Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-27-2008, 06:45 PM   #16
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: If I'm not mistaken... was David Stern getting 'Boooed' at last night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Yeah, another generic answer. So he held office while the NBA had a bunch of legends playing. What kind of effort does that take?

How come nobody on this damn site can actually cite anything the man has done that is positive, but they all say what a good job he's doing?

Mathius

Basically what Mathius is trying to say is:

David Stern just found himself in a pleasant situation in just the RIGHT time.

I don't entirely agree with him, but it's a bit overhyped on what he did for the sport. Yeah he helped promote the game to get better recognition around the world, but it was because of Jordan, Bird, Magic, etc that he was able to complete such a task. I think he deserves recognition, but many of you take it to far making it seem as if he were the God of this sport.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:45 PM   #17
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: If I'm not mistaken... was David Stern getting 'Boooed' at last night?

Quote:
Yeah, another generic answer. So he held office while the NBA had a bunch of legends playing. What kind of effort does that take?

How come nobody on this damn site can actually cite anything the man has done that is positive, but they all say what a good job he's doing?

Mathius
seen this movie before, so instead of somebody wasting their time so you can pooh pooh everyone's opinons why don't you explain away the massive growth of the NBA under stern's tenure..

explain how he had nothing to do with record TV contracts, the growth of the NBA into an multi billion dollar international enterprise or the fact that franchise values have quadrupled during his time....
explain how having all the games on TV is a bad thing, or how much happier you were when finals games were on tape delay to be shown after the 11 o'clock news
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:53 PM   #18
Trax416
Great young streetballer

Trax416 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
seen this movie before, so instead of somebody wasting their time so you can pooh pooh everyone's opinons why don't you explain away the massive growth of the NBA under stern's tenure..

explain how he had nothing to do with record TV contracts, the growth of the NBA into an multi billion dollar international enterprise or the fact that franchise values have quadrupled during his time....
explain how having all the games on TV is a bad thing, or how much happier you were when finals games were on tape delay to be shown after the 11 o'clock news

It's obvious he just started watching basketball.

The NBA before stern was a joke compared to what it is today.

Do you really think he just so happened to become commissioner and everything just worked itself out?

It's obvious you are 12 years old and have no idea how the world or business works if you think that.

Looks like the NBA just so happened to turn into one of the largest international sports organizations in the entire world, while contributing more to the community then any other sports organization in North America, having every game televised on national TV, and growing in ratings each year.

The NBA before stern was pretty much a joke in comparison to the NFL, MLB and Hockey. Now it's bigger then them all on a global scale.
Trax416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #19
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax416
1. He has helped turn the game international, and plans on being the first out of the four big pro sports organizations to move overseas.

2. He has helped the community of the cities NBA players play for with gigantic charity events. He also helps places like New Orleans that are suffering.

3. He has started huge programs for literacy in America and Canada.

4. He has helped changed the NBA so it fits well with multiple styles of play. By fixing rules.

5. He has cracked down on steroids and trouble makers. Things leagues like the NFL and MLB are struggling with right now.

Want me to go on?

Yes, please do. 2 and 3, are charity, they don't have much to do with the league being successful, they are an offshoot of the success the league is having, and are nice, but optional.

4 is SERIOUSLY debatable. I personally think that most of the rule changes under Stern's reign have hurt the game, and it's no coincidence that USA basketball is getting worse instead of better.

5 is commendable, but it's not rocket science, it's just a matter of making sure that proper drug testing and policies are in place. The NFL fails because they don't do enough preemptive strikes, and their drug violation policy is stupid. A 1 yr suspension for violating the drug policy, while players in the NBA have been banned for life.

And you're #1 reason? I don't see overseas growth as a positive. First off, the league is already watered down. Travel to overseas to play has proven to hurt the players in terms of fatigue. The logistics of actually having a team overseas is completely irrational, 1/2 of the Canadian franchises failed and had to move, and lastly, I guess you could argue there are some international players who have left their mark on the league, but most of the great ones are products of collegiate scouting, not guys who came directly from the euroleagues to the NBA and actually made an impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts

OK, so you're going to say that all that crap you just said had nothing to do with guys like Bird and Magic coming into their prime as soon as Stern entered the league, and a few guys by the name of Jordan, Pippen, David Robinson, Charles Barkley, and on and on and on?

Is it a coincidence then that when those legends retired, ratings dropped, or that the Finals the last 5 years have dropped in ratings? I haven't gotten the figures from this year's finals, but Stern certainly isn't responsible for the Lakers being handed Gasol, or the Celtics pulling off the perfect storm where they not only had a bunch of young highly coveted players, but just at the right time as well, where guys like Garnett and Allen were already to jump ship to the east after Lebron James success?

Yeah, sounding condescending and contemptuous of my stance makes all your arguments valid. Except for something called reality.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:03 PM   #20
Mathius

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:

No, it's obvious you don't have a fucking clue who you're talking about.

Mathius
Old 06-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #21
highwhey
el vato encabronado

highwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
1. He has helped turn the game international, and plans on being the first out of the four big pro sports organizations to move overseas.

2. He has helped the community of the cities NBA players play for with gigantic charity events. He also helps places like New Orleans that are suffering.

3. He has started huge programs for literacy in America and Canada.

4. He has helped changed the NBA so it fits well with multiple styles of play. By fixing rules.

5. He has cracked down on steroids and trouble makers. Things leagues like the NFL and MLB are struggling with right now.

Want me to go on?

You might not like him, but he has done a ton for the NBA and basketball. He had the vision to help take the NBA international. Which is a huge step and sets the NBA apart from other pro sports organization.

Where's the part about unfair officiating and complete lack of interest in further investigating unfair officiating by referees with questionable activities? You should have at least mentioned how Stern fines players that talk against him. If a player mentions unfair and NBA in the same sentence, he'll have a 500k fine the next day. It's unfair to NBA players when they get fined for expressing their own opinion in a FREE country. He deserves to get booed.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #22
hito da god
look that way >>>>

hito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected poster

I know it doesn't add anything to the discussion, but

Quote:
No, it's obvious you don't have a fucking clue who you're talking about.

Mathius

hito da god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:31 PM   #23
hito da god
look that way >>>>

hito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
Where's the part about unfair officiating and complete lack of interest in further investigating unfair officiating by referees with questionable activities? You should have at least mentioned how Stern fines players that talk against him. If a player mentions unfair and NBA in the same sentence, he'll have a 500k fine the next day. It's unfair to NBA players when they get fined for expressing their own opinion in a FREE country. He deserves to get booed.

Do you know how bad it would be for the league if every player went off on a tirade about poor officiating after every game? The league already has enough unjust image problems, this would just make it a lot worse.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:33 PM   #24
mrspurs
Can barely lace up my sneakers

mrspurs has an OK reputation so far

i wouldnt waste my breathe on stern..go spurs go
mrspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:44 PM   #25
Make It Rain
Banned

Make It Rain has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Yeah, sounding condescending and contemptuous of my stance makes all your arguments valid. Except for something called reality.
Mathius
It's called being a Lakers/Kobe fan. They have to share the same personality as their favorite player too root for that player. Plus, gts is a joke anyway. His knowledge of basketball is limited to the purple and gold.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:47 PM   #26
highwhey
el vato encabronado

highwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hito da god

Do you know how bad it would be for the league if every player went off on a tirade about poor officiating after every game? The league already has enough unjust image problems, this would just make it a lot worse.

ummm...did you read the results of the survey a few weeks ago? 52% I believe, of Americans believed the NBA was rigged...Stern hasn't done nothing to correct the unfair and inconsistent NBA officiating. He's allowed fans to create a poor image about the NBA. so yeah...how about he does something instead of "These matters are being further investigated"...more like this: I'm just pulling words out of my ass and I will completely forget about this in a few weeks, and so will you.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #27
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by hito da god

Yeah, and how did they get there in the first place? By someone trying to rule with an iron fist and blowing it.

Mathius
Old 06-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #28
NoGunzJustSkillz

NoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

nah he started watching the nba in the year 2003.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #29
Make It Rain
Banned

Make It Rain has an OK reputation so far

I think the NBA is rigged too. And I don't buy into the nonsense that analysts are saying that the NBA can't be rigged because everyone would have to be in on it (Owners, players, etc.) to perfectly rig a game. But who's talking about perfect? You can subtly change outcomes of the game to your liking. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't. But nobody will go all out because it'll be noticeable. Stern is a joke of a commissioner. REPLACE HIM.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #30
hito da god
look that way >>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
ummm...did you read the results of the survey a few weeks ago? 52% I believe, of Americans believed the NBA was rigged...Stern hasn't done nothing to correct the unfair and inconsistent NBA officiating. He's allowed fans to create a poor image about the NBA. so yeah...how about he does something instead of "These matters are being further investigated"...more like this: I'm just pulling words out of my ass and I will completely forget about this in a few weeks, and so will you.

Oh, so 52% of America says the NBA is rigged... In that case, it must be true! Please, the notion that NBA games are pre-determined is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard in my life.

How do you know he's just sweeping the Donaghy situation under the rug and forgetting about it? And don't give me this crap about poor officiating, ever watched an NFL game? Officiating will never be perfect.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: