Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
1987_Lakers
NBA All-star

1987_Lakers is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1987_Lakers is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1987_Lakers is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1987_Lakers is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1987_Lakers is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1987_Lakers is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1987_Lakers is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1987_Lakers is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1987_Lakers is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Michael Jordan's Greatest NBA Finals (Second 3 Peat)

I already made a thread about his NBA FInals performances from the First 3 peat but how about the 2nd 3 peat?? Which was his best Finals?

1996 - 6 Games... 27.3 PPG .... 5.3 RPG ... 4.2 APG ... 41.5 FG% ... 84 FT%... 23.1 PER

1997 - 6 Games... 32.3 PPG .... 7.0 RPG ... 6.0 APG ... 45.6 FG% ... 76 FT%... 29.5 PER

1998 - 6 games... 33.5 PPG .... 4.0 RPG ... 2.3 APG ... 42.7 FG% ... 81% FT%... 30.8 PER
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Michael Jordan's Greatest NBA Finals (Second 3 Peat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
I already made a thread about his NBA FInals performances from the First 3 peat but how about the 2nd 3 peat?? Which was his best Finals?

1996 - 6 Games... 27.3 PPG .... 5.3 RPG ... 4.2 APG ... 41.5 FG% ... 84 FT%... 23.1 PER

1997 - 6 Games... 32.3 PPG .... 7.0 RPG ... 6.0 APG ... 45.6 FG% ... 76 FT%... 29.5 PER

1998 - 6 games... 33.5 PPG .... 4.0 RPG ... 2.3 APG ... 42.7 FG% ... 81% FT%... 30.8 PER

his numbers were better in the first 3 championship because he was so fast and strong

but his 96 finals he really didnt have to do much since they were so much better than the sonics his 97 and 98 to me personally were his best ones i dont care what the stats says he was just clutch in 97 hitting the game 1 game winner at the buzzzer and game 5with the flu game and 98 we all know that shot of the ages game 6 crossover pull up over bryon russell
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
LakersNewDynast
Can barely lace up my sneakers

LakersNewDynast has an OK reputation so far

Game 6 game winner buzzer beater > all
LakersNewDynast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #4
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersNewDynast
Game 6 game winner buzzer beater > all
it wasnt a buzzer beater.

but it was the game winning shot. which is just as good.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
LakersNewDynast
Can barely lace up my sneakers

LakersNewDynast has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa
it wasnt a buzzer beater.

but it was the game winning shot. which is just as good.

k whatever nerd **** happened over 10 years ago get over it...kobe > jordan anyway
LakersNewDynast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:28 PM   #6
Loki
Banned

Loki is considered somewhat coolLoki is considered somewhat cool

'97 > '98 >> '96

It should be noted that as poorly as Jordan played by his standards in '96 (and there are various reasons for that which I won't delve into), he still shot the ball as well or better than his second-fourth options (Pippen shot 34%, Kerr 30%, Kukoc 42%, Harper 37%) despite seeing double teams and hard traps all series and putting up a much higher ppg volume than his teammates.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:16 PM   #7
Make It Rain
Banned

Make It Rain has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersNewDynast
k whatever nerd **** happened over 10 years ago get over it...kobe > jordan anyway
Sounds like those damn asians from California.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #8
IllegalD
Local High School Star

IllegalD has a bad reputationIllegalD has a bad reputationIllegalD has a bad reputationIllegalD has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
'97 > '98 >> '96

It should be noted that as poorly as Jordan played by his standards in '96 (and there are various reasons for that which I won't delve into), he still shot the ball as well or better than his second-fourth options (Pippen shot 34%, Kerr 30%, Kukoc 42%, Harper 37%) despite seeing double teams and hard traps all series and putting up a much higher ppg volume than his teammates.

Please, enlighten us...

IllegalD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:49 AM   #9
Loki
Banned

Loki is considered somewhat coolLoki is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllegalD
Please, enlighten us...

Well, the entire team was just OFF the entire series, bricking wide open shots (see shooting %'s above). This allowed Seattle to continue focusing their entire defensive effort on Jordan, since nobody was making them pay for doing so. As I noted, Jordan's second through fourth options shot as poorly or worse than he did despite seeing a fraction of the defensive pressure he did, and despite averaging far lower ppg.

Jordan was just off too. If you actually watch the series (rather than just looking at the stats), you'll see Jordan missing 2-4 shots each game that he usually makes. I'm talking about wide open layups, offensive putbacks, and open baseline 16-footers that he literally never missed. He was still getting the shots he wanted (i.e., good looks) and was still playing his game...he just bricked them for whatever reasons. And it wasn't fatigue, either, since he would miss them in the first quarter/haf as often as the second half or 4th quarter. I can't explain it, really. Maybe the memory of his dad was overwhelming him mentally given the proximity to Father's Day.

And yes, Seattle's defense (Payton in particular) should get credit. But if you watch the series, you'll see that the above (about him missing numerous open shots) is true. Jordan wouldn't have shot 50% that series imo, but he would have been around 45-46% at least. I can't give the defense too much credit when I see him missing layups, tip-ins, and open midrange J's all series long (when MJ hits the side of the backboard on a baseline J as he did in one game, you know something's up :oldlol ).

In light of Kobe's recent Finals, a lot of Kobe fans have been comparing his series to this series by Jordan, but if you actually watch the series, they were nothing alike. Jordan was actually getting the shots he wanted; he worked to get good looks and got them...and then missed. Kobe never got good looks, and he never worked or made the proper decisions to get them. The series are also dissimilar for other reasons (e.g., MJ never disappeared for 2-3 quarters at a time as Kobe did many games), but that's neither here nor there. Not bashing, just figured I'd throw that in since it's been brought up a lot recently by Kobe fans.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: