Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-27-2008, 06:03 PM   #16
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation
Default Re: Free Agents Raptors Can Realistically Sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Night_Elf
I dunno...we don't have a back-up PG right now and to me that's a huge need. Especially if the goal is to make a deep run in the playoffs. Yes Parker and Delfino (if he stays) can play some point but they are not a viable solution for an entire season.

Just saying when I look at the Raps right now, that is the most pressing need...Unless I'm forgetting something lol.

There are plenty of option at PG on the free agent market.

The Raps biggest need now is to get a scoring/slashing SF.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:17 PM   #17
The_Night_Elf
My Game's Nucking Futs

The_Night_Elf is considered somewhat coolThe_Night_Elf is considered somewhat coolThe_Night_Elf is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
There are plenty of option at PG on the free agent market.

The Raps biggest need now is to get a scoring/slashing SF.

True there are options but other than Udrih I only like Duhon.

As for the scoring/slashing SF, I heard the Raptors want a guy who can average anywhere from 15 to 20 PPG. A player like that will probably cost more than we have in the budget.

Interestingly enough, I have a feeling with O'neal down low it will open things up for the wing players we already have. So I'm feeling like the Raps are a lot better off there than they are at the PG spot.
The_Night_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:19 PM   #18
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Roger Mason, Chris Duhon, James Posey and Mikael Pietrus are the 4 I would wanna see playin on the raptors next season...

Bring Roger Mason BACK...
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:37 PM   #19
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Good Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Thanks Man. Did I really repeat something? I read through the thread as I always do before posting in one. I guess I missed something.

Anyways, jump in on this conversation we're having. I'd like know people's opinion wether they agree with me or not. (as long as you can articulate it. I'm just down to talk basketball. Not trying to prove anything) Maybe even let me in on what I missed.

There are lots of regular and irregular posters here really passionate about the Raptors. Enjoy.

I was just saying that, from what I have been reading over the past year in the papers, and in blogs such as Grange's (G&M), Doug Smith's (TorStar), and RHQ, that Roko Ukic seems to be the long term plan to arrive this Fall as a backup PG. So the back up PG discussion is sort of mute, unless the discussion starts there.

Now, I havn't seen a wink of him play in ages, I think few posters here have. So I have no idea if he is any good. Though there are several posters who have (names escape me, post from Europe) that swear he is excellent, huge upside, brilliant, Calderonesque, jesus, etc.

It's just that the only issue seems to be if a 3rd pg is added for super cheap.

For example Wikipedia's Roko Ukic article reminds us that:

"...According to an article in the Toronto Sun, dated January 11, 2007, the Toronto Raptors have reached a deal that would allow point guard Roko Ukić to play for Toronto next season..." i.e. in the Fall for 2008/09

Personally, I'm in the minority that thinks Delfino should stay, and should play more PG. PG and PF are the only positions we need not waste talk about.

PG: Calderon, Delfino, Ukic
PF: Bosh, Bargnani
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:29 PM   #20
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

I am sure people will disagree, and he's had some issues no question. But a bigtime upside guy, that if everything fell into place that could be a difference maker is Bonzi Wells. He played really well last year after the previous season where there was some personal stuff.

If given minutes, he's a slasher, great rebounder, great post up player and can hold his own on D. He plays big in big games and can put a team on his back when motivated and rolling.

Last edited by RapsFan : 06-27-2008 at 08:54 PM.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #21
The_Night_Elf
My Game's Nucking Futs

The_Night_Elf is considered somewhat coolThe_Night_Elf is considered somewhat coolThe_Night_Elf is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Old Willy
There are lots of regular and irregular posters here really passionate about the Raptors. Enjoy.

I was just saying that, from what I have been reading over the past year in the papers, and in blogs such as Grange's (G&M), Doug Smith's (TorStar), and RHQ, that Roko Ukic seems to be the long term plan to arrive this Fall as a backup PG. So the back up PG discussion is sort of mute, unless the discussion starts there.

Now, I havn't seen a wink of him play in ages, I think few posters here have. So I have no idea if he is any good. Though there are several posters who have (names escape me, post from Europe) that swear he is excellent, huge upside, brilliant, Calderonesque, jesus, etc.

It's just that the only issue seems to be if a 3rd pg is added for super cheap.

For example Wikipedia's Roko Ukic article reminds us that:

"...According to an article in the Toronto Sun, dated January 11, 2007, the Toronto Raptors have reached a deal that would allow point guard Roko Ukić to play for Toronto next season..." i.e. in the Fall for 2008/09

Personally, I'm in the minority that thinks Delfino should stay, and should play more PG. PG and PF are the only positions we need not waste talk about.

PG: Calderon, Delfino, Ukic
PF: Bosh, Bargnani

I've seen Roko play in some clips here and there and he seems talented. The thing is I think he may need some time to adjust to the NBA game. I think it may take at least half the season or a season for him to adjust, and after the trade for JO I think the Raps are in a win now mode and can't wait for Ukic to adjust. it would hurt them in their chances for contention.

Don't get me wrong I like Roko and I'm glad he's Raptor property but it would be unfair to expect the guy to come in right away and give 15 to 18 productive minutes. I just don't see it happening.

Though I hope he proves me wrong...
The_Night_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:28 PM   #22
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Interestingly enough, I have a feeling with O'neal down low it will open things up for the wing players we already have. So I'm feeling like the Raps are a lot better off there than they are at the PG spot.

This is what gives me the feeling that Colangelo is done for now as far as major moves go - hearing the Gerald Wallace rumour, it seems like for the short term it was either going to be one or the other - defensive big OR slashing wing - and that BC would try to address the other later or stick with what we have.

Kapono won't play anything but SF effectively, and more than any other player on the roster he's a Colangelo guy. I think the team is set on sticking with him at the 3, especially with another inside threat like O'Neal on the way to open things up in the corners.

Cap money/lack of tradeable assets with TJ gone limits what the team can do anyway. Probably they try to fortify the SF and SG positions in free agency with a decent player or two, but I'd seriously be shocked if that Maggette/GWallace type player is coming anytime soon.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:39 PM   #23
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Roko Ukic was alright before last season. But I guess according to many sources that he has drastically improved and is now more of a PG. Before last season he was more of a 2 guard.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:03 AM   #24
AC Earl
I airball my layups

AC Earl has an OK reputation so far

How about going after a couple of undrafted players like Josh Duncan (Xavier), Drew Neitzel (MSU), or Demarcus Nelson (Duke)? I am sure BC can find another diamond in the rough out there like he found Moon last year.
AC Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #25
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
I am sure people will disagree, and he's had some issues no question. But a bigtime upside guy, that if everything fell into place that could be a difference maker is Bonzi Wells. He played really well last year after the previous season where there was some personal stuff.

If given minutes, he's a slasher, great rebounder, great post up player and can hold his own on D. He plays big in big games and can put a team on his back when motivated and rolling.

I think that he might fall out of our price range, unless we use our full MLE on him which I doubt. IIRC, he turned down a long term deal from Sac a year or 2 ago for some pretty decent money so I'm not sure he'll take a paycut. He does bring those aspects that you mentioned to the team though and I haven't heard much about him making trouble in New Orleans once he got some PT.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #26
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

The thing is, with so few teams having cap space, guys that would normally get way more then the MLE are going to have to settle for it. Outside of sign and trades, a guy like Artest isn't going to get more then the MLE no matter how much he wants it. Same with Cory Magg. Either they stay with their teams which it doesn't look like Cory or Artest will, or they s&t, and two teams need to agree....or they accept the MLE.

Saying that, I think Bonzi in the past would have gotten a decent deal in the 6-8mill per range, but now, I am not so sure. I could be wrong but maybe he could be had for a 3yr $12 mill type deal. I have no idea.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #27
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

Well said Rapsfan. This year F/A market could net some teams very good value. The salary cap is especially hard on wing players because of the glut of them. So from a value stand point deals are available.

That's why the JO trade is so nice. With two potential All Stars and a highly regarded point guard in Calderon, it easier to attract that wing player from other teams who all have nothing more then MLE to offer. Couple that with a respected front office and a very strong fan base and TO is an attractive destination.

I think the most promising thing about the current, and developing Raptor roster is this may be a team Sam knows how to coach. Bosh and JO in the middle, a pick and roll master in Calderon, a sharp shooter in Kapono that Sam might finally use and maybe, just maybe a slashing wing to change the style instead of kapono and I'm anxious to see how we stack up.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #28
power works
High School JV MVP

power works has an OK reputation so far

Scratch a back-up PG from the need-to-sign list, cause for better or worse, it looks like Ukic will be the man now. If that doesn't work, we can always try to sign Damon for the veteran's min as a backup to our backup. Gone are the days when you can say the Raptors have the best backup PG in da league .

Scratch a backup centre too; between Bargs and the Aussie Shaq () that should be enough.

The Raps will have $5 mil (MLE) to spend on a wing not named Delfino.

I agree with some of you guys that Bonzi Wells is well worth the look. Not sure if the full MLE will be enough to sign him. His attitude ainít the best, but his toughness and slashing is what the Raptors need.

If not Bonzi maybe Mickael Pietrus, but ainít sure heís actually better than Delfino. More athletic, not a better shooter. James Jones is another 3-pt shooter available to make room for Bosh & JO.

Since the goal for the roster is quality over quantity (unlike last year) I wouldnít be surprised if BC trades for a quality wing. Not blockbuster like the JO deal, more like solid --- in the mold of Raja Bell.

If BC can't deal, best-case scenario would be a good player willing to take a pay cut to play for a contender.
power works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:19 PM   #29
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

I think that Toronto is going to attract more free agents because they are a much better team than they were before the J.O trade. Maybe someone is willing to take a pay cut to play in Toronto but i don't see many players who will.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #30
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
The thing is, with so few teams having cap space, guys that would normally get way more then the MLE are going to have to settle for it. Outside of sign and trades, a guy like Artest isn't going to get more then the MLE no matter how much he wants it. Same with Cory Magg. Either they stay with their teams which it doesn't look like Cory or Artest will, or they s&t, and two teams need to agree....or they accept the MLE.

I'm not an expert on the cap. But can't they also just decide to sign back with their respective teams on a one-year deal and then cash in the next year when inevitably some team has the money to spend, ala what Deshawn Stevenson did a couple years ago?

Seems like a standout player could afford to swallow his pride for a season knowing that he'll be able to play his way into the big contract he wants, rather than settle for locking in to less than what they're worth for 3 or 4 years.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: