Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 06-27-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
Dengness9
Crazed Bulls fan

Dengness9 has an OK reputation so far
Default Beasley still possibly available according to Chad Ford Podcast

The Bulls will still IMO make a pretty major deal, after July 1st of course. If the money is right, the Bulls should really try and resign both Deng and BG but we'll see. If one or the other is too expensive, a sign and trade + Noc or Hinrich because after july 1st, their BYC comes off, for a big man like Brand. There could be another quality big available none of us even know about yet, so we gotta stay patient and wait.

I listened to a chad ford podcast today and he mentioned some pretty interesting stuff. He said that after Beasley was drafted and Riley was interviewed, he basically "slipped" and said something. He was saying that the Heat's scout team, coach, and other FO members "made" him select Beasley. Ford went on to say that it appears as if Riley still isn't sold and that Beasley could still be trade bait and at the least they are still listening to deals based on the fact their roster is nowhere near filled out. The heat did get Chalmers for PG duties, but Ford also said he won't be ready for full time duties at that position for a while most likely IF ever. So he further explained Riley still would love to get a quality veteran PG and more pieces before the end of the summer. He thinks that if the right deal comes along Riley will seriously consider moving Beasley because the Heat at this point still have Marion, and when they let him walk presumably, feel will get Boozer or Brand for sure. It was also noted other GM's believe Beasley to be available for a sweet deal since Riley doesn't have the Heat's roster filled out yet in the aspects of the starting lineup or in the depth department.

Once again speaking on my gathered info and my personal opinion i feel a couple things the Bulls need to do moving forward.

Paxson needs to make a serious run at acquiring Beasley, or atleast get a feel for how much Riley wants to keep him a member of the Heat. It's been reported on numerous occasions that Riley has inquired about Hinrich or at the very least has a lot of interest in him. If the Bulls are willing to truly "rebuild and re-tool" in the right way, I think you throw a very serious offer on the table for Pat Riley in Miami.

The best possible trade for both teams with salaries matched.

Bulls trade
PG Kirk Hinrich 10 million
SF Andres Nocioni 8 million
09' future 1st round pick ------> which I believe don't count against a team's salary cap until the players are selected with the pick.

***** IF the Heat needed another player to make the deal work, Tyrus Thomas' contract could be throw in, which is for about 3.8 million next year. Miami could then for example throw in Ricky Davis for a sign and trade contract for the minimum 3 years, but only the first year would be guaranteed.

Total Salaries 18 million in 2008-2009 season

Heat trade
Michael Beasley 3.6 million
Mark Blount 7.9 million
Marcus Banks 4.2 million
Dorrell Wright 2.4 million

Total Salaries 18.1 million in 2008-2009

Analysis for Bulls side of trade:

The Bulls instantly rebuild the franchise around two 19 year olds, which sounds crazy but isn't when you look at the promise of Derrick Rose or Michael Beasley. Both guys are basically can't miss prospects, who both do very different things, but in the end of the day will help you win ALOT and probably a championship down the road. The Bulls don't lose to much in the deal, considering all the depth they still have after this trade. You acquire 2 unwanted contracts in Banks and Blount, but both can be placed on the bench and forgotten about as far as the Bulls are concerned. Wright's contract isn't too bad and you don't have to keep him long term either especially if he doesn't crack the rotation, which would be near impossible stuck behind Deng and Beasley. Blount's contract comes off the books after 09-10 season and Banks comes off after the 10-11 season. So after this upcoming season Blount's contract becomes a pretty nice expiring contract. The Bulls don't have to save cap space for the big 2010 summer because they will have a loaded roster with two all-star/superstars in Rose and Beasley.

Bulls line-up for 2008-2009 season

PG Derrick Rose/Ben Gordon or Thabo Sefolosha
SG Ben Gordon/Larry Hughes/Thabo Sefolosha
SF Luol Deng/Michael Beasley
PF Michael Beasley*/Tyrus Thomas/Drew Gooden
C Joakim Noah/Aaron Gray

*I have all along said Beasley will be a majority of the time a SF in the NBA, but if he came to this Bulls in this deal, the Bulls would have to try and start him at PF while running a fast break, up tempo, pick and roll heavy offense under Del Negro. Beasley in that setting, setting picks can be the true inside outside threat he's supposed to be.

The Bulls have little depth in the right of a backup PG, but after year 1, Rose should be 40+ mpg anyway. Plus the bulls can pick up a cheap backup if needed. With Hinrich out of the picture, the Bulls guard rotation can much more balanced making Rose, BG, Sefolosha, and Hughes much happier.

The Bulls depth at PF is obviously overloaded but Drew Gooden is entering his final year of his contract getting 7.1 million in 08-09.

Analysis for Heat's side of trade:

The Heat acquiring an above average PG in Hinrich, who fits in more at the point with Heat playing next to Dwayne Wade. Playing with two all star players in Wade and Marion, Hinrich would likely return to his averages of 2 seasons ago, somewhere around 16 and 7 a game. Wade had previously voiced his positive opinion on playing with Hinrich on team USA. Hinrich's contract doesn't come off the book until 2012-2013, but his salary decreases yearly ending at a truly affordable 8 million a year. Moving on to Andres, Nocioni immediately is the starter at SF depending on where Marion starts, or the 6th man for the Heat giving invaluable services off the bench. Nocioni can easily put up atleast 15 and 6 playing close to 30 minutes a game. Plus Nocioni's 8 million a year contract ends after the 08-09 season. And I know the Heat remember Nocioni going for 25 and 9 in the 6 game playoff series in 06. Besides adding 2 good players to core the Heat didn't have previously, you add a 1st round pick for next year that will probably be a 10-20 pick but possibly a lottery pick depending on the Bulls success next year.

The unwanted contracts of Blount and Banks come off the books for the Heat, which will really help when it comes to freeing up space next season for Brand who will probably not opt out of 16.4 million this year unless he really wants to go to Philadelphia(I don't think so), or for Boozer who will most likely opt out of his contract for 09-10 which would pay 12.6 mil, which he is clearly worth more. So despite picking up Hinrich's contract of 10 mil this year, then 9.5, 9, and 8, you lose Blount's near 8 million contract for a player who is much much better for about the same amount but fills a huge role the Heat NEEDED filled. The center position would the only hole that needs to be filled through another trade or FA.

Miami Heat's 08-09 lineup w/out 08 FA acquisitions...

PG Kirk Hinrich/Quinn or Chalmers
SG Dwayne Wade/Chalmers or Quinn
SF Andres Nocioni/Ricky Davis?(if resigned and not traded)
PF Shawn Marion/Udonis Haslem
C Alonzo Mourning?/ FA?

The 08-09 season wouldn't be too smooth for the Heat, but much better than this past season. This trade would be a setup for greater things obviously pairing Wade with Boozer or Brand. A combo of Wade with either player is definitely a team that will compete for the East crown with Hinrich and Nocioni to bring other intangibles the heat haven't had.

Conclusion: I understand it could look really unfair with the Heat giving up a potential star in Beasley for just Hinrich, Nocioni, and a future 1st rounder, but its also addition by subtraction for the Heat ridding themselves of Blount and Banks contracts. I don't think a trade like this would be in the best interest for the Heat, unless they truly, TRULY believe the can land Boozer or Brand. But at the end of the day, my personal opinion is that Pat Riley wants to win now and have a more veteran team and a more filled out team, than that of a rebuilding team. With all the rumors still flying Riley doesn't love Beasley, and that he still really really wants a good PG to take attention and ball handling duties off Wade, anything is possible. Like i said before, if Riley needs a Tyrus Thomas thrown in, or even Drew Gooden, the salaries could still be worked out depending on a sign and trade player from the Heat most likely Ricky Davis. As far as the Heat being able to fill out the team and receiving a package of players, the Bulls are their best option and will be the rest of the summer. I expect Riley and Paxson to talk a few more times this summer like they already have been doing.

Laugh all you want, I never originally came up with a deal for Beasley going to Chicago after the draft. Ford and Katz talked about it the day before the draft on a podcast. They said that a major reason the Heat wouldn't trade the pick for a package, was because the better packages available would come after July 1st from a lot of teams namely the Chicago Bulls.

Last edited by Dengness9 : 06-28-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Dengness9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:19 AM   #2
Chitown sports
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Chitown sports has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Beasley still possibly available according to Chad Ford Podcast

Marion is a SF who has the ability, in the right scenario, to play PF. Beasley may start his career playing a lot of SF, but will eventually become a face up PF. The addition of Beasley would be great as it would finally give the Bulls a reliable inside game. Regardless, a lot more needs to be done as the Bulls are still not a playoff caliber team.

Last edited by Chitown sports : 06-28-2008 at 12:22 AM.
Chitown sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:47 AM   #3
CaNt Be ToUcHeD
High school junior varsity star

CaNt Be ToUcHeD has an OK reputation so far

idk about this, i mean it seems like a stretch, but u never kno with the nba... paxson better grow some balls if a deal is put out on the table tho...

the big question is... would u all be willing to let deng go???
CaNt Be ToUcHeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:45 AM   #4
Dengness9
Crazed Bulls fan

Cant be touched, I would let Deng go for Beasley. I love Luol, one of my favorite players in the league, but he just doesn't have what Mike does. Rose and Deng is a great duo but Rose and Beasley??? It would be like a video game.

1 reason I didn't throw Deng in the trade is because the Heat's main objective is to clear cap space for the next two summers, and if they take Hinrich and Deng, your looking at spending a lot more money than you wanted to. Deng will get no less than 9 million a year if not the 10 mil a year he turned down last summer.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:49 AM   #5
Captain Klank
I airball my layups

Captain Klank has an OK reputation so far

Damn, alot of effort put into that post but there is no way the Heat will do that. None. Beasley will be in uniform for the Heat when the season starts next year.
Captain Klank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
CaNt Be ToUcHeD
High school junior varsity star

CaNt Be ToUcHeD has an OK reputation so far

everyone seems so sure that the heat fell in love with beasley... im not at all, they have no depth in their roster, if im riley and i already have d wade and marion, i dont need another great player, i need to fill the roster with role players and some depth so that i can compete, especially with their injury proness
CaNt Be ToUcHeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:03 PM   #7
KaptnKirk12
High School Varsity 12th Man

KaptnKirk12 has an OK reputation so far

It's a good trade for both teams. Only if it was me I'd want Drew Gooden over Nocioni so Marion could play SF.

Hinrich
Wade
Marion
Gooden
ZO

I'd love that Heat team, having 4 Jayhawks.
KaptnKirk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
Dengness9
Crazed Bulls fan

The Heat's roster currently may have Wade, Beasley, and Marion but how far does that get you??? They have absolutely NOOOOO depth, and NOOOO center. They really need to fill out that roster and the Bulls could provide them with atleast 3 key players if they wanted.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
DwadeOverLebron
High School Varsity 6th Man

DwadeOverLebron has an OK reputation so far

Good Work But Realistically Chad Fords An Idiot, Miamis Much More Willing To Part With Marion Than Beasley, And With The Lineup They Have They Dont Really Need A Superstar Pg Just Someone That Can Get The Job Done Hit Open Jumpshots And Play Good Dee
DwadeOverLebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:08 AM   #10
puppychili
#3 Laker Hater

puppychili has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
The Bulls instantly rebuild the franchise around two 19 year olds

Hasn't something like this been tried once before?

Hinrich is the only player I would look to trade. It would be silly to completely blow this team up just for the sake of it.

Besides I'm very curious to see how the likes of Gordon and Deng play with Rose.
puppychili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #11
DwadeOverLebron
High School Varsity 6th Man

DwadeOverLebron has an OK reputation so far

i would love to see what gordon and rose can do also, but not for 10 mill a year, gordons not worth it, when you can get a player like maggette for 10 mill a year i would much rather have him than gordon at the same price, charlie vee seems available also and i think he would be awesome pick up, drew gooden for charlie vee and another player to match salaries
DwadeOverLebron is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: