Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #31
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Why wouldn't New Jersey take this deal?

I personally think Vince is staying in NEw Jersey. They need to have a star there to convince Lebron to come. Devin Harris, Vince Carter, and Yi might be enough. And Lebron's love for New York and Jay Z.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #32
ZHAKIDD532
#hellobrooklyn

ZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat cool

The Nets aren't going to intentionally give up all ability to contend with anyone...with VC and Devin Harris plus tons of young bigs, they could still make the playoffs. Without VC they have no choice...
ZHAKIDD532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #33
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHAKIDD532
The Nets aren't going to intentionally give up all ability to contend with anyone...with VC and Devin Harris plus tons of young bigs, they could still make the playoffs. Without VC they have no choice...

I thought they gave up contention after they traded Jason Kidd and they furthered that point when they traded Richard Jefferson.

Nets are rebuilding, or doing a half ass job of rebuilding. And their choice not to trade Carter, who is only going to get worst each subsequent year, will have Rod Thorn kicking his own ass for being so dumb.

But hey, maybe Rod Thorn has a better sleeve up his hand, I just don't think anyone on this board or in this league sees it.
ALBballer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:26 PM   #34
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick

ChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
I thought they gave up contention after they traded Jason Kidd and they furthered that point when they traded Richard Jefferson.

Nets are rebuilding, or doing a half ass job of rebuilding. And their choice not to trade Carter, who is only going to get worst each subsequent year, will have Rod Thorn kicking his own ass for being so dumb.

But hey, maybe Rod Thorn has a better sleeve up his hand, I just don't think anyone on this board or in this league sees it.

I'm sure Rod can get better deals than Wally Z straight up, or even a deal like this. VC will probably have huge numbers this year and maybe next, if the roster lacks a true scorer or a go to option other than VC. If he starts to slide, I think Thorn will still be able to get a good deal for VC considering his track record. Or he rides VC out, who still brings fans, money and relevancy no matter. In 2 years he could be a massive expirer instrumental in landing the key pieces to this team's winning.

The Nets need to wait until AT LEAST this year's trade deadline to consider a VC trade, unless an irresistable offer came along (which isn't likely)
ChuckOakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:22 PM   #35
shaoyut
National High School Star

shaoyut is a pretty well-respected postershaoyut is a pretty well-respected postershaoyut is a pretty well-respected postershaoyut is a pretty well-respected poster

they can make cleveland with no salary money by trading them carter and for sczerbiak
shaoyut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:11 PM   #36
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
The problem with Nets fans would be that they're minds are already now set on acquiring LeBron.

There's going to be plenty good free agents in that class they could get including D-Wade,Kobe,Melo,Bosh,Boozer,and plenty others.

New Jersey getting Carmelo would be more likely than them getting LeBron but thats just how I see it.

I agree. Nets fans are so focused on Lebron right now, they're blindsided to everything else. I mean for one thing, why is NJ clearing away players now? (RJ). There's still a few seasons left to play, no?

Why do people keep losing sight of the fact that all Lebron really wants is to win a championship, and if he can do that in Cleveland, it will make him that much happier, because its his hometown.

Why would he leave an even just ok Cleveland team, to go to a rebuilding Nets team? Lebron doesn't believe in rebuliding!

Why can't you guys get that through your heads? If NJ wants to compete in the supposed sweepstakes, then they have to not only have the room to sign Lebron, but they have to also have a team in place that he's going to see as a contender. In case the first finals appearance didn't point that out to you guys (it sure did make an impression on Lebron) Lebron can't win a title on his own.

The only advantage that NJ has in having open cap space in 2010 and not having a good team in place, is if they think they're going to sign at least 2 of those superstar free agents. And that's a HUUUGE gamble.

The last time anyone signed two monster free agents the same season was when Miami tried to do it with Mourning and Howard, and had it vetoed by the league offices.

Watch NJ end up getting blindsided and floundering because they were so focused on landing Lebron that they have no contingency plan.

Oh... btw. Unless league rules have changed and/or prohibit it. There's a pretty good chance that everything will be settled by 2009 anyways. Because if I was Ferry, I'd be handing Lebron a contract extension of some sort before 2009's season was over, same as they did last time.

I'll laugh my ass off if Lebron, Bosh, Anthony, Wade, any and everyone who is available that year all resign with their respective teams and NJ is left holding a big fat check.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #37
Mathius

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaoyut
they can make cleveland with no salary money by trading them carter and for sczerbiak

That makes zero sense. First off, Cleveland has several other expirers, Damon Jones, Eric Snow, Joe Smith, Ben Wallace, etc. Z could retire at any time now.

Second, trading us Carter very likely puts us in title contention, so we could probably get by with a trade, or a MLE to put us over the top.

I think you're trying to imply that by putting the Cavs in cap trouble, the Cavs won't be able to resign Lebron, but you're missing the point that the Cavs can go over the cap to resign him.

Mathius
Old 06-30-2008, 06:16 PM   #38
B-Mac
T-Mac + B-Diddy= B-Mac

B-Mac has decent reputationB-Mac has decent reputation

Has Carter said that he wants a trade???

because if I was him i definently would have demanded a trade
B-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:22 PM   #39
bjtrdff
Darrick Martin's Coach

bjtrdff has decent reputationbjtrdff has decent reputation

I would be shocked is NJ doesn't trade VC by the end of the summer. They're 2/3rds towards a full rebuild, and they want to clear cap space. An expiring contract, and a young guy or two is just what they need. Not to mention the fact that Rod Thorne has more or less said he just wants to get an asset or two back for VC in addition to an expiring contract.

If they're going to be awful, and they will be, they might as well go balls out, give a ton of time to all their young guys so they improved, and get a high pick for next year. In theory, if a couple of their young guys pan out, they can have a nice, young, up and coming team that could potentially attract free agents.

And even if Lebron declines, there are always plenty of free agents out there, and plenty of trade opportunities for teams with young talent and lots of cap flexibility.
bjtrdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:25 PM   #40
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick

ChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
I agree. Nets fans are so focused on Lebron right now, they're blindsided to everything else. I mean for one thing, why is NJ clearing away players now? (RJ). There's still a few seasons left to play, no?

Why do people keep losing sight of the fact that all Lebron really wants is to win a championship, and if he can do that in Cleveland, it will make him that much happier, because its his hometown.

Why would he leave an even just ok Cleveland team, to go to a rebuilding Nets team? Lebron doesn't believe in rebuliding!

Why can't you guys get that through your heads? If NJ wants to compete in the supposed sweepstakes, then they have to not only have the room to sign Lebron, but they have to also have a team in place that he's going to see as a contender. In case the first finals appearance didn't point that out to you guys (it sure did make an impression on Lebron) Lebron can't win a title on his own.

The only advantage that NJ has in having open cap space in 2010 and not having a good team in place, is if they think they're going to sign at least 2 of those superstar free agents. And that's a HUUUGE gamble.

The last time anyone signed two monster free agents the same season was when Miami tried to do it with Mourning and Howard, and had it vetoed by the league offices.

Watch NJ end up getting blindsided and floundering because they were so focused on landing Lebron that they have no contingency plan.

Oh... btw. Unless league rules have changed and/or prohibit it. There's a pretty good chance that everything will be settled by 2009 anyways. Because if I was Ferry, I'd be handing Lebron a contract extension of some sort before 2009's season was over, same as they did last time.

I'll laugh my ass off if Lebron, Bosh, Anthony, Wade, any and everyone who is available that year all resign with their respective teams and NJ is left holding a big fat check.

Mathius

You do realize, there is also the summer of 2009 to sign big time FA's, and that yes, NJ does realize you can't put your eggs in one basket.. Rod Thorn has a pretty good track record as a GM as does Kiki, but if you think you're a better GM, I suggest you put in your application now.

NJ has only the following players under contract in 2010-2011.

Devin Harris
Vince Carter
?????????? / Ryan Anderson
Yi Jianlian / Sean Williams
Brook Lopez
+
2009 #1
2 2010 #1's

They will have 3 summers of Free Agency, plenty of trading pieces and alot of cap Room. They are in a much better position than they were not too long ago.

And yes, I have no doubt that they will land a star (or two)who will be ready to be part of the 2010 Brooklyn Nets with their brand new arena, and NYC appeal.
ChuckOakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #41
LBJames2010
Local High School Star

LBJames2010 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckOakley
You do realize, there is also the summer of 2009 to sign big time FA's, and that yes, NJ does realize you can't put your eggs in one basket.. Rod Thorn has a pretty good track record as a GM as does Kiki, but if you think you're a better GM, I suggest you put in your application now.

Devin Harris
Vince Carter
Brook Lopez
+
2009 #1
2 2010 #1's

They will have 3 summers of Free Agency, plenty of trading pieces and alot of cap Room. They are in a much better position than they were not too long ago.

And yes, I have no doubt that they will land a star (or two)who will be ready to be part of the 2010 Brooklyn Nets with their brand new arena, and NYC appeal.

optimism! YES!
LBJames2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #42
mattreis62
Good High School Starter

mattreis62 has decent reputation

I think the Nets need to keep Carter. Free agnecy is no sure thing, what if all of the top player re-sign with their teams? Carter's deal will have a lot of value when it's in its final year or two. They might need his high salary to trade for another star. Plus people still pay to watch him play, so he'll keep attendance up during the rebuilding process.
mattreis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #43
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckOakley

Devin Harris
Vince Carter
Brook Lopez
+
2009 #1
2 2010 #1's

Whether or not Rod Thorn knows what he's doing is irrelevant. The posters on this board, clearly do not.

You know, Cleveland can potentially clear almost as much room as the Nets, perhaps more if Z were to retire. I would laugh hysterically at all the "Lebrons going to Brooklyn" and "Lebrons going to New York" posters if Cleveland ended up signing a big free agent, i.e. bosh or wade, and then resigned Lebron on top of it.

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius : 06-30-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:15 PM   #44
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Nets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Whether or not Rod Thorn knows what he's doing is irrelevant. The posters on this board, clearly do not.

You know, Cleveland can potentially clear almost as much room as the Nets, perhaps more if Z were to retire. I would laugh hysterically at all the "Lebrons going to Brooklyn" and "Lebrons going to New York" posters if Cleveland ended up signing a big free agent, i.e. bosh or wade, and then resigned Lebron on top of it.

Mathius

Mathius
Kiki has said this Al Ianzonne has said this they are looking for a big time free agent not just lebron but they can choose from Melo, Wade, Amare, Kobe... there are many more than just Lebron so congrats if you resign him but beware of Jay-z...
Personally I think that no doubt Lebron will come NJ. It is a big Market, a part owner is his friend, We have Young players that hopefully are devolped by then... And during the MLB playoffs last year was it only me or was he rooting for the Yankees and wearing a yankees hat?
Nets fan 93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #45
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
Kiki has said this Al Ianzonne has said this they are looking for a big time free agent not just lebron but they can choose from Melo, Wade, Amare, Kobe... there are many more than just Lebron so congrats if you resign him but beware of Jay-z...
Personally I think that no doubt Lebron will come NJ. It is a big Market, a part owner is his friend, We have Young players that hopefully are devolped by then... And during the MLB playoffs last year was it only me or was he rooting for the Yankees and wearing a yankees hat?
Yes he was wearing a Yankees hat, he's been wearing Yankees apparel since he entered the league. Lebron likes the Yankees because they don't believe in rebuilding. He doesn't believe in rebuilding. Lebron wants to win a championship, period. If he can do it in his hometown, all the better. Big market is not part of the equation. It hasn't helped New York all these years. And because he's friends with Jay Z? I got news for you, Lebron has claimed several best friends over the years, including Darius Miles. Being friends with a part owner isn't going to get him a championship.

Mathius
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: