Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #31
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: If you were drafted in the nba draft...

and a million dollars a year will always be a lot to me
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:53 PM   #32
sixerfan82
College star

sixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong waysixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
No you wouldnt. Stop telling lies.

and you would know im tellin lies how? do you know who i am? or what i'm about?

i stand by what i said, firmly

but you can have $60 million while i can enjoy a ring, k?
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:07 PM   #33
Killer_Instinct
And Another One

Killer_Instinct has an OK reputation so far

What kind of question.... I'd go first and take the money. I like challenges too, so I'd embrace that 1# guy role. Add in the money, and I really don't get why anybody would pick the second option.
Killer_Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:09 PM   #34
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan82
and you would know im tellin lies how? do you know who i am? or what i'm about?

i stand by what i said, firmly

Because you have this modest couch potato outlook. If you were in position to be drafted? You would want to be #1. The status alone is what kids dream of let alone financial benefits. The only modest approach is politically correct, keeping things in perspective "Wherever i go it doesnt matter as long as I'm in the NBA.". Anyone who has played competitive sports knows the deal. Your life is dedicated to being a pro. And if you have attention to go #1, no prospect would ever turn that down to be drafted by Boston Celtics at pick 30 just because the chance of another ring exists. The only kids who dream of that? Are ones who are undrafted or go 2nd round to a team/situation they arent thrilled with. Otherwise? You wouldnt pick what you did.

The whole enjoy your $60mil I enjoy the ring? Yeah when you're a free agent and negotiations are underway lets see if you take what the team offers or do you demand market value if not more because you feel worthy. You're not realistic with your answer. Couch potato fan? Sure you'll say "win a ring".

Put yourself in the shoes of Kevin Love? Oj Mayo? Derrick Rose? You wouldnt dare type what you did.

Lebron James going #1 overall or Ian Mahinmi at pick 28? Your choce.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #35
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer_Instinct
What kind of question.... I'd go first and take the money. I like challenges too, so I'd embrace that 1# guy role. Add in the money, and I really don't get why anybody would pick the second option.

Guess they wanna dance around like Mark Madsen.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:17 PM   #36
Xplicit
Great young streetballer

Xplicit has an OK reputation so far

Well said, GOBB.

If you chose the 2nd option, you need to look at yourself in the mirror. You probably lack self-confidence. Whatever you do, you should always strive to be the best. Having the "I'm just happy to be here" mentality just shows you accept mediocrity.

Quote:

Wow, you won a ring by sitting on the bench, riding coattails all season. What pride you should have

In a few years, when you run out of money.. you'll sell me your ring for half a million
Xplicit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #37
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Would you rather make $500,000 a year as CEO of crappy computers company, or make $35,000 working in the mailroom for Apple?
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:24 PM   #38
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Guess they wanna dance around like Mark Madsen.
Yep. I always hate the type of guys at the park who want to play pickup games with the four best players on their team. You don't want to win a game you can be proud of and that you have to work for?

Not me. I want whatever teammates I get, and I want to defend the other team's best guard.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #39
Killer_Instinct
And Another One

Killer_Instinct has an OK reputation so far

C/S GOBB. He bassically just said it all. It's amazing people would settle for being a bench warmer when you've proably worked your whole life to get to this point. I can't figure out why someone would settle on the biggest stage of basketball if they have a choice. One should strive to exceed expectations, contribute in winning the ring, and get all they can out of their career. Where's the satisfaction sitting on a bench and watching your guys win the ring? Years down the road, no one will remember your name.

Why would you want to be Brian Scalabrine or Slava Medvenko when you could be Paul Peirce or Shaq per se, and be the 'man' on your team, with 60 million thrown in for the hell of it? Not everyone wants that responsibility, but if I work my whole life off to get to a certain point, only on a cold day in hell would I willingly accept being the 12th man when I could've chose to be the 'man'.
Killer_Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:46 PM   #40
Kobe4life
Banned

Kobe4life posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryKobe4life posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryKobe4life posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

money always comes first and then when u think u have enough for your life time then thats when u crave a ring
Kobe4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #41
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #42
thenextgreatbigman
Banned

thenextgreatbigman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Yep. I always hate the type of guys at the park who want to play pickup games with the four best players on their team. You don't want to win a game you can be proud of and that you have to work for?

Not me. I want whatever teammates I get, and I want to defend the other team's best guard.
I see that a lot, especially with the older guys. Then they brag about winning like they actually contributed to the team.
thenextgreatbigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #43
JayGuevara
Hellbound

JayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Or, you can be Darko, be a number 2 pick, get a lot more guaranteed money, and win a ring by doing as little as possible.

As it stands, obviously I'd much rather be a Top 10 pick for more guaranteed money, and going that high generally (not always, Kwame, Darko, Kandiman, the Sonics 3 or 4 lottery picks before Durant, etc etc) means you're pretty damn good, and capable of getting a max contract before your career is over.

But, no matter if I was picked 3rd overall or 33rd overall, I'd still enjoy all the perks of being in the NBA. I think it was the 2006 season, and I had read something in the Detroit Free Press about the salary cap status of the Pistons and each players guaranteed salary that year. And if I recall correctly, Amir Johnson as a 18 year old rookie sittin on the bench was makin like 600,000 a year, got front row seats for every Pistons game, free travel arrangements, free room and board, and even if you're a bench warmer, you can still get groupies (Marko Jaric is a best case scenario, Andray Blatche or whoever it was on the Wizards that got busted for tryin to pick up a hooker must just be terribly confused), and I think NBA players get however much money a day on road trips for food and **** too, right?

So yes, while everyone would like to be in a situation where you can take a 10 million dollar paycut and still make 20 million a year would be amazing, I'd still be able to have some fun and do pretty good for myself riding the bench and still making over 500,000 a year and all that free ****.
JayGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #44
sixerfan82
College star

sixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong waysixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplicit
Well said, GOBB.

If you chose the 2nd option, you need to look at yourself in the mirror. You probably lack self-confidence. Whatever you do, you should always strive to be the best. Having the "I'm just happy to be here" mentality just shows you accept mediocrity.

Wow, you won a ring by sitting on the bench, riding coattails all season. What pride you should have

In a few years, when you run out of money.. you'll sell me your ring for half a million

That's cute, yea i won it, but at least i didn't have to buy it

Also, going #1 isnt a guaranteed win win situation down the line, not every #1 pick has gone on to win a title

furthermore, it's my opinion, so what if i chose less money? that makes me dumb to prefer a winner vs fancy dinner?

edit: having to "be the best" is what broke up a lot of good *situations*. You should learn to interpret "happy being here to contribute" as a mature way of saying "these are my strengths and this is how fill the role ive been asked"

this is my final post on the topic, post what you want, it's words anyway

Last edited by sixerfan82 : 06-27-2008 at 06:50 PM.
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:02 PM   #45
Make It Rain
Banned

Make It Rain has an OK reputation so far

MONEY. Cash rules everything around me.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: