Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-30-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Sonic Countdown: Wednesday is D-Day

judge marsha pechman will render a judgement on wednesday regarding the sonics and the remaining two year lease at the key arena in seattle.

art thiel, my favorite local beat writer/commentator has a good summary (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/thiel/368682_thiel27.html) and one interesting conclusion:

The NBA's failure to manage its appetite has chewed up an arena in less than 15 years while swallowing whole one of its larger and more successful markets. The reputations of some prominent people in Seattle and Oklahoma City are not the only ones worthy of implosion.

his question was, "why didnt the nba and david stern have any responsibility in this debacle?"

i hope that we can continue to get the ish-er's comments regarding the sonics and the city of seattle

what do you think?
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Sonic Countdown: Wednesday is D-Day

tomorrow at 4:00pm the judgement will be posted

is the city in trouble from the judge's perspective?

here is a snippet:

a lively debate over the role of "sentimentality," given the city wants to strictly enforce the lease, but also is arguing the fans' love for the team is part of the package. "Can a corporate entity have sentiment?" Pechman wondered. "I understand that the fans do. We have spent a lot of time and the fans obviously feel they have a stake in this. But in fact, the fans aren't parties to the lease. And I don't think you're going to find anything in there about the fans. So if you want me to stick to the lease, is that really something that I should be looking at? I don't know that there is such a thing as corporate tears."

the full article is:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basket...4_trial01.html
Old 07-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
cliffhagan
I brick open layups

cliffhagan has an OK reputation so far

Very sad in my opinion. Just another example of corruption within the NBA...
cliffhagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
JordanL

JordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation here

The sad part is that a lot of Seattle fans seem to be under the impression that Paul Allen will simply give them the Blazers if the Sonics move away.

But, even ignoring the fact that they have an agreement until 2025, Allen just recently purchased back the arena that they play in, and is in the planning stages of pumping about $100 million in development to the entire area.

Allen, even if he wanted to, which it doesn't seem he does, would be out for probably close to half a billion dollars if he moved the team to Seattle.

Seattle has to win this one the hard way and hold on to their team. And I hope they do, because Seattle is/was a better basketball town than OKC will ever be.
JordanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
silencespeak
Chicken Parm

silencespeak has an OK reputation so far

all of this is just a big ****ing mess. i hope seattle keeps their team.
silencespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
blazerftc
High School Varsity 6th Man

blazerftc has an OK reputation so far

I just can't see how this could come down in Bennett's favor. EVERY part of this case goes against him. The thing that I'm more concerned with is Schultz's lawsuit to get the team back. Does anyone think Bennett/Schultz could come up with an arrangement involving the Grizz? (as has been discussed on this board a few times.)
blazerftc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #7
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

seattle fans i feel your pain. hopefully all goes well and you get to keep your team.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanL
The sad part is that a lot of Seattle fans seem to be under the impression that Paul Allen will simply give them the Blazers if the Sonics move away.

But, even ignoring the fact that they have an agreement until 2025, Allen just recently purchased back the arena that they play in, and is in the planning stages of pumping about $100 million in development to the entire area.

Allen, even if he wanted to, which it doesn't seem he does, would be out for probably close to half a billion dollars if he moved the team to Seattle.

Seattle has to win this one the hard way and hold on to their team. And I hope they do, because Seattle is/was a better basketball town than OKC will ever be.

What the hell are you on about? I haven't heard anything at all about Portland moving to Seattle. Jesus, nobody has even gotten that far. I think most of us are still hoping there's a way to keep the Sonics in Seattle, and the best they can hope for after that is an expansion club.

You sound like an immature Portland fan suffering from anxiety. Did one of your little buddies tell you this rumor?

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:44 PM   #9
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

clay bennett needs to suck off every fan in seattle
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:45 PM   #10
JordanL

JordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
What the hell are you on about? I haven't heard anything at all about Portland moving to Seattle. Jesus, nobody has even gotten that far. I think most of us are still hoping there's a way to keep the Sonics in Seattle, and the best they can hope for after that is an expansion club.

You sound like an immature Portland fan suffering from anxiety. Did one of your little buddies tell you this rumor?

Mathius

Jesus.

As someone who lives in the area, I've had several Seattle residents say this offhandedly. I'm not anxious at all, in fact I was expressing pity for Seattle fans who felt this way because the notion that the Blazers were moving is as rediculous as... well as you seem to think it was.

But Jesus Christ, sorry I offended you.
JordanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #11
Rekindled
Pringles Reborn

Rekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryRekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryRekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

give them clipper imo.
Rekindled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #12
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Then why would Allen be one of only two owners to vote against the move?
Allen and Mavs owner Mark Cuban are the only owners to vote nay on the move to OKC the reamaing 28 voted yes to the move...
seems if Allen wanted the city for the blazers he'd have voted yes..

Edit: of course the rumour is not new, here's an article from 2 years ago...

http://sportsbusinessradio.net/?q=node/307

Last edited by gts : 07-01-2008 at 11:54 PM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #13
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius

Mathius

Don't mind him. He's just a troll who has to post something about the Blazers in each thread
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:44 PM   #14
Koop1
Great young streetballer

Koop1 has an OK reputation so far

hopefully they stay in seattle
who the **** wants to go to Oklahoma
Koop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:01 AM   #15
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:

$500,000,000 would be a drop in the bucket for allen...

but it isnt going to happen. i admit that the rumor was captivatiing when it came out but allen is well invested in portland

and he is a model of an owner who invested his OWN money into an arena. i am envious of portland and dallas and the commitment of the owners into their own clubs and doing what is best for the league-- not just their own pockets
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: