Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #31
QC ThunderCats
Saw a basketball once

Default Re: MJ gambled and lost

Ok, longtime lurker here, but HUGE (bob)cats fan... (from Charlotte, but still hate that name)

It seems that everyone is hating on the picks, both outsiders and insiders, but I actually think these picks were not only justifiable, but may be underrated and can actually turn out pretty good. Hear me out.

DJ Augustin pick -
Now those that have followed the cats know that we've had idiot coaches who didn't use Felton to the best of his abilities, or who played Jeff McMinus 30+ minutes a game But out of everything, there was a lot of moaning about our pg situation, that we had no depth. I think we have finally shored up this spot, as we finally have 2 skilled, high potential pg's on the team. DJ will not start - Larry Brown said in predraft workouts that only the 1st or 2nd pick looked good enough to start, everyone else in the draft will start on the bench. He even defended Felton pretty strongly in one interview, and I don't recall Brown ever being that complimentary before.

Also, why trade Felton - then we only have one pg again, and we'd be in the exact same situation again, needing a backup pg. I think Felton will start and shine this year at 30-35 minutes a game, with DJ coming in and allowing us to not have a dropoff at the position. So see, finally our pg situation looks good and looks the best it ever has, with two good young guys.

(however, if they end up trading Felton, then everything I said is moot, and the boobcats are idiots)

Alexis Ajinca
Well how do I defend this you ask? First, lets say I am waaaay happier with him than Brook Lopez. With Brook...lessons from the past - how many stiff centers become good in the NBA? Todd Fuller was a 7 footer who could shoot and averaged around 20-10 in a tough ACC. Doleac was a 7 footer who could shoot and was a star for a very good Utah team in college. Brook is a stiff 7 footer who can shoot. Plus, could you ever see Brook do this?:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2k...ampionsh_sport

Yes, the cats needed an inside presence with Okafor. But in the current NBA, you cant have two inside guys that can't move. Okafor is an athletic beast inside, but he should anchor the middle, not roam outside with quick pfs. Brook would've been worse, we'd have no hope with anyone with a quick pf. Plus i think Brooke will be the new poster king, taking the long lost title from Shawn Bradley. LBJ will baptize him soon, along with every other athletic 2, 3, 4, and 5 (and probably 1s too). I just don't think hes a good fit for us at all.

Back to the Frenchie, since most people don't know anything about him - he worked out here in Charlotte against Hibbert, McGee, and Jordan, and Ajinca impressed Brown the most out of those 4 head to head (everyone thought it was Hibbert, but Brown was actually targeting this guy when he traded for the 20 pick). Also, I heard he was killing in other workouts with these big guys, has a very competitve streak, and is real long and athletic (legit 7 feet with 7'8 wingspan). Also, from this video, yes he is skinny as hell, but he surprisingly has a very good, natural stroke out to the college 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj1bH...eature=related

So, don't mourn for missing out on Brook "T-bagged" Lopez, this guy is longer, more athletic, has more range to stretch the defense, blocks shots better, and just has more potential. All he has to do is go out to eat with Sean May and lift with Okafor, and he'll become a solid contributor sooner than you think.

Thanks for reading my mini-novel.
QC ThunderCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #32
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

I don't see a problem with DJ Augustin. I think it was a good pick because at the time we were targeting Hibbert at 20. I basically saw this draft as one good pick and two wasted ones. We passed up Bill Walker, Jordan, and CDR in the 2nd round. Even if they were raw, they would have been steals.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #33
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC ThunderCats
Ok, longtime lurker here, but HUGE (bob)cats fan... (from Charlotte, but still hate that name)

It seems that everyone is hating on the picks, both outsiders and insiders, but I actually think these picks were not only justifiable, but may be underrated and can actually turn out pretty good. Hear me out.

DJ Augustin pick -
Now those that have followed the cats know that we've had idiot coaches who didn't use Felton to the best of his abilities, or who played Jeff McMinus 30+ minutes a game But out of everything, there was a lot of moaning about our pg situation, that we had no depth. I think we have finally shored up this spot, as we finally have 2 skilled, high potential pg's on the team. DJ will not start - Larry Brown said in predraft workouts that only the 1st or 2nd pick looked good enough to start, everyone else in the draft will start on the bench. He even defended Felton pretty strongly in one interview, and I don't recall Brown ever being that complimentary before.

Also, why trade Felton - then we only have one pg again, and we'd be in the exact same situation again, needing a backup pg. I think Felton will start and shine this year at 30-35 minutes a game, with DJ coming in and allowing us to not have a dropoff at the position. So see, finally our pg situation looks good and looks the best it ever has, with two good young guys.

(however, if they end up trading Felton, then everything I said is moot, and the boobcats are idiots)

Augustin I like as a prospect, I just think he's a bad fit. Having 2 point guards in this league is like having 2 QBs in the college football, it hardly ever works.Both end up wanting to be "the guy", and seeing that Ray Felton was picked by the old regime he has to feel threatened. I like the pick as a player, just don't like his fit on our team.

Quote:
Alexis Ajinca
Well how do I defend this you ask? First, lets say I am waaaay happier with him than Brook Lopez. With Brook...lessons from the past - how many stiff centers become good in the NBA? Todd Fuller was a 7 footer who could shoot and averaged around 20-10 in a tough ACC. Doleac was a 7 footer who could shoot and was a star for a very good Utah team in college. Brook is a stiff 7 footer who can shoot. Plus, could you ever see Brook do this?:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2k...ampionsh_sport

Yes, the cats needed an inside presence with Okafor. But in the current NBA, you cant have two inside guys that can't move. Okafor is an athletic beast inside, but he should anchor the middle, not roam outside with quick pfs. Brook would've been worse, we'd have no hope with anyone with a quick pf. Plus i think Brooke will be the new poster king, taking the long lost title from Shawn Bradley. LBJ will baptize him soon, along with every other athletic 2, 3, 4, and 5 (and probably 1s too). I just don't think hes a good fit for us at all.

Back to the Frenchie, since most people don't know anything about him - he worked out here in Charlotte against Hibbert, McGee, and Jordan, and Ajinca impressed Brown the most out of those 4 head to head (everyone thought it was Hibbert, but Brown was actually targeting this guy when he traded for the 20 pick). Also, I heard he was killing in other workouts with these big guys, has a very competitve streak, and is real long and athletic (legit 7 feet with 7'8 wingspan). Also, from this video, yes he is skinny as hell, but he surprisingly has a very good, natural stroke out to the college 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj1bH...eature=related

So, don't mourn for missing out on Brook "T-bagged" Lopez, this guy is longer, more athletic, has more range to stretch the defense, blocks shots better, and just has more potential. All he has to do is go out to eat with Sean May and lift with Okafor, and he'll become a solid contributor sooner than you think.

I hope you're right. I think Alexis is a workout wonder though. He didn't prove anything with his team last year only averaging 5 points a game, then after everybody finds out he has a 7'8" wingspan they fall in love with him. Obviously he has skills, does he know how to translate them to the NBA game? From wathching other French big men I doubt it, and if we keep him in Europe for a few years and he does develope with the recent trend whose to say he decides to come to America and take what would most likely be a lower paying contract? I really hate this pick.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #34
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

To add salt to the wound MJ also almost dealt Walalce tor TJ Ford according to the Charlotte Observer.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #35
veilside23
alternick = loser :D

Brown wont play rookies so he basically wasted all their picks ... sad day but Okafor would fit 4 at best... Maybe they will trade felton+morrison or caroll for a center? I can only dream
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:54 AM   #36
QC ThunderCats
Saw a basketball once

[quote=2LeTTeRS]Augustin I like as a prospect, I just think he's a bad fit. Having 2 point guards in this league is like having 2 QBs in the college football, it hardly ever works.Both end up wanting to be "the guy", and seeing that Ray Felton was picked by the old regime he has to feel threatened. I like the pick as a player, just don't like his fit on our team.

You're from NC, right? I know PGs are like the QB of a team, but this kinda reminds me of the Panthers' draft. They didn't "need" another running back, maybe one for depth, but they went ahead and took the best one available, and now their rb position is a strength. I still feel Felton is going to get a shot - after seeing what Larry Brown did for Billups, I'm kinda excited to see how he'll help Felton out. And if for some reason it doesnt work out, at least we have DJ to fall back on.

And I don't know if I believe that Wallace for TJ Ford idea - why would you trade a 20 point scorer/strong defender for someone who is at constant risk for a career ending neck injury? If I'm the GM, keep the team together, we have a good young core, we've just had two of the worst coaches in history who didn't know any offensive sets or how use players. I believe Larry will get the best out of them for the 2 years he's here.
QC ThunderCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #37
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Do you think Denver would take Felton for Nene?
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:06 PM   #38
omarnyc
Local High School Star

i wanted the knicks to take augustine,people are sleeping on this kid because of his size but he is a pure pg, larry brown is a pretty good coach and he is really hard on pg's, so if he had a part in the decision to take augustine then chances are he's not that high on felton running the point.
omarnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:24 PM   #39
ElPigto
*****istrator

Quote:

He probably won't get to stretch the defense much in Larry Brown's system. Larry Brown dislikes it when his bigs are out on the perimeter taking three, or long jumpers.

Rasheed Wallace got away with it because he was a veteran (yet Larry Brown still hated this).
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:37 PM   #40
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

MJ is a dumbass and Larry Brown influence ontop of it could add insult to injury. But I loved the DJ Augustine pick. To me? I've turned sour on Raymond Felton. And Brook Lopez? Please. The guy had tears in his eyes. Certified pansy.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:37 PM   #41
mrhoopfan
Local High School Star

Brook Lopez is no Shawn Bradley...he's only 19 and imo watching him play a ton of games this year, i don't think that Yao at that age would've done much more in the Pac-10 conference. When I watch him play, he reminds me of a shorter Yao: great touch, methodical, nice j, etc.
mrhoopfan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: