Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-30-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

Default Maggette to Orlando?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...,3269777.story

Quote:
Los Angeles Clippers guard Corey Maggette told friends over the weekend that he was encouraging the Orlando Magic to make a competitive offer in free agency, allowing him to return to the team where he started his NBA career nine years ago.

Anyone here who thinks Maggette is a good fit? I don't see how. Turk, Lewis and Maggette?
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

Default Re: Maggette to Orlando?

I think he could fit in well in Orlando. They defintely need a 2 guard and Maggs can play that position. He has a little range on his jumper to they could continue spacing the floor, and he can also get to the basket with his athleticism and play solid defense. Not sure if he'll take the MLE to go there though, so they probably will have to put together some kind of package to get the Clips to sign and trade him.
2LeTTeRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:17 AM   #3
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
I think he could fit in well in Orlando. They defintely need a 2 guard and Maggs can play that position. He has a little range on his jumper to they could continue spacing the floor, and he can also get to the basket with his athleticism and play solid defense. Not sure if he'll take the MLE to go there though, so they probably will have to put together some kind of package to get the Clips to sign and trade him.

Sadly Orlando doesn't have anything to entice anyone because a portion of their players' contracts have expired.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
Sadly Orlando doesn't have anything to entice anyone because a portion of their players' contracts have expired.

You think the Clips would be interested in Nelson/Reddick? They definitely need a point guard, and even though this deal would leave a hole for Orlando at the point as well they might be able to fill that void in free agency (maybe Udrih or something?).
Old 06-30-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
You think the Clips would be interested in Nelson/Reddick? They definitely need a point guard, and even though this deal would leave a hole for Orlando at the point as well they might be able to fill that void in free agency (maybe Udrih or something?).
I doubt LA would want Redick and there isn't much to speak about still on their roster now but if they're high on Nelson then they probably would take it if a future pick was involved.

You also got to take into account that by signing Maggette they'll pretty much lose the chance to re-sign Hedo when he becomes a Free Agent at the end of this season.

Edit:Hedo has a $7 Million player option for 2009/2010 but seriously why would he take it?
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
qrich
King Heno

Quote:

Maggette isn't a 2guard or else we'd keep him ourselves. He's another SF, where you have Hedo and Lewis, plus, Maggette won't agree to come off the bench, and neither would those two, so you'd have one at PF and another at SG.

As far as Nelson/Reddick for him, I'd do it, but swap Reddick with Bogans
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #7
Mr_Basketball#1
McCants is Available!!

Maggette can be a bit of a ball hog at times. I'm not sure if this would work. It looks great on paper though.

Nelson
Maggette
Turk
Lewis
Howard

I wonder will they start Battie
Mr_Basketball#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Basketball#1
Maggette can be a bit of a ball hog at times. I'm not sure if this would work. It looks great on paper though.

Nelson
Maggette
Turk
Lewis
Howard

I wonder will they start Battie

Nope, Battie is going to come off the bench. Who would you bench in the lineup? Possibly maggete but that is the best possible starting 5 for them. Unless they are trying to matchup with certain teams then I cant see them benching any of theose guys
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
starface
Banned

lol @ the idea of Orlando starting 3 small forwards.

THe magic need post offense, IMO they will never be true contenders with Shard at the 4 because they have no interior scoring. Dwight is not a real offensive threat in the post and Shard led the league in 3 pt field goal attempts as a power forward!

It's too hard for them to create easy baskets, they need a power forward with a good post game, and then let Shard play the 3 and push Hedo out to the 2.

Sure, Maggette CAN play the 2, but he, Hedo, and Shard are all pretty much slashers best suited to play small forward, it's too much of a one dimensional offense as it is, with all 3 of them it would be madness, it would only make them better on paper not necessarily more effective on the court. THey're best off finding a power forward, but if they cant, then their next best bet is to find a pure shooter to play the 2 rather than Maggette who can shoot, but tends to be more ball dominant.
starface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #10
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

Quote:
Originally Posted by starface

THe magic need post offense, IMO they will never be true contenders with Shard at the 4 because they have no interior scoring. Dwight is not a real offensive threat in the post and Shard led the league in 3 pt field goal attempts as a power forward!

The Magic don't need post offense, because Dwight Howard is enough of a post presence that they don't have to worry about post anything. What they need really is perimeter defense, and Maggette is underrated in that category. If he comes back, the Magic would be unstoppable on offense, but of course their D needs some work. Still, as I said before, Corey is an underrated defender and definitely will not hurt the Magic's hopes of improving D.
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:29 PM   #11
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

Quote:

I guess. Even though all 3 have spent most of their games as small forwards, they all have very different games and I though woudl work well off each other. 2 of them are oversized 3s so they can spend a little time at the 4, while the other is a swingman.

Quote:

I don't think they can really have a 4 who plays in the paint beside Dwight. Rashard would be a perfect fit on this team, if he played better defense. I think Orlando is on the right path to building a winner around their big man.

Quote:
It's too hard for them to create easy baskets, they need a power forward with a good post game, and then let Shard play the 3 and push Hedo out to the 2.

Sure, Maggette CAN play the 2, but he, Hedo, and Shard are all pretty much slashers best suited to play small forward, it's too much of a one dimensional offense as it is, with all 3 of them it would be madness, it would only make them better on paper not necessarily more effective on the court. THey're best off finding a power forward, but if they cant, then their next best bet is to find a pure shooter to play the 2 rather than Maggette who can shoot, but tends to be more ball dominant.

I disagree. They need a 4 to bring off the bench, but that team as you listed it would be horrible on D. Hedo woudl get destroyed on a nightly basis by 2 guards, and that other big guy in the paint would make doubling Dwight even easier and kill the spacing they have. It seems like the 94-95 Rockets are the blueprint their using to build their team and there on the right track with Hedo and Shard playing the role of Horry and Thorpe.

Last edited by 2LeTTeRS : 06-30-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #12
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick

VC would be a better fit than Magette IMO, if for no other reason, he does have a good post game, which would come in handy while one defensive big is out gaurding Rashard and the other worrying about Dwight. He's also a good 3point shooter, playmaker and one of the best rebounding SGs in the game.
ChuckOakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
VC would be a better fit than Magette IMO

Orlando would be giving up 130 points a game if that were to happen.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #14
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

I always say that the best way to improve a playoff team is to look into the series they lost.

Against Detroit, I believe they lost because they couldn't get easy baskets and had to resort to stops to keep the game close. If they do get stops, sometimes they don't get the rebounds.

Magette solves both of these. A primary slasher who can get to the FT line (always at the top of the league in FTA) and is an underrated rebounder. It also balances out the team more as the best perimeter defender of the other team would now have to guard magette instead of Lewis. Leaving Hedo to feast on PFs.

Also, with their investment in Lewis, Magette would be the closest thing they could have in improving this team w/o trading for Lewis or Hedo.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:47 PM   #15
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by loot
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...,3269777.story

Anyone here who thinks Maggette is a good fit? I don't see how. Turk, Lewis and Maggette?
Maggette could play the 2, Nelson is already undersized..
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: