Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-28-2008, 10:55 PM   #16
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Douglas-Roberts Thought He Was a Top 20 Pick; Refused Workouts Bottom 1st Round Teams

I am beyond thrilled that the Nets got him, but CDR is a fool.

If you are projected in the bottom half of the first round, you should work out for EVERYBODY that wants you for two reasons.

1. You want to show these teams you are a team player and willing to do anything they want for their orgranization, whether its working out, interviews, etc. It shows you understand the professionalism involved with the process and shows you are a guy, regardless of talent, that they want as part of their organization. Its just common sense. A good workout can get you picked a few spots higher, which means more money in your pocket. Period.

2. The NBA is a small fraternity. You never know who might want to trade for you, sign you as FA, etc. So even just working out for other teams lets you make more connections in the NBA circle and show what a quality person you are.

Doesn't CDR have an agent? What horrible advice.....

Its amazing how "offended" these nothing prospects are that they need to work out, when the real superstars are the hard workers, like a Tim Duncan, who swallow their egos and achieve unbelievable success and praise.

At least NOW we know why he slipped so low....there had to be a reason.

Last edited by bagelred : 06-28-2008 at 10:57 PM.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:00 PM   #17
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Douglas-Roberts Thought He Was a Top 20 Pick; Refused Workouts Bottom 1st Round T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
I am beyond thrilled that the Nets got him, but CDR is a fool.

If you are projected in the bottom half of the first round, you should work out for EVERYBODY that wants you for two reasons.

1. You want to show these teams you are a team player and willing to do anything they want for their orgranization, whether its working out, interviews, etc. It shows you understand the professionalism involved with the process and shows you are a guy, regardless of talent, that they want as part of their organization. Its just common sense. A good workout can get you picked a few spots higher, which means more money in your pocket. Period.

2. The NBA is a small fraternity. You never know who might want to trade for you, sign you as FA, etc. So even just working out for other teams lets you make more connections in the NBA circle and show what a quality person you are.

Doesn't CDR have an agent? What horrible advice.....

Its amazing how "offended" these nothing prospects are that they need to work out, when the real superstars are the hard workers, like a Tim Duncan, who swallow their egos and achieve unbelievable success and praise.

At least NOW we know why he slipped so low....there had to be a reason.

Again, if he's a good player, he will have success no matter what.

As for questions of character, that should be reserved until someone can answer this question:

Did he refuse workouts, or did he just not schedule them in the first place?

I don't recall reading that from the quote the OP gave, but then I didn't read the link either.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:31 PM   #18
Rafa
Kids at the park dunk on me

Rafa has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Douglas-Roberts Thought He Was a Top 20 Pick; Refused Workouts Bottom 1st Round T

he needs a kick up the ass
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:00 AM   #19
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius

I don't recall reading that from the quote the OP gave, but then I didn't read the link either.

Mathius
from the sherrod article

But good enough to blow off working out for teams in the first round, teams that were picking around where he was supposed to be drafted?

I don't think so.

That was among the reasons why the first round came and went Thursday night, and he was still on the board.

Detroit was among the teams with first-round picks that Douglas-Roberts as well as a couple other notable second-round picks (Mario Chalmers being one of them) elected to not work out for.

They weren't the only ones.

A number of players were drafted later than expected because of their refusal to work out for certain teams.

Douglas-Roberts, whose skinny frame and ability to score in bunches is reminiscent of Richard Hamilton's game, refused to work out for the Pistons despite being considered a late first-round pick. He was under the impression that he would be gone by the time No. 29 was on the clock.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:34 AM   #20
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Again, if he's a good player, he will have success no matter what.

As for questions of character, that should be reserved until someone can answer this question:

Mathius

It was right in the post. Did you even read it, or just start yapping?
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:10 AM   #21
Mathius

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
It was right in the post. Did you even read it, or just start yapping?

Yeah, I read it before my first reply. It's not my fault your stupid thread wasn't interesting enough to have another post pop up quick enough for me to remember everything you wrote. You don't know what "I can't recall" means? Or you didn't read MY reply?

Next time I'll make sure I go back and re-read everything word for word before every post to make you happy, you stupid cock.

Mathius
Old 06-29-2008, 02:56 AM   #22
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Well it was clearly in the thread title, and brought up multiple times in the two articles. Not so hard to remember. Maybe you're just a dumbass.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:06 AM   #23
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

I didn't hear anybody here talking about him getting picked before 20 BEFORE the draft.

He was on some mock drafts later, going as late as NO Hornets.

I still feel the Cavs should taken him.

Irregardless, I don't see how he hurt himself. I don't know that an extra workout or two would have moved him up very far. There isn't a lot of money for rookie contracts anymore outside of the top 10 picks anyways.

As people said, if he's really a player, he'll be regarded as a steal, like Latrell Sprewell, Michael Redd, etc. etc. If he can't play, it won't matter.

Mathius

He hurt himself because regardless of how he doesn't get paid as well, he at least would have a guaranteed contract for the first two years of his career. I don't know about you, but I rather have a guaranteed contract than having to fight for it during training camp.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:11 AM   #24
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Well it was clearly in the thread title, and brought up multiple times in the two articles. Not so hard to remember. Maybe you're just a dumbass.

Yeah, I know what the thread title says, but the articles where you quoted them said some **** about a mystery caller on a radio show, no mention that I remember of an actual team official, and the second part was some $hit from a supposed "expert". That's what I remember. So where did it say he "refused" a workout? Because he told some friend of his he didn't think he needed to workout for them?

Like I said, I don't recall that part if its there, so f*ck off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPigto
He hurt himself because regardless of how he doesn't get paid as well, he at least would have a guaranteed contract for the first two years of his career. I don't know about you, but I rather have a guaranteed contract than having to fight for it during training camp.

At what point in the draft do you stop getting guaranteed money?

And anyways, that only helps him if he gets hurt or cut. Like I said, if he's a good player, he'll get an even bigger contract somewhere. A good player isn't going to get cut. As long as he doesn't have a career ending injury, he'll be fine if he can play. Like I said, rookie contracts aren't worth much outside the lottery. That money wouldn't have lasted long enough for him to not have to work again if he got hurt.

Mathius
Old 06-29-2008, 03:45 AM   #25
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
At what point in the draft do you stop getting guaranteed money?

2nd round.

And I don't understand ANY player not working out for ANY team. Impress in workouts, who knows who'll trade up to get you. This includes guys like Rose and Beasley. Obviously one of them was the #1 pick, but if they worked out for say the Wizards and thoroughly impressed, what's to stop them from trading (way) up? Too many potential draftees listen to agents and "advisors." If you're a potential 1st round player, you're in contact with lawyer/agents before you're even in college, these kids need to do better in regards to whom they chose to represent them. Too many players are persuaded to go where the money is, when the people who are advising them to go this route are the ones who benefit from it.

I have absolutely NO idea how it'd work, and I'm sure it'd QUICKLY be disapproved by the Player's Association, but I'd support a structure of contracts based on statistics. No negotiating, just if you meet X, Y, Z you get a certain tier of money.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #26
Celts34
Kiss my converse!!!

Celts34 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Douglas-Roberts Thought He Was a Top 20 Pick; Refused Workouts Bottom 1st Round Teams

I heard that on top of not working out for alot of the bottom 1st round team'. That in at least one of the workouts he did go to, he didn't really perform very well. The bobcats brought him and few other guys in for workouts. And I guess in a game of one on one, Kyle Weaver just worked him over defensively.
Celts34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #27
Da KO King

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
And anyways, that only helps him if he gets hurt or cut. Like I said, if he's a good player, he'll get an even bigger contract somewhere. A good player isn't going to get cut. As long as he doesn't have a career ending injury, he'll be fine if he can play. Like I said, rookie contracts aren't worth much outside the lottery. That money wouldn't have lasted long enough for him to not have to work again if he got hurt.
You're totally wrong.

Due to the roster and salary structure in the NBA there is actually a limited number of spaces available for non-guaranteed rookies. That's why the Knicks tried to get 2007 second round pick Demetrius Nichols to play overseas.

The last couple years teams have been doing their best to convince their second round picks to play overseas until roster and cap space open up.

Until the NBA figures out how to solve the limited space problems or a bunch of the guys taking up space (PJ Brown, Sam Cassell, etc.) officially retire getting drafted in the second round can be a major setback to your career.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:39 PM   #28
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Due to the roster and salary structure in the NBA there is actually a limited number of spaces available for non-guaranteed rookies. That's why the Knicks tried to get 2007 second round pick Demetrius Nichols to play overseas.

Didn't know about that one. Just when you think the CBA can't get any more retarded.

But I still don't see how that changes anything. There will always be teams out there with roster spaces, or the summer league couldn't exist.

Sometimes a change of scenery is the best thing that can happen to you... or the worst.

Understand that I'm not condoning what he did, or recommending it to anyone else, I'm just saying I don't really think it's going to hurt you in the long run if you really have basketball skills.

Mathius
Old 06-30-2008, 05:51 PM   #29
rknine15
Buckets Baby

rknine15 is considered somewhat coolrknine15 is considered somewhat coolrknine15 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Net fans are going to like Douglas-Roberts, who Thorn said the Nets tried to obtain in the first round through a draft night trade that failed (so they grabbed him at 40). CD-R admits going 40 hurt - he has no regrets about the Nets but the position stinks.

"That first day I was extremely pissed - extremely," he said. "But once I looked at the situation and once I looked at where I was picked, I looked at it in a positive way because it's a blessing to be here. I could have ended up on the Lakers, you know? Somewhere like that, where there's no playing time."

Still, got a chip on your shoulder?

"Big. Big chip. Big. That's the biggest motivation I have. Getting picked 40, I'm gonna write a book."

-- Fred Kerber -- New York Post --

thats my boy
rknine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #30
Da KO King

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Didn't know about that one. Just when you think the CBA can't get any more retarded.

But I still don't see how that changes anything. There will always be teams out there with roster spaces, or the summer league couldn't exist.

Sometimes a change of scenery is the best thing that can happen to you... or the worst.

Understand that I'm not condoning what he did, or recommending it to anyone else, I'm just saying I don't really think it's going to hurt you in the long run if you really have basketball skills.

Mathius
It won't "hurt" because you still can go overseas and have a NBA club retain your rights but if your thought process is "NBA or bust" then it can be dangerous.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: