Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-27-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation
Default So we could have had g-wallace for TJ straight up?

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NBA/article/450194

and we would have taken McGee if we still had 17.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation
Default Re: So we could have had g-wallace for TJ straight up?

According to sources.... mehhhh.

Sorry Im not buying it.

Especially as they have Felton at PG and then they drafted a PG.

You really think they were ever interested in taking on TJ at Point?

No way.

Secondly even if there is a little bit of truth in there somewhere... TJ and Gwall were center pieces... hmmm what were the other pieces?

Barges, Parker TJ for GWal and no second round.

TJ salary doesnt match up the GWalls for sure so you gonna gut the team for what?

Like I said - im not buying it. Nothing but "internet"
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
bonez26
Local High School Star

bonez26 has an OK reputation so far

Me neither...pure conjecture. The O'Neal trade was agreed upon 2-3 days ago roughly...It's Also harder to find a C then a defensive minded SF with a horrible looking shot. Although I do like Gwall.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Good Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NBA/article/450194

and we would have taken McGee if we still had 17.

G Wallace is one more concussion away from being out of the league.

Arguably he should already be out of the league of his 4th major in 4 years last Feb.

So...
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'd prefer to have O'Neal anyways.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

I prefer O'neal too, but the straight up trade works.
TJ salary 8 mil
Wallace salary 8.2 mil

So we could have a Rebounding, defending starting SF plus a C prospect.
Obviously the problem is Wallace is more fragile than Tj and O'neal.
Also the length of contract is awful. So if he goes down your stuck with 8-11 million on the books (and cap) for 5 years.
Apparently we would have done it if Charlotte included a pick.
I'm glad they didn't.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
power works
High School JV MVP

power works has an OK reputation so far

I think this proposed deal is very legit. The primary competing deal (for the JO one).

Makes sense, LB puts a lot of stock on a pass-first PG, and Felton ain't it. And we all know how much he loves playing rookies.....a rookie PG . That's gold.

The salaries match ($9.5 vs $8.77), and this was a deal BC could easily have taken. What I don't believe is that a 2nd-rounder (the Raptors required) was the deal-breaker.

It came down to GWall having an extra $21 mil owed and 2 years on his contract, and the Raps having the financial flexibility sooner (on a very good 2010 FA crop).

On-court I agree, a healthy JO probably would help the Raptors more.
power works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
Molson
Great young streetballer

Molson has an OK reputation so far

I would have taken Gwall over JO. He can score, rebound, get to the net and play defense. It is exactly what Raptor fans have been clamouring for at the SF position for years. He woudl have been a perfect fit for thsi team. He is a scary fall away from another consussion but Ford is also a scary fall away from having his career end.

With this deal, at worst if Gwall goes down you have bascially the exact same team from last year PLUS whoever you take at 17. At best, we have the same team from last year PLUS a SF that fills everything we have been lacking at that position.

I am stunned that we didn't get this deal because of a second round pick.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
pocketWs
I hit open 5-footers

pocketWs has an OK reputation so far

Am I the only one that read: "According to sources, a trade that would have had Ford and Charlotte's Gerald Wallace as the centrepieces – and allowed Toronto to keep its draft pick – was scuttled when the Bobcats refused to add a second-round pick to sweeten the deal.

Phoenix and Portland were also after Ford before Toronto took the Indiana offer."

First off, Wallace and Ford were the two main player in the deal, who else was included, who was Charlotte after? Moon (no way too good of a contract), AP, AB, JK? It would have been awsome to keep our 1st round pick but at what price?

Second, there seemed to be 4-5 teams looking at TJ, Colangelo must've went with the best deal availible to him. If a second round pick is a deal breaker for the Charlotte draft, I can imagine that the asking price for GWall was just too much. As for the other teams, I can only assume the same thing because let's not forget, I still have faith in BC.
pocketWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:36 PM   #10
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketWs
Am I the only one that read: "According to sources, a trade that would have had Ford and Charlotte's Gerald Wallace as the centrepieces – and allowed Toronto to keep its draft pick – was scuttled when the Bobcats refused to add a second-round pick to sweeten the deal.

Phoenix and Portland were also after Ford before Toronto took the Indiana offer."

First off, Wallace and Ford were the two main player in the deal, who else was included, who was Charlotte after? Moon (no way too good of a contract), AP, AB, JK? It would have been awsome to keep our 1st round pick but at what price?

Exactly. Even MJ isn't a terrible enough front office guy to trade Wallace straight up for another shoot-first point guard. There was obviously more involved, let's not kid ourselves.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:42 PM   #11
Molson
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Am I the only one that read: "According to sources, a trade that would have had Ford and Charlotte's Gerald Wallace as the centrepieces and allowed Toronto to keep its draft pick was scuttled when the Bobcats refused to add a second-round pick to sweeten the deal.

Second, there seemed to be 4-5 teams looking at TJ, Colangelo must've went with the best deal availible to him. If a second round pick is a deal breaker for the Charlotte draft, I can imagine that the asking price for GWall was just too much. As for the other teams, I can only assume the same thing because let's not forget, I still have faith in BC.

Good point. I thought I read elsewhere it was ford/Wallace & 2nd round but i have been reading so many artciles since the draft i am losing track. lol

But yeah you are right, without knowing what was involved it's hard to say one way or another.

I just love watching Gwall play so much. The guy just leaves everything on the court. He defends, gets to the rim, rebounds, hustles, runs the fast break, scores. Just a fun player to watch that could have added so much to the Raptors.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #12
pocketWs
I hit open 5-footers

pocketWs has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson
I just love watching Gwall play so much. The guy just leaves everything on the court. He defends, gets to the rim, rebounds, hustles, runs the fast break, scores. Just a fun player to watch that could have added so much to the Raptors.

I'm not doubting GWall's game either, I think he'd be a great fit for T.O., he's exactly the type of SF we need but we'll have to wait on someone else. Maybe Moon can breakout this year and become the athletic, slashing, rebounding monster we dream of him being, what am I smoking?
pocketWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:47 PM   #13
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Oh common guys. It seems every player that we had a chance of trading for, had an injury of some kind :P
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #14
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
I'm not doubting GWall's game either, I think he'd be a great fit for T.O., he's exactly the type of SF we need but we'll have to wait on someone else. Maybe Moon can breakout this year and become the athletic, slashing, rebounding monster we dream of him being, what am I smoking?

That would be Mary Jane for $100, Alex...
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:51 AM   #15
Molson
Great young streetballer

Sorry, this is just in honour of what could have been

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7R0RgoBzuo

Problem with Gerald is that it's his reckless style and grit that earn him all those concussions. But man, you gotta love someone that lays it on the line like that.

Last edited by Molson : 06-28-2008 at 12:53 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: