Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Knowing what we know now from the '96 draft...

Who would you have chosen #1 overall if you were the GM?
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Knowing what we know now from the '96 draft...

I'd still take A.I. I don't feel like Nash or Kobe could have done what he did with the same teammates.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
asdf1990
College star

asdf1990 has no real reputation yet.

asdf1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
swanson333
Can barely lace up my sneakers

swanson333 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
I'd still take A.I. I don't feel like Nash or Kobe could have done what he did with the same teammates.

Tell me your kidding?? I don't even like kobe but to say you would still draft A.I. ahead of him is rediculous! Every GM in the league would take Kobe #1.
swanson333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
Rysio
Local High School Star

Rysio has a very bad reputationRysio has a very bad reputationRysio has a very bad reputationRysio has a very bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson333
Tell me your kidding?? I don't even like kobe but to say you would still draft A.I. ahead of him is rediculous! Every GM in the league would take Kobe #1.
great first post.
Rysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It would be hard to guess at the time that Kobe would be the second coming but if I did know then it would easily be him.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
BlackJoker23
Local High School Star

BlackJoker23 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysio
great first post.
holy shit.first phucking post in 5 years
BlackJoker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
Joey Zaza
Local High School Star

Joey Zaza is considered somewhat coolJoey Zaza is considered somewhat coolJoey Zaza is considered somewhat cool

If we re-draft it today, knowing what I know (assuming Kobe will play for my team and not whine his way to LA, right?)

Allen Iverson
Ray Allen
Antoine Walker
Marcus Camby
Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Stephon Marbury
Kobe Bryant
Steve Nash
Jermaine O'Neal
Kerry Kittles
Peja Stojaković
Erick Dampier
D.fisher
Tony Delk

Here's the thing, my job as a GM, especially on a bad team (which gets a good pick) is on the line. I want the guys who can do it right away and fit perfectly into whatever else I have in mind.

The guys who took 3ish years to develop are of no value to me. They'll get some other GM a raise, and a title, not me...Ill be sitting around my house saying "I knew that guy would be good."

So - AI, Ray, Walker are my first 3.

Then I went with size because size does not come cheap. Z was specifically good early, the foot injuries will get me fired in 2 yrs, though.

Steph was good quickly, but the worst attitutde in the draft. He'll get me fired.

Then came the projects, Kobe, Nash, J.O'n. I'm fired by the time they get good, but at least its on my resume.

Then role players. No one cares. Hopefull by that time in the draft my team is pretty good anyway and these guys make their small contributions and I'm a genius.
Joey Zaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
jjayfive
High School Varsity 6th Man

jjayfive has no real reputation yet.

knowing what I know now... kobe, nash, ai, ray

ray allen was the safest pick out of the four.. nash was a project since he came out of santa clara.. AI was gonna sell tickets and he was the best player in college.. kobe was a project.. but west drafted him even though they had eddie jones...

i would draft on potential and talent.. not needs..
jjayfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
TheMarkMadsen
Know what im sayin?

TheMarkMadsen is a pretty well-respected posterTheMarkMadsen is a pretty well-respected posterTheMarkMadsen is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Zaza
If we re-draft it today, knowing what I know (assuming Kobe will play for my team and not whine his way to LA, right?)

Allen Iverson
Ray Allen
Antoine Walker
Marcus Camby
Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Stephon Marbury
Kobe Bryant
Steve Nash
Jermaine O'Neal
Kerry Kittles
Peja Stojaković
Erick Dampier
D.fisher
Tony Delk

Here's the thing, my job as a GM, especially on a bad team (which gets a good pick) is on the line. I want the guys who can do it right away and fit perfectly into whatever else I have in mind.

The guys who took 3ish years to develop are of no value to me. They'll get some other GM a raise, and a title, not me...Ill be sitting around my house saying "I knew that guy would be good."

So - AI, Ray, Walker are my first 3.

Then I went with size because size does not come cheap. Z was specifically good early, the foot injuries will get me fired in 2 yrs, though.

Steph was good quickly, but the worst attitutde in the draft. He'll get me fired.

Then came the projects, Kobe, Nash, J.O'n. I'm fired by the time they get good, but at least its on my resume.

Then role players. No one cares. Hopefull by that time in the draft my team is pretty good anyway and these guys make their small contributions and I'm a genius.

Knowing what you know now you'd want to be known as the guy who drafted the same man who went on web cam and ate vasoline (which you knew he would) over Kobe Bryant? Flawless Logic
TheMarkMadsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #11
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster

I would've loved to have seen Kobe's career be played out in Philly. His hometown, and where his dad played. Take Iverson's scoring years, and add 3 - 5 ppg onto each average and we'd have Kobe. His career averages would've been a lot higher. And we would've saw possibly more 81 point type games.
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm still taking Allen Iverson. Call it bias. Call it stupid. Feel free to say whatever your heat desires. Instant impact player not only for the franchise but the NBA. He introduced a new culture to the game. Sure people rocked braids before AI. He wasnt the first human to. But to see the transformation with players in how they appeared from hair, tatts you name it? Bringing that hip hop prescence as well? Not that that has sh!t to do with a team if you're the GM. It doesnt, just useless info i'm giving. But call it bias, fanboy.

AI beasted in college and was exciting as hell to watch.

Kobe is great, but knowing what I know? He was in a perfect situation right out the gate. I'd like to see how his career unfolds or peoples replies if you didnt take Kobe #1 had he not played in L.A with Shaq.

Give me AI, did I say that enough?

Someone should create a thread of merged drafts. Say 1996 and 2003. How would a first round go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
I would've loved to have seen Kobe's career be played out in Philly. Living in Lower Merion playing summers in Philly, and where his dad played. Take Iverson's scoring years, and add 3 - 5 ppg onto each average and we'd have Kobe. His career averages would've been a lot higher. And we would've saw possibly more 81 point type games.

Fixed
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #13
bluechox2
#knickstape

bluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

knowing what i know based on talent and longevity:

Kobe Bryant
Allen Iverson
Ray Allen
Steve Nash
Antoine Walker
Marcus Camby
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Stephon Marbury
Jermaine O'Neal
Peja Stojaković
Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Kerry Kittles
Erick Dampier
D.fisher
Tony Delk
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #14
R.I.P.
NBA lottery pick

R.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechox2
knowing what i know based on talent and longevity:

Kobe Bryant
Allen Iverson
Ray Allen
Steve Nash
Antoine Walker
Marcus Camby
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Stephon Marbury
Jermaine O'Neal
Peja Stojaković
Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Kerry Kittles
Erick Dampier
D.fisher
Tony Delk

Peja goes at #5. 10 years of excellent shooting with at least 16 PPG, 5 RPG, 2 APG for a small forward.
R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #15
AMISTILLILL
Banned

AMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson333

They should build monuments in honor of this first post. I applaud you, kind sir.
AMISTILLILL is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: