Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #31
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Why is Sergio Rodriguez not get more minutes???

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Miami should make a move for the guy. We need a point guard bad, and we will most likely be playing a fast pace running type game, and he would be a perfect fit. He's a similar player to Calderon without the jumpshot. I think Miami should make a move for him and also try to aquire Frye through the trade.
Mario Chalmers?

I don't see how much better Sergio would be over Marcus Banks.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #32
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

should get more time with jack gone, him and blake should get 20 minutes each a game, with bayless possibly playing a little at PG (or roy it doesnt really matter as portland have got such a great little roster right now)
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:25 AM   #33
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

Yeah Sergio seems like an exciting passer,etc like a Jason Williams in Sacramento and maybe Sergio like Jason Williams can improve his offensive skill set outside of flashy passing over the coming years since he's only 22.

Sergio to Minnesota?
Old 06-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #34
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthomasb
should get more time with jack gone, him and blake should get 20 minutes each a game, with bayless possibly playing a little at PG (or roy it doesnt really matter as portland have got such a great little roster right now)
Have you missed the previous comments or are you just late.

PG Depth Chart:
PG Blake
PG Bayless
SG Roy
SG Rudy
PG Sergio

The 3rd string PG is Brandon Roy and if they ever have to go to a 4th string it would be Rudy.Do you think Portland would waste its time trading for Jerryd Bayless just to play him behind 2 PG's?
Old 06-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #35
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I like the kid. He seems to have a little talent and has a tendency to get the crowd into the game with his handles and flash. I'd love have him as the point guard of the future for my team, but I admit he's still a bit of a prospect now. Too bad he won't get the PT needed to grow in Portland.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #36
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

One of the big problems currently is that the prospects that turn into something have good work ethic. Sergio complains and avoids doing what he needs to do to improve. He was told he needs to work on his defense and jumpshot this offseason. Then he was quoted for saying he'd rather hang out and play pickup basketball with his non-NBA buddies because its more fun. Now the Blazers want him to go to the summer league, but he doesn't want to do that either. I really don't think he is going to make it. But, even if he does do a mental 180, his peak is still going to be Jason Williams but worse at shooting.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #37
plowking
well DENG

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
Mario Chalmers?

I don't see how much better Sergio would be over Marcus Banks.

True, though PG is still high on our list of things we need, and Chalmers isn't going to be a starter from day 1. At least I don't think he will be.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:04 AM   #38
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool

I hate when people say he doesn't get enough minutes and these are people who don't watch Blazer games, just look at stats!

At the start of last season Nate McMillian tried to give Sergio about 20 minutes a game but he couldn't because whenever Sergio came into the game he'd make the dumbest mistakes, play the worst defense, look uninterested, shoot bad shots and turn the ball over. All people see when he gets minutes is OMG 11 ASSISTS IN 20 MINUTES?! HE'S A GOD! They don't see the 5-6 turnovers that go with it. He's all about the flash and SportsCenter highlight more than the victory. If you want him, then come get him. I was a supporter for this guy at the start of last season and debated Myth about him but he has been lost in my graces just as Martell Webster and LaMarcus Aldridge are starting to be.

But hey, he's the next Steve Nash right?
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:16 AM   #39
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
One of the big problems currently is that the prospects that turn into something have good work ethic. Sergio complains and avoids doing what he needs to do to improve. He was told he needs to work on his defense and jumpshot this offseason. Then he was quoted for saying he'd rather hang out and play pickup basketball with his non-NBA buddies because its more fun. Now the Blazers want him to go to the summer league, but he doesn't want to do that either. I really don't think he is going to make it. But, even if he does do a mental 180, his peak is still going to be Jason Williams but worse at shooting.

Hadn't heard about all this, it would be hard for me to support a player on my team that had this approach to the game too. Is he at least playing for his country this summer?
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #40
plowking
well DENG

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersDozen
I hate when people say he doesn't get enough minutes and these are people who don't watch Blazer games, just look at stats!

At the start of last season Nate McMillian tried to give Sergio about 20 minutes a game but he couldn't because whenever Sergio came into the game he'd make the dumbest mistakes, play the worst defense, look uninterested, shoot bad shots and turn the ball over. All people see when he gets minutes is OMG 11 ASSISTS IN 20 MINUTES?! HE'S A GOD! They don't see the 5-6 turnovers that go with it. He's all about the flash and SportsCenter highlight more than the victory. If you want him, then come get him. I was a supporter for this guy at the start of last season and debated Myth about him but he has been lost in my graces just as Martell Webster and LaMarcus Aldridge are starting to be.

But hey, he's the next Steve Nash right?

LaMarcus Aldridge? Send him along as well to the Heat. All the guy needs is a bit of muscle and he'll be alright on the boards. He gets good position on both offense and defense, though really only needs to improve on toughness and get in the right mind state.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:30 AM   #41
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool

I'm not saying trade LaMarcus, I was just saying that he's falling out of my graces because last season he was extremely soft and played very unlike his rookie year where he pounded down low for his points.

Martell Webster just annoys the holy Hell out of me. He's been in the league for three years and has been inconsistant every year but somehow this guy gets everybody to have his back when it comes to trading him. I also hate the excuse "He's only 21" It doesn't matter, he's been in the league for three years so to me he's 3 years old. Go look at what guys choosen AFTER him in that draft class are doing in their third year comapared to Martell. I guess Martell is the perfect display of reasoning David Stern could use as to why players should first attend college, I mean, isn't that the reason why players drafted out of college tend to be more successful than the ones who wern't?
Old 06-30-2008, 11:31 AM   #42
ecthelion
Local High School Star

ecthelion has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
word.

In his rookie season J-Will was definitely more productive than Sergio. J-Will CAN score, but I'm not too sure about Serge.

J-Will on Serge : "He's a solid player, does his job".. If you call turning it over a job
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:07 PM   #43
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersDozen
I'm not saying trade LaMarcus, I was just saying that he's falling out of my graces because last season he was extremely soft and played very unlike his rookie year where he pounded down low for his points.

Martell Webster just annoys the holy Hell out of me. He's been in the league for three years and has been inconsistant every year but somehow this guy gets everybody to have his back when it comes to trading him. I also hate the excuse "He's only 21" It doesn't matter, he's been in the league for three years so to me he's 3 years old. Go look at what guys choosen AFTER him in that draft class are doing in their third year comapared to Martell. I guess Martell is the perfect display of reasoning David Stern could use as to why players should first attend college, I mean, isn't that the reason why players drafted out of college tend to be more successful than the ones who wern't?

Glad to see you came to terms about Sergio :)

I do disagree with you on Aldridge and Webster though. They have not struggled nearly to the extent that Sergio had and unlike Sergio, they have each improved each year. Webster did pretty good. Even when he was off shooting wise, he made up for it in other ways. I swear his worse shooting nights were when he would go out and grab 7-8 rebounds and have 2 steals. Webster seems to be ahead of where Outlaw was at this point in his career, and I think thats an important thing to keep in mind. Though, I do think if we are to trade for an all-star level SF, Webster should go rather than Outlaw. As for LaMarcus, I thought he got tougher from year 1 to year 2. All I remember from his rookie year was him doing that top of the key shot off Sergio's pick and roll (that was when they were in the same rotation). Aldridge went down low more often in year 2, mainly because it was more necessary. Maybe it stood out that we were soft down low though because he wasn't the same on the boards as Randolph was. Year 1 he was given a free pass to stay out of the key. Year 2 he was expected to, but I think he did work on it and improve.

Last edited by Myth : 06-30-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #44
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

All I remember from year one was Aldridge grabbing offensive boards admist Kevin Garnett and other star PFs and putting them back up while getting hacked. I also remember the top of the key jumpers. What I remember from last season was 15-17 foot jumpers with a wide open lane to the basket. Maybe he will notice it when he gains more experience and take advantage and become a 7-10 FT a night power forward. I do agree that Webster does make up for it on nights but we need his shooting especially since James Jones has walked on out of Portland. This year, more than ever, we need Martell to be the consistant shooter that he is supposed to become. Webster is probably progressing better than Outlaw did because Webster played D-League instead of warming the bench then got 20+ minutes in every year afterwards while Outlaws minutes have gone from something like 3 to 5 to 13 to 20something this last season.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:44 PM   #45
Myth

Webster only played 8 D-league games, so I don't think that is the difference. But yeah, Webster did get more minutes than Outlaw. Though one could argue that he earned more minutes than Outlaw did at that age.

Last edited by Myth : 06-30-2008 at 09:46 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: