Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-29-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
Interminator
Banned

Default Are these drafts better than the old drafts?

I'm talking about the drafts featuring guys from the new 1 & Done era from 2006-present.

Is there a better chance that these drafts have more depth in terms of players who are going to be good than the drafts from past years.

You can't tell me that Donte Greene at #28 doesn't have a better chance to be better than Dave Johnson who went #26 in 1992.

I somewhat think these players are better prospects than those in the past who mostly spent 3 & 4 years in college before coming to the NBA because although college would help some players develop their maturity and try to find their fit it does help that now that they're in the NBA at an early age that they can adapt to the NBA game earlier and work with top of the line personal coaches who can teach them their position in a 1 on 1 coaching session rather than having to work with the entire group of big men.

Anyways I think there will be less busts now with this format than in years past.

I think the fact a lot of these guys are so young will help them in the long term because they will be able to find their fit sooner and be valued due to their youth which can keep them on a NBA roster.

Hopefully teams will begin to utilize the NBDL better for their draft picks.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Are these drafts better than the old drafts?

I think that adding the 1 year rule helps it out a lot. Thats one more year of development and seeing the young players play against a higher level of competition than high school ballers. That helps teams get a better idea of how a player will turn out. Had Kwame gone to college for a year, I would bet money he wouldn't have been close to the #1 pick.

I personally support making it a 2 years out of high school rule.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

Yeah, the rule needs to be 2 years. Dickie V actually made a good point when he was talking about that.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
Yeah, the rule needs to be 2 years. Dickie V actually made a good point when he was talking about that.
what did he say?
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #5
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

It's not better just different. Any time there is a significant change made there is an adjustment period. Right now is the adjustment period for the one year wait.

Soon enough GM's will get used to it and will no longer over-rate a player simply because he's a freshman.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: