Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-28-2008, 04:19 AM   #16
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

brandonislegend is considered somewhat coolbrandonislegend is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Is O.J. Mayo the next Ben Gordon?

eric gordon = ben gordon

oj mayo = way better. and plays lockdown D when he wants to.
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:22 AM   #17
SupermanOnSteroids
Local High School Star

SupermanOnSteroids is starting to rub some people the wrong waySupermanOnSteroids is starting to rub some people the wrong way

a shorter Paul Pierce.
SupermanOnSteroids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:13 AM   #18
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Whoever said that either didn't watch OJ Mayo play or they are remembering things the way they want to to fit their goals.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:58 AM   #19
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

OJ is a supremely talented player and far more talented than Ben Gordon. I think if OJ is willing to commit to being a pg (and it sounds as if he does) he can be an excellent scoring pg in this league, and just a good combo guard all around.

OJ is going to be a player with a lot of value, but whether he can become the mega type star he was touted coming out of HS is up to how hard he works and how smart he plays.

But I think this draft had a big 4, not just a big 2. That's OJ, and Eric Gordon who was hampered by an injury all year.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:06 AM   #20
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

I just hope OJ is as good as Steve once was. I miss the Franchise.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:10 AM   #21
Da KO King

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
I just hope OJ is as good as Steve once was. I miss the Franchise.
I don't think Mayo will be as "fun to watch" as Steve Francis was but I think he'll be just as effective if not more. Mayo has shown the ability to go to the rack or shoot the pull-up going in either direction; Francis either went right all the way to the hoop or went left and pulled up.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:28 AM   #22
mattreis62
Good High School Starter

mattreis62 has decent reputation

Didn't Mayo play pretty good D against Rose when Memphis played USC? I think he also did well against Bayless.
mattreis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:07 AM   #23
Da KO King

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreis62
Didn't Mayo play pretty good D against Rose when Memphis played USC? I think he also did well against Bayless.
He did better than pretty good. He locked both of them up and made them look average.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:33 AM   #24
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm happy Mayo ended up in Memphis, I think he can probably be a point guard in time but I think thats a lot to ask from a rookie. Seeing that the Grizz already have their point guard prospects Mayo will almost exclusively play 2 guard. Thats good for his developement.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #25
Da KO King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
I'm happy Mayo ended up in Memphis, I think he can probably be a point guard in time but I think thats a lot to ask from a rookie. Seeing that the Grizz already have their point guard prospects Mayo will almost exclusively play 2 guard. Thats good for his developement.
Actually its not because Mayo has been working out as a PG almost exclusively since leaving USC.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:37 AM   #26
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Actually its not because Mayo has been working out as a PG almost exclusively since leaving USC.

I know, and thats great but it takes more than a few months to prepare to be a NBA point guard, or at least a good one. I felt the same way about LeBron a few years back. Just because a player is a good passer doesn't mean they're ready for the responsbilities of being a full time starting PG as a rookie when they haven't started at that position prior to it.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:39 AM   #27
VCMVP1551

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board

I believe OJ when he says he can play either point guard or shooting guard. He can play either position on both ends of the court.

I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a bigger Gilbert Arenas who plays better defense or even a slightly worse Kobe Bryant type player.

Now I'm not saying he'll reach that for sure but he has the potential. He has everything you could want in a guard: ball handling, passing, defense, shooting, scoring, athleticism, size, quickness.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:44 AM   #28
Da KO King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
I know, and thats great but it takes more than a few months to prepare to be a NBA point guard, or at least a good one. I felt the same way about LeBron a few years back. Just because a player is a good passer doesn't mean they're ready for the responsbilities of being a full time starting PG as a rookie when they haven't started at that position prior to it.
I'm not arguing that he's ready to be a starting NBA PG right now. I just don't think being forced to play SG right now is best for his development.

Interviews suggest Mayo was a bit frustrated when after being "recruited" to USC to be a PG he was forced to play SG for majority of the season. He handled it well and did his job but he was disappointed none the less.

For something similar to happen again would be just as frustrating. Considering how hard rookie year can be on a guy I'd prefer for him not to have to deal with that also.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:48 AM   #29
dhenk
Why do you care?

dhenk has an OK reputation so far

I already said Larry Hughes with a jump shot, and IŽll stick to it.
dhenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #30
B-Mac
T-Mac + B-Diddy= B-Mac

B-Mac has decent reputationB-Mac has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
I'm not arguing that he's ready to be a starting NBA PG right now. I just don't think being forced to play SG right now is best for his development.

Interviews suggest Mayo was a bit frustrated when after being "recruited" to USC to be a PG he was forced to play SG for majority of the season. He handled it well and did his job but he was disappointed none the less.

For something similar to happen again would be just as frustrating. Considering how hard rookie year can be on a guy I'd prefer for him not to have to deal with that also.

Who do you think he plays more like???
B-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: