Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 06-28-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here
Default FIBA changes international rules...

Many of you have heard about this change a while back, but this is for people who don't know in the wake of Team USA selections.

Quote:
The FIBA Central Board, the executive and administrative arm of the international basketball governing body, has implemented significant rules changes that bring international competitions more in line with the NBA. The major changes will go into effect after the 2010 world championships, but there are other changes coming in for 2008 after the Olympics.

Among these changes is a mandate that players can't wear tee shirts under their jersey, which puts it in contrast with the NCAA; a declaration that it is goaltending/basket interference if a player touches the ball while reaching through the basket; excessive elbow-swinging now results in a technical foul; and inhibiting a fast break from behind is now a flagrant/unsportsmanlike foul. Also, if a player slips and loses control of the ball, it is not traveling.

However, the biggest rule changes, the ones for 2010, have the potential to revolutionise the international game, including:

-The introduction of the rectangular lane.

-The introduction of the block/charge arc under the basket, where any foul called in that area is automatically a blocking foul.

-The move of the three-point line from 6.25 m (roughly 20 feet, six inches) to 6.75 m (roughly 22 feet, two inches)

-If a call results in a reset of the shot clock, they will only reset it to 14 seconds if it is under 14 seconds.

These changes reflect the growing influence of the NBA in the international basketball landscape. They also can explain why the NCAA men's basketball rules committee adopted 20 feet, 9 inches as the new three-point line for next year as opposed to the international line. Perhaps the NCAA new something about what FIBA was going to do.

Basketball officials say that the rule changes represent a convergence of all actors of the global game. Specifically, Val Ackerman, the president of USA Basketball, told USA TODAY that it symbolises the concept of "one world, one game." She did not elaborate as to who controlled the direction of the change, but the word around the blogosphere is that David Stern has been in the ears of Patrick Baumann, the FIBA general secretary, and others on the Central Board. Of course, it is only word around the blogosphere.

Those who are directly involved with the US national team believe that these changes will benefit them. Jim Boeheim, an assistant to Coach K, says that the narrower lane near the basket will allow the US team to take advantage of more post play.

So what do you guys think? Convergence is good, but should it be towards the NBA rules? Is this really a plot by the NBA to gain further influence outside North America? Will the style of play in Europe and elsewhere disappear?

The link is the press release from FIBA outlining the changes. The comments attached to it are interesting. Also, there are a number of other sites to visit, including the USA TODAY article with the quotes. This article also has a helpful comparison:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...-changes_N.htm

Here is a report on the changes as they were enacted (unfortunately, I can't find anything aside from Chinese state news):

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20...nt_8057157.htm

And here is the blogosphere:

http://www.ballineurope.com/basketba...iba-hello-nba/

http://www.ballineurope.com/basketba...-are-changing/

Link

I find this disturbing for a few reasons:

First off, it seems like Stern wants the international game to be like the NBA because Team USA can't win. He has also stated his future plans of bringing the NBA to Europe, so this is another step in that process.

Second, the fact he can influence the international game like this is offsetting, especially in the wake of allegations that games were fixed in his league. How much power and unchecked autonomy does he have?

Third, and in my opinion the most important, it's an inferior game. Adding the restricted zone under the basket means that offensive players who penetrate can just create contact themselves and get the foul. That's not good basketball. A defender should be allowed on the floor, and shouldn't be subject to an illegal area.

This hurts the game, and the only reason is that Stern eventually wants the NBA in Europe and wants Team USA to win. The very fact that team usa isn't winning shows how superior the game is. The better, smarter, more skilled teams win, and you can't just rely on athleticism and refs to win like in the NBA.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
nicknamefrank
Serious playground baller

nicknamefrank has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: FIBA changes international rules...

I dont think it will benefit the team USA much until they introduce to no-call for travelling violations for LBJ
nicknamefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
Hammertime
Our Enes is bigger

Hammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by gencbiba
Great changes... Now it's going to become more of a man's sport.

Yes, because testicles make one superior to the other half of world's population.
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Yes, because the game now has many more opportunities for foul calls and flopping with the restricted zone. More fouls + more flopping = more manly.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
Hammertime
Our Enes is bigger

Hammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this boardHammertime is popular on this board

Quote:
Well do you watch the WNBA? I'm sure that just hit you in the face worst than your wife's whip you damn sadistic Utah resident.

Where does it say I live in Utah? ****, can anyone in the US actually read or has the education system done away with that?
Old 06-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
Loki
Banned

Loki is considered somewhat coolLoki is considered somewhat cool

These changes take place AFTER the 2008 Olympics, though, the article says. I agree with Showtime's hypotheses on why these rule changes are being instituted -- I have long said that one of the reasons the NBA allowed zone defense is to make it more like European ball for the eventual Euro NBA expansion. The allowance of more flopping -- incredibly prevalent in Europe -- is another way Stern has tried to make the game more like Euro ball.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #8
Hammertime
Our Enes is bigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
These changes take place AFTER the 2008 Olympics, though, the article says. I agree with Showtime's hypotheses on why these rule changes are being instituted -- I have long said that one of the reasons the NBA allowed zone defense is to make it more like European ball for the eventual Euro NBA expansion. The allowance of more flopping -- incredibly prevalent in Europe -- is another way Stern has tried to make the game more like Euro ball.

Well, it's kind of an obvious thing that the NBA should eventually change all their rules to match FIBA and not the other way around.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #9
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Horrible call...Charge circle is ruining basketball and it will soon ruin the international game...What a crock of bull.

Can someone please explain to me the reasoning behind this rule...I guess NCAA basketball is the only true bball left
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:11 PM   #10
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
Horrible call...Charge circle is ruining basketball and it will soon ruin the international game...What a crock of bull.

Can someone please explain to me the reasoning behind this rule...I guess NCAA basketball is the only true bball left
It prevents injuries. Cats were dropping like flies because guys were taking charges up under the rim. The players are too valuable to risk that.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #11
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
It prevents injuries. Cats were dropping like flies because guys were taking charges up under the rim. The players are too valuable to risk that.

I never see career ending injuries on charging plays... I do see careers hurt because they try to exploit the charge circle(D-Wade)..I do see the mid range game deteriorating because of the charge circle..

These rule changing are gonna make it harder for me to ever believe any guard will ever be better then Jordan. With the damn charge circle its like a get out of jail free card...

FIBA is ball the way it should be played and now they are reducing the game to the jungle ball that most teams play in the NBA. Way to get rid of the one of the last outlets to watch bball the way it was supposed to be played.

With these new rules USA will dominate...So after this year no other team will ever have a chance again. So the world better take advantage this summer..

Last edited by Younggrease : 06-28-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:16 PM   #12
Dasher

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
I never see career ending injuries on charging plays... I do see careers hurt because they try to exploit the charge circle(D-Wade)..I do see the mid range game deteriorating because of the charge circle..

These rule changing are gonna make it harder for me to ever believe any guard will ever be better then Jordan. With the damn charge circle its like a get out of jail free card...
Before the rule change there was a lot of injuries. Guys were taking charges under the rim. The circle prevents flopping.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #13
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Before the rule change there was a lot of injuries. Guys were taking charges under the rim. The circle prevents flopping.

How the hell is taking a charge flopping. Try playing for a real coach. Taking a charge is one of the most valuable plays in bball. But having a space on the floor where the defender no matter how in position or how long he is there cannot own the spot is wrong.

And please tell me how all the other generations did just fine without a charge circle. Is this generation full of *******. I also find it funny you complain about flopping but the circle creates more flopping then any other rule in the league.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:23 PM   #14
Dasher

Taking charges under the rim is dangerous, and that was what was happening. When charges are taken too close to the rim, players are defenseless and they were basically being undercut. Players are worth too much to risk that.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:23 PM   #15
Trax416
Great young streetballer

Trax416 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

There is more flopping in the NBA now then the Premier league in soccer.

If you notice the rule changes, International basketball is actually a mans game.

In the NBA if a player puts three fingers on a guy like Wade or James they go flying 25 feet and act like they just died.
Trax416 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: