short and long term with Jermaine O'Neal and the Australian kid, and I for one am happy.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:50 PM   #18
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

O'Neal is the closest thing to having a real center that Toronto has ever had. I think Davis was the other closest. I say closest because originally they weren't Centers but can ultimately play the center position.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:59 PM   #19
new noise
madvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
O'Neal is the closest thing to having a real center that Toronto has ever had. I think Davis was the other closest. I say closest because originally they weren't Centers but can ultimately play the center position.

Agreed - he's not even on the team yet and he's the best to ever play at C for the Raptors. I'm not sure we've ever seen the effect that a Center who can rebound, block shots and also be an offensive threat inside can have on this team.

Hell, look how in love a lot of us were with Rasho freaking Nesterovic. Jermaine O'Neal, completely healthy and playing up to the level Jermaine O'Neal can? The best-case scenario is pretty mind boggling.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #20
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by new noise
Agreed - he's not even on the team yet and he's the best to ever play at C for the Raptors. I'm not sure we've ever seen the effect that a Center who can rebound, block shots and also be an offensive threat inside can have on this team.

Hell, look how in love a lot of us were with Rasho freaking Nesterovic. Jermaine O'Neal, completely healthy and playing up to the level Jermaine O'Neal can? The best-case scenario is pretty mind boggling.

He said that last year the reason why he sat out most of the games was a career move. We all know he knew he was being traded...but who woulda knew it was the Raptors he was being traded to. We have never had 2 players that could possibly make the all-star game realisticly (other than Calderon last season, but we kind of homered on that one).
Old 06-27-2008, 10:06 PM   #21
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster

according to an australian newspaper, jawai plans on cracking the raptor's roster this season and it seems that toronto will have a space for him.

the paper also talked about Detroit ready to take him at #29 but then a couple players fell and they ended up taking whoever they took.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:15 PM   #22
new noise
madvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTech
according to an australian newspaper, jawai plans on cracking the raptor's roster this season and it seems that toronto will have a space for him.

Not that I'd argue with having another 6'10 body just in case, but didn't I read something about the kid only having played any kind of organized ball for a couple years? I don't know much about the level of competition in Australia, but I have to think he could use a year or two to keep learning the game and prove his worth. Although I guess at the very worst he'd be in the d-league all year to get things down.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:26 PM   #23
bigdog13
High School JV MVP

bigdog13 has not been impressing people

Concur, Nathan will never play in the NBA nor do we have the room for him. We need to tighten up our bench not lengthen it. That has been one of our biggest faults.
bigdog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #24
T-Low
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog13
Concur, Nathan will never play in the NBA nor do we have the room for him. We need to tighten up our bench not lengthen it. That has been one of our biggest faults.

Just read an article stating that they are gonna try to bring Nathan over sometime this season cause they need the big body...
Old 06-28-2008, 10:05 AM   #25
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog13

I don't think the possibility of bringing him over would lengthen our bench. He would probably take the role of Brezec/Baston and not play that much.

But I agree with new noise, he should be stashed overseas for a while.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #26
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob
I don't think the possibility of bringing him over would lengthen our bench. He would probably take the role of Brezec/Baston and not play that much.

But I agree with new noise, he should be stashed overseas for a while.

The Raps need bodies to fill the bench, and he will come cheap. At 280 pounds, or their about's I would think the Raptors are concerned that he could balloon to over three hundred and be useless. I think we put him on the bench see what this kid's comitment is to this game. And that is another factor about this kid.

So, we need some bodies for the bench and we want to see if this kid if worth developing. One year on the bench and with this team as 11 or 12 player will tell us that.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #27
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

But they have to pay him if he comes over. If they leave him where he is they don't.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:34 AM   #28
b4ball
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
But they have to pay him if he comes over. If they leave him where he is they don't.

I know, but we still need to fill the bench, we traded three for one, with Delphino not likely coming back we have room. And like I said he will come cheap.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #29
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ball
I know, but we still need to fill the bench, we traded three for one, with Delphino not likely coming back we have room. And like I said he will come cheap.

So will some vet bigs that we know can already play in the league.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #30
b4ball
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
So will some vet bigs that we know can already play in the league.

Do you not read anything other then what you write. The Raptors have already said he's coming over. For the very reason I stated.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: