Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-28-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board
Default Someone explain to me how Brook Lopez was a good pick at number 10?

A soft, unathletic big man with average post moves is not a great lottery pick.

He is Chris Mihm part two. Similar skillset, same size, similar athleticism ect.

Mihm was a solid player in his first 2 seasons with the Lakers at about 10 ppg and 6 or 7 rpg but not worth a lottery pick.

Lopez is so soft that he shot 46.8% against much smaller college players. He also can't deal with physical play.

From Draft Express

Quote:
Sometimes, though, he seems content to stay in the five to seven foot range, where his success drops considerably. Lopez is very formulaic in this range when he has his back to the basket, never trying to further back his man down once he has the ball, never putting the ball on the floor for more than one dribble, and almost always going right up into a right-handed hook shot or a turnaround jumper, often rushing his shot. Watching him in this area of the court, you get the idea that he knows exactly what heís going to do even before he gets the ball, regardless of how the defense is reacting to him. He shows no counter-moves or fakes in this range, and doesnít adjust to what the defense gives him. Lopez has had very little success with his hook shot from this range so far this season, and while heís done slightly better with his turnaround jumper, he still isnít converting on that consistently either. It seems as if Lopez really lacks in comfort level and confidence with his back to the basket in this five to seven foot range, and thatís something heíll need to work on moving forward.

Quote:
He also can be a bit on the soft side at times on the offensive end, shying away from contact and loafing around near the three point arc a bit more then youíd like to see.

Before I hear the argument about him averaging 19 and 8 I'll bring up Chris Mihm again.

Chris Mihm's college stats.
1999-2000
17.7 ppg, 10.5, 0.7 apg, 2.7 bpg, 52.3 FG%, 33 games

College Career
14.6 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 0.6 apg, 2.8 bpg 49.7 FG%, 96 games

Brook's college stats
2007-2008
19.3 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 1.4 apg, 2.1 bpg, 46.8 FG%, 27 games

College Career
16.0 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 1.1 apg, 1.9 bpg, 48.0 FG%, 53 games

Hell I'm not even convinced he'll be as good as Chris Mihm. He scored a little more but his FG% was much worse, he was a far worse rebounder and he didn't block as many shots.

So what's so great about getting a guy who'll be lucky to be as good as Chris Mihm at number 10?
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
Make It Rain
Banned

Make It Rain has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Someone explain to me how Brook Lopez was a good pick at number 10?

Chris Mihm was actually really good before the injuries.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
VCMVP1551

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board

10 and 6 with a block and an assist and average defense is not "really good". It's average.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
High Potential
Best poster ever

High Potential has decent reputation

It will be funny if Brook Lopez works his ass off to gain post moves like Olaujowan and we are all proven wrong, but sadly I don't think he will. To me, Brook Lopez's biggest problem is his lack of competitive fire.
High Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I would have been mad if he dropped to 16 and the sixers took him, so I know how you feel VC. I was sweatin bullets while phx was on the clock hoping they would take Robin so the sixers didn't consider him.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:24 PM   #6
rknine15
Buckets Baby

rknine15 is considered somewhat coolrknine15 is considered somewhat coolrknine15 is considered somewhat cool

Can you relax and atleast wait till he plays a hand full of games in the nba before saying he isn't a good pick. Every scout saw him as the best Center in the draft. imo the Nets got a good player plus someone to fill the hole they desperately needed to fill.
rknine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #7
Eldrunko247
Good college starter

Eldrunko247 is considered somewhat coolEldrunko247 is considered somewhat coolEldrunko247 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make It Rain
Chris Mihm was actually really good before the injuries.
umm chris was solid and showed flashes of potential at times before his injury.
Eldrunko247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:37 PM   #8
Make It Rain
Banned

Make It Rain has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
10 and 6 with a block and an assist and average defense is not "really good". It's average.
He's been injured since his 1st year. You had to have watched him play. I'm positive you just looked at his career stats and made that assumption. But he was pretty damn good. He looked like he was gonna be something. But injuries have prevented him from maximizing his potential.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknine15
Can you relax and atleast wait till he plays a hand full of games in the nba before saying he isn't a good pick. Every scout saw him as the best Center in the draft. imo the Nets got a good player plus someone to fill the hole they desperately needed to fill.
Those scouts can't be trusted. They're the same scouts that scouted every bust to come through the league. And how the HELL does one twin average 19/8, the other averages 10/5.5...and the distance between their talent is only 5 draft picks?
Old 06-28-2008, 09:49 PM   #10
VCMVP1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make It Rain
He's been injured since his 1st year. You had to have watched him play. I'm positive you just looked at his career stats and made that assumption. But he was pretty damn good. He looked like he was gonna be something. But injuries have prevented him from maximizing his potential.

I saw him play. I didn't see him that much until he got to Los Angeles because he spent most of his career in Cleveland who didn't have pretty much any games shown on national TV prior to Lebron being drafted.

He sure as hell wasn't "really good" at any point though. He was a role player.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #11
rknine15
Buckets Baby

rknine15 is considered somewhat coolrknine15 is considered somewhat coolrknine15 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Those scouts can't be trusted. They're the same scouts that scouted every bust to come through the league. And how the HELL does one twin average 19/8, the other averages 10/5.5...and the distance between their talent is only 5 draft picks?
Scouts are aware that the players could be a bust(every player could be a bust). Its a high risk high reward thing. Plus there are a lot more scouts now.

To be honest I only watched Brook play one game so I really dont know how things work in stanford. Maybe it had something to do with the minutes, maybe they were just complementing each other (one would work on scoring and the other in defense) or maybe Brook is just the better one(the one that develop quicker).
rknine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #12
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Who should they have drafted instead of Brook Lopez?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:55 PM   #13
Eldrunko247
Good college starter

Eldrunko247 is considered somewhat coolEldrunko247 is considered somewhat coolEldrunko247 is considered somewhat cool

i watched these guys play high school ball. these guys are the next O'Banan brothers.
Eldrunko247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #14
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Jerryd Bayless, Anthony Randolph, Brandon Rush were all better. Even if they don't fit a need of your team, you can always trade them for something that does. Hibbert and Speights were also better big men. I don't like Koufos that much, but I have him higher than Lopez. No way I respect a 7 footer who shot under 47% in college.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #15
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Nets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Exactly, Bayless was there but we have Marcus and Devin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Because the Suns are stupid lol
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: