Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 06-28-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

ConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Bulls article from the Chicago Sun-Times

Quote:
BY BRIAN HANLEY bhanley@suntimes.com
Now that the Bulls have selected Derrick Rose with the top pick in the draft, general manager John Paxson can move on to the next item on his to-do list.

Paxson said he hopes to hire the assistants for new coach Vinny Del Negro within the next few days. He also will begin contract talks with the agents for Ben Gordon and Luol Deng when the NBA's free-agent market officially opens Tuesday.

''We are going to start the process right away,'' Paxson said during an interview Friday on WSCR-AM (670). ''I know that we've been in contact with both Ben and Luol. ... We're hoping [Tuesday or Wednesday] we get them here and we sit down face-to-face and start seeing what we can do.

''But I never know. They're restricted this time around. There could be a market for them. And they have the ability to go explore that.''

As restricted free agents, Gordon and Deng can solicit an offer sheet from another team. The Bulls have retained the right to match any deal by extending qualifying contract offers of $6.4 million to Gordon and $4.45 million to Deng before the deadline Monday.

Gordon and Deng -- who both turned down five-year, $50 million contract extensions last October -- will become unrestricted free agents next summer if they accept their respective qualifying offers.

The team officially will introduce Rose -- as much as Chicago needs an introduction to the former Simeon star -- at a news conference Monday at the United Center.

Paxson said the addition of Rose, whom the Bulls drafted with the No. 1 pick Thursday, does not necessarily mean a roster fire sale is at hand, particularly in the backcourt.

''We're not going to rush into that because, for example, I think Kirk Hinrich can play very effectively with Derrick Rose,'' Paxson said. ''I think Ben Gordon can play very effectively with Derrick Rose. I think Thabo [Sefolosha] can. We have Larry Hughes as well.

''Because of Derrick's age [19], we're going to be careful in how we go about this. We're not going to rush into giving up some of our players thinking that's going to solve all our problems.''

During his two-day visit to Deerfield before the draft, Rose met Hinrich, Gordon and Joakim Noah.

''I think I can blend in great,'' Rose said. ''We're young, we'll be able to talk to each other. They're great guys.''

Paxson said taking Rose over Kansas State forward Michael Beasley was more than a consensus choice.

''Very honestly, at the end when we made our decision, it was unanimous among our scouts and coaches and myself,'' Paxson said. ''This had everything to do with the direction we felt was right for us. I think he's a special type of talent.

''I think ultimately what separated Derrick for us is his position, point guard, is such a difficult one to fill for the long term. ... There are 20 teams ... that would love to have a bona fide point guard. And most of the teams that do are some of the elite teams.

''I don't think there is a player at that position who has the physical gifts Derrick has -- the strength, the incredible speed he has. I think that is something that's going to be very difficult to guard. I guess that's what we finally came down to. Finally, I think Derrick's just a super young man. He's humble.''

Paxson also liked the fact Rose led Simeon to consecutive state titles and Memphis to the NCAA final as a freshman last season.

''He wins everywhere he goes,'' Paxson said. ''That's an intangible thing that's important.

''You also have to look at our league right now. A number of years the league looked at scoring numbers that had gone down. They looked at how the perimeter was being defended. The league basically, and very wisely so, took away some of the contact that was allowed defensively on the perimeter. So now when you have good guards that can handle the ball, penetrate, and have speed and quickness, they're at an advantage.

''Derrick has that going for him in a big way. He's the type of player that's probably going to get to most places he wants to on the floor.''

NOTE: In the second round, the Bulls chose Arkansas forward Sonny Weems, then worked out a trade that sent him to the Portland Trail Blazers for the rights to 7-foot center Omer Asik from Turkey.

Asik, who will turn 22 Friday, is expected to spend the next two years in Europe. General manager John Paxson believes the Bulls landed a ''first-round talent'' in Asik.

''We made this as a futures play,'' Paxson said. ''You look at size ... we thought if we could get him, it was a no-brainer.

''The other thing is ... honestly, we didn't want to put another guy on our roster this year out of the draft. We're young enough. We just felt if we could get him, knowing that's a chip for 2010 that we'll have coming over, we thought that was great.''

I'm not too sure about this... Paxson NEEDS to change up the roster now more than ever. Playing Rose and Hinrich together won't change a thing. Send Hinrich to a team that would be willing to give up a big man who the Bulls need.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
CaNt Be ToUcHeD
High school junior varsity star

CaNt Be ToUcHeD has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Bulls article from the Chicago Sun-Times

will we have enough cap space to re sign gordon and deng? isnt rose guaranteed 10 mill the first 2 years?
CaNt Be ToUcHeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
brink666
Can barely lace up my sneakers

brink666 has an OK reputation so far

Patience...

Deron Williams (3 yr at Illinois, PG final four team) did not start til mid-season. I don't think Rose will start too. He needs to get used to the play of the NBA. I think Pax would be advised, and reports are, that he's not gonna count on Rose to start. Look for Pax to be getting rid of those contracts (Gooden, 7.5 mil, Heinrich 3 yr 9.5 mil, etc) at the trading deadline.

Aussie
brink666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #4
eeeeeebro
Decent college freshman

eeeeeebro is considered somewhat cooleeeeeebro is considered somewhat cool

your kidding all rose has to be is better than hinrich...
eeeeeebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
Bulls2333
Just another poster

Bulls2333 has decent reputation

Everyone is mistaken. Rose will start. This guy is too much of a competitor. He'll get a feel in the summer league, and will catch on to whatever system Vinny and staff create because his work ethic is excellent.

Watch and see.
Bulls2333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:24 AM   #6
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaNt Be ToUcHeD
will we have enough cap space to re sign gordon and deng? isnt rose guaranteed 10 mill the first 2 years?
Bulls have bird rights on both guys, so they can go over the cap to re-sign Deng and Gordon. It's not a case of if they have the money, it's how much money will they be willing to give out.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Bulls_Fan20 has decent reputationBulls_Fan20 has decent reputation
Post Re: Bulls article from the Chicago Sun-Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong
Bulls have bird rights on both guys, so they can go over the cap to re-sign Deng and Gordon. It's not a case of if they have the money, it's how much money will they be willing to give out.

Yeah, and Paxson has avoided paying luxury tax like the plague. I really can't see us going over the cap to resign a player that would just dilute the playing time even more. We tried that with Noc, and now we have him for 4 more years as a backup to Deng. I guess if we let Deng go and give Noc the reigns at SF it would be OK, but I really can't see us not matching an offer for Deng.
Bulls_Fan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
bulls0704
Can barely lace up my sneakers

bulls0704 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls_Fan20
Yeah, and Paxson has avoided paying luxury tax like the plague. I really can't see us going over the cap to resign a player that would just dilute the playing time even more. We tried that with Noc, and now we have him for 4 more years as a backup to Deng. I guess if we let Deng go and give Noc the reigns at SF it would be OK, but I really can't see us not matching an offer for Deng.

Paxson has no say so whatsoever in if they go over the cap and start paying luxury tax. That is all Jerry Reinsdorf and will be until the day he sells the team if that ever happens. Reinsdorf is just as cheap with the White Sox.
bulls0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: