Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-27-2008, 06:47 AM   #1
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

Default MJ gambled and lost

Watching the draft last night I feel like a lot of teams made some crazy decsisions, but as a Charlotte fan I feel like we had the worst. MJ and Larry Brown and anyone else who is in charge of drafting or us screwed us. Our biggest need coming in to the draft was a center, and at pick #9 the best player avaialable was a center, so how do we walk out of draft with a point guard? This pick will cause more questions than answers, now Felton we have a PG controversy in waiting with Felton, and it means we wasted a #5 pick on a PG 3 years ago and never gave him a chance to start at PG, instead playing him at the 2 beside Brevin Knight for 2 years and beside Jeff McInnis for the majority of last year under Sam Vincent. I'm not saying the kid is perfect but he has game. With Augustin here its more of the same for Felton. And now we're unprotected with no proven bigs signed, which just upped the cost of re-signing Emeka Okafor this summer because he knows we need him. And we did this to draft Roy Hibbert and #20?

I knew we had tipped our hand to hard and had a feeling he wouldn't last, and when Hibbert got picked at #17 I couldn't even watch the draft any more. Then with McGee going at #18 I knew it, we were f***ed. When it was our turn to pick at #20 every proven center prospect was gone. We ended up with a guy named Alexis who averaged 5 points a game in France last year. Thanks a lot MJ.

Think about this for a second, we have never made the playoffs, but are set with above average players at 3 out of 5 positions, and with a kid in Felton who is regarded as a solid prospect at the point guard position. Going in to the draft almost anyone you talk with agrees our biggest problem was in the frontcourt. We were asking too much from Okafor to have him play the 5. And coming out of this draft we now still need a center. This is good GMing? Hopefully my mind will change on this in time but for now I'm having a hard time liking my favorite player of all time.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

Default Re: MJ gambled and lost

Maybe there's a trade to happen
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:16 AM   #3
DoubleTech
College star

for once, i gotta agree with you, KD.

Brook Lopez would have solved A LOT of Charlotte's problems... before the draft, i heard that MJ was high on Westbrook and LB was high on Augustine... but i figured that would all change if Lopez was available at their pick. just makes you feel really bad for the loyal Bobcat fans.

Jordan's legacy as an executive lives on...
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko Milicic
Larry Brown doesn't play rookies anyway.
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chains5000

knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:43 AM   #6
eliteballer
Very good NBA starter

Whats wrong with Okafor. He's a double double machine and one of the best shot-blockers in the league.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:58 AM   #7
kidachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko Milicic
Larry Brown doesn't play rookies anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Brown
Shut up, you stink anyway.

hmmmm
Old 06-27-2008, 08:04 AM   #8
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteballer
Whats wrong with Okafor. He's a double double machine and one of the best shot-blockers in the league.
Nothings wrong with Okafor. He is one of the best young bigs in the league, but he can only play 1 position though. Most would agree he performs best at the 4, and we could have gotten an ideal partner for him in Lopez but we passed.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:35 AM   #9
Valliant13
College star

It was a rough draft for bobcats. They had a nice foundation to, if they had drafted for need they could have made some real strides. Still...when you have the chance to take a 5'10 130lb PG in the top ten you have to take it...they don't come along every day.

Last edited by Valliant13 : 06-27-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Valliant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:47 AM   #10
mrhoopfan
Local High School Star

It sounds like they are counting on May to be healthy so that they can play nhim at the 4 and Okafor at the 5......should've drafted Lopez and later on, Sean Singletary.
mrhoopfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:01 AM   #11
ukballer
NBA lottery pick

As a Bobcats fan I was extremely disappointed with the draft.

Even Augustin himself looked shocked and frankly quite pissed off that he got picked at 9.

I was absolutely praying that they would pick Brook Lopez, but to no avail. I honestly don't know a great deal about Augustin, but I do know it was not a position that really needed addressing, unless Larry Brown believes in the Sam Vincent philosophy of playing Raymond Felton at SG

Though I was disappointed with that initial pick, I still had high hopes of us getting Hibbert at 20, but cringed with the Raptors picked him.

My final hope was DeAndre Jordan or Koufos. I've heard mixed things about Jordan, but I still would have been satisfied if we had gotten him. Instead we get Ajinca who I know nothing about other than he's got a very big wingspan and he's a Frenchy.

I couldn't believe it when DeAndre slipped to the 2nd round and was hoping he might slip down to our 2nd round pick (but by this time I didn't have a clue what MJ would do), but unfortunately didn't. I don't know anything about Weaver who we did pick so can't comment on that.

All I can really say is I hope there are some trades in the pipeline, as I really can't bear to see Felton being moved to SG if thats the plan.

Last edited by ukballer : 06-27-2008 at 09:20 AM.
ukballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:24 AM   #12
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

As an outsider looking in, the Augustin pick makes NO sense. The pure center you've been needing fell into your lap, and you pass for a guy who plays a position you're set at? My only guess is they thought someone would make an offer for DJ that exceeded what Lopez would have brought.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:32 AM   #13
mrhoopfan
Local High School Star

Lopez at 9 Chalmers at 20 would've been SWEET.......Kyle Weaver may surprise people as a back up pg though, i think they must be trying to move Felton.........maybe Felton to Sac town for Brad Miller??? I mean the kings drafted Jason Thompson this year and Hawes( I love his game) last year so we'll see!
mrhoopfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #14
Interminator
Banned

I'm still shocked as to why they chose DJ Augustin when this was the year they were finally going to let Raymond Felton run the show at PG.

So now they create an issue with Felton/Augustin sharing minutes at PG like Watson/Ridnour in Seattle or Ford/Calderon in Toronto and that system never works and I highly doubt Larry Brown is a believer in that 2 PG system.

So now Felton will be used as a back-up SG to Jason Richardson costing Matt Caroll playing time although he's a good 3 point shooter.

Charlotte must have a trade brewing hopefully.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:40 AM   #15
ukballer
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhoopfan
Lopez at 9 Chalmers at 20 would've been SWEET.......Kyle Weaver may surprise people as a back up pg though, i think they must be trying to move Felton.........maybe Felton to Sac town for Brad Miller??? I mean the kings drafted Jason Thompson this year and Hawes( I love his game) last year so we'll see!

Perhaps a similar move to that yes, but if this team is being built for the future, I can't see what benefit at all bringing in Brad would be. No disrespect to him now but he's not the kind of player who will come in and make us a competitive playoff team. Felton SHOULD be a hot commodity around the league and is worth far more than Brad Miller. I'd prefer it if the Bobcats showed more faith in him though. I mean what can the guy do when he's got a tool like Sam Vincent playing him at the 2 guard spot when quite clearly he should have been giving as many available minutes at point as possible?
ukballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: