Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 07-01-2008, 03:33 AM   #1
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far
Default Draft Grades

Sorry, I haven't been able to get on for a while, but I did this the day after the draft so it doesn't take into account any of the FA things that have taken place since.

The biggest thing I want to stress is that I do not consider a C to be bad, just average. A C was my measuring stick, and to me a C just meant that a team took a guy that may be able to help them out at some point, but is a big risk, or a team didn't fill a need but still got a good player. Basically I didn't think the pick was outstanding, but I also can see where they are coming from. A perfect example is Cleveland taking JJ Hickson. The good things are that Hickson has a lot of upside, good size, and plays a position that the Cavs need help at. The bad thing is that Hickson is still a year or two from really contributing and LeBron James wants to win now. Hickson may turn out be the next Al Jefferson, but if LeBron has bolted to NJ, then it is pointless. This is actually one of the better drafts I have done grades to as their are no F's or even D's. Usually there are at least a few of those.

Boston-C+:
Giddens is a surprising, but decent pick with Allen getting older and some free agents to deal with in the offseason. What drags this grade down is the fact that Chalmers and Douglas-Roberts are still on the board, and donít carry the off-court issues with them. The Walker trade is good, but somewhat unneeded with Giddens in place and no room for extra rookies if they do re-sign Posey and Cassell, and Erden has great potential for a pick that late.

Charlotte-C:
Nothing great and nothing bad from Charlotte on draft night. Augustin is a great prospect, but with Felton in place and better ďneedĒ players available, it seems kind of high to draft a backup. With the rumor that they almost landed Ford for Wallace, however, it needs to asked if Feltonís job is safe. Ajinca is a potential pick and could pay off down the road, but this team needs to win some games now. Weaver could have been a much better pick in the second round as a good backup combo-guard, but the fact they took Augustin in the lottery and have a highly paid Carroll may make him a non-factor.

Chicago-A:
Rose was an A+ pick and that has been discussed at length for weeks, and the trade for Asik doesnít hurt their grade any. They need help inside, but with some young guys in place they canít really bring in another young big. Instead they have a guy they can bring over in his prime if they lose (or choose to lose) Noah and/or Thomas after their rookie contracts are up.

Cleveland-C:
Hickson has huge upside and brings the size the Cavs wanted, but LeBron wants to win now and Hickson is at least a year from contributing. This is a good pick, but not if LeBron isnít happy. Jackson in the 2nd round is nice guy to try out in the Summer League to see if maybe he can play some minutes off the bench.

Dallas-B:
Shan Foster is a good young shooter and that late in the draft you canít ask for much more as you look to rebuild while remaining competitive.

Denver-B-:
Denver got into the draft by picking up Weems. With Smith possibly on his way and AI getting older, it doesnít hurt to add some youth on the wing.

Detroit-C+:
Detroit may make some changes in the offseason, but they donít need anymore guaranteed contracts. With that in mind they held White hostage so that they could get a guy they really wanted in Sharpe and a big athlete in Plaisted. Deron Washington is another good athlete that could make the team in a couple years if they need help on the wing. Overall they didnít help their chances of winning another championship, but they put some sold potential bench players in place in case trades take away some depth.

Golden State-B:
Golden State got a lot of value out of their picks. Randolph has as much upside as anyone in the draft and could be a huge steal in a few years. However with Wright already in place you have to wonder how many 6-10 raw athletes they need. Hendrix is a great pick in the 2nd round and could play for them off the bench right away.

Houston-C+:
As most of you guessed, I was jumping around my living room when the Rockets selected Batum. That excitement was killed when I found out that the Rockets had traded him for two of the most overrated prospects in the draft. They came in looking for a scorer that can create for himself and a backup for Yao. They came away with another shooter with poor shot selection, another undersized power forward that canít score, and Maarty Luenen. I think they were trying to strike gold again by picking the shooting forward version of Landry in Luenen, which they already have in Novak. However Greene does have huge upside and with some coaching could become a great scorer and defensive player. Dorsey is a wasted pickup with Scola, Landry, and Hayes on the team unless they think he can play center.

Indiana-B:
I donít want to get into non-draft related topics, but a trading away your former franchise players leads to filling needs in the draft. Rush doesnít fill the biggest need for the Pacers, but with a potential Tinsley trade coming, other players may need to be involved and having a good shooter and defender like Rush to help fill in makes some guys expendable. Hibbert probably wonít replace what OíNeal brought them, but he will be as close as they could find in this draft without having a top 10 pick because of his ability to score in the post. In the 2nd round Nathan Jawai has good upside and could help fill the middle for them in the next couple years. Overall they had a good draft that should be a good stepping stone to their new era.

L.A. Clippers-B+:
The Clippers knew what they wanted, and they got it. Eric Gordon is their potential franchise player and should be their new go-to scorer with Brand and Maggette possibly on their way out soon. In the 2nd round they grabbed another scoring guard in Mike Taylor who should provide instant offense off the bench. They also added the center with the most upside in the draft. The Clippers have Kaman in place, but in three years when Jordan has learned how to play basketball anything could have happened.

L.A. Lakers-C:
Joe Crawford may never put on a Lakers uniform, but who knows if he could end up being a decent backup like Greg Buckner or Keith Bogans down the line.

Memphis-B+:
I think Minnesota and Memphis came out even on the Love/Mayo trade, but Memphis giving up an overachiever like Mike Miller for overpaid duds like Marco Jaric and Antoine Walker is questionable. I also question the size of a backup with Conley and Mayo. With that said, I think Gay has a legit scoring partner in place and with another couple of bad years and top draft picks they could have a nice nucleus for the future. The forgotten piece to their draft is Darrell Arthur who is a lottery talent and could be a great option for them inside. This team gets a B+ with the potential for an A if Arthur reaches his potential.

Miami-A:
Beasley was the right choice for this team and with Wade and Marion should make them a playoff contender this season. In the second round, trading for Mario Chalmers almost makes this an A+ draft for the Heat. If Chalmers proves he is a legit lead guard this team may have had the best draft. If not, at least they may have gotten a good shooter and defender off the bench.

Milwaukee-C+:
Again, I donít want to talk about veteran trades, but again, the Bucks picking up Jefferson effected their draft. I like trading Yi for Jefferson, which gives them a decent frontcourt with Jefferson, Villauneva, and Bogut, and a nice 2nd option for Redd. However, the Bucks then used to the 8th pick on a SF in Alexander, grab Mbah a Moute in the 2nd round, and still have a decent player in Desmond Mason. I like Alexander as a prospect and I think Mbah a Moute will find a place in the NBA, but this team now has five guys who play SF. Mbah a Moute probably wonít make the team and Mason and Alexander will be able to play SG and PF respectively, but this teams still needs to worry about size. With Yi out and Jefferson in, this team needs a PF, or at least a PG to replace the shaky Williams if they canít re-sign Sessions, but instead passed on Lopez, Bayless, Augustin, and Randolph.

Minnesota-B+:
Love is a great fit for this team, and will be much more valuable to them then a scoring guard would have been. With Foye, McCants, Brewer, Jefferson, and now Love this will be one of the most exciting young teams to watch in the NBA. They will be small, and lack great defense, but they will dominate down low and score a lot of points. Nikola Pekovic is a great pick in the 2nd round and should provide them added muscle in the middle in the future.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:33 AM   #2
monthh
Local High School Star

Default Re: Draft Grades

New Jersey-A-:
The Nets had one of the best drafts nights and may have changed the fortunes of this team. Lopez is a real steal at 10. He should provide them with a consistent low block scorer for years to come with good bigs around him in Krstic, Boone, and Williams. Douglas-Roberts in the 2nd round is another huge steal. There is no telling how long Vince will be in NJ, or how long he will stay healthy. CDR was the best player available and should be an important player for them for years, whether it is coming off the bench or starting. Anderson and Yi will really determine how great this draft was for the Nets. Yi is basically like a rookie for them and as the key to the Jefferson trade will be extremely important to this future of this team. Anderson was a great college player, but the question is if his game will translate to the NBA. If it does the Nets may have one of the best 6th men in the league.

New York-B-:
The Knicks had one pick and they boldly used it to draft the guy they wanted as the face of their turnaround. It is hard to say what the Knicks roster will look like this season, much less a couple of years from now, but either way, D’Antoni has the man he thinks can be the glue that holds this team together, something they have lacked for years. The only issue will be Gallinari’s upside and if they will be happy picking a role player with potential All-Stars on the board in a couple years.

Orlando-C+:
Orlando filled their biggest want on draft day, and did it with a guy that will be able to help them out right away. The biggest concern with this pick is if Lee will be good enough to have passed on players with much more upside. This is a very solid pick and they will like him, but the question for now is if they could have gotten more.

Phoenix-C+:
Lopez really shows the hand that the Suns new coach, Terry Scott, wants to go with this team. After years of running Diaw and Barbosa are on the block, and Phoenix was in trade talks for TJ Ford, meaning they may be looking past the Nash era. With those things in mind they Suns draft Lopez who plays the same position as Shaq, possibly meaning they are already looking at the post Shaq era as well. Lopez is a big, tough player without much of an inside game. Next to Amare he could really fit in well, especially if the team looks to slow the game down a little. Dragic in the 2nd round has huge upside and should be ready to play in a few years when Nash’s career is starting to wind down.

Philadelphia-B-:
Philadelphia knew what they wanted: Size and athleticism. And they got it: Marreese Speights brings both of those things. The Sixers played their best basketball last season with a true SF in Young playing PF. That may not change this season, but Speights will allow them to go bigger without losing their ability to run. The thing that keeps this from being a great pick right now is that Speights is for the most part an athletic big that doesn’t have the skills to dominate down low, which is okay for now, but if they want to see their investment reach it’s potential, he needs to develop a lot.

Portland-A+:
I don’t need to go into all of their trades in great detail, but only armed with the 13th pick and a bunch of 2nd round picks the Blazers were able to add Bayless and Batum, along with a slew of future picks again. This team has two positions that are weaker than the rest at PG and SF. They filled them with in my opinion the 2nd best PG and SF in this draft, and two of the top 5 prospects overall. Both are projects, but if both work out, this team in two seasons could have a starting lineup made completely of guys they got as rookies on draft night. The only issue is that Batum is a big risk, but with the way they have drafted lately (and the fact Houston continued their bad history and traded him away like they did Gay) makes me feel much better in my prediction that he will be a star player.

Sacramento-C:
Sacramento took some of the biggest risks on draft night, and if they don’t work out could make this be by far the worst draft of the night. Thompson was considered a decent big man prospect, but the Kings believe he is worth a lottery pick. I don’t agree, but to be fair they need a scoring PF, and with Love gone it was between Thompson and Arthur. In the 2nd round they got Singletary who had a great college career and could be a great Bobby Jackson type of spark off the bench, but there is also a chance they give him a shot at being their future PG. If Singletary becomes their starting PG then this draft instantly becomes a B because he has shown very little PG skills so far. Ewing is another potential pick that makes you scratch your head. He is a 24 year old that averaged 6 points, 4 rebounds, and shot 28% from 3. What does Ewing bring to the table besides a 42 inch vertical? The Kings seem to have decided that they were just going to take the best athletes they could with their picks and hope that if they push the tempo they could outrun teams to get some wins. If this draft works then the Kings GM should get a long extension.

San Antonio-C+:
After years of surprising us with unkwon international players, the Spurs turn around and surprise us with American players. George Hill was not on anyone’s 1st round map even after he moved way up on the board in the Pre-Draft Camp. He is really a scoring point, but they like what they have in Parker and may have found his backup. After teasing everyone by selecting a European, they traded for Hairston who really fills a need for them as their wing players get older and older. The big question will be if Hairston will ever be good enough to produce much in the NBA. Gist is a lot like Hairston in that he was a productive player that brings some skills to the table, but just doesn’t blow you away with what he does on the court.

Seattle-B-:
Seattle has a team full of former draft picks and they are still waiting on most of them to become the players they thought they would be. With it becoming clear, however, that these guys probably won’t pan out, the Sonics drafted a whole bunch of potential players. More likely I think they are building a stable of young players in hopes of making a couple trades like the Celtics did last offseason in a year or two. Westbrook is a big of a surprise at the 4th pick. He has huge upside, but to this point has really only shown flashes of what he can be while being a great defender and super athlete. This pick could make or break the Sonics building project. Later in the first round, White, like Collison a few years ago, and Ibaka, like Sene, Swift, and Petro in the past are guys that they hope can be their answer inside. It seems like this team will just continue to mine for gold in an area that has shown no signs of gold in the past. In the second round Hardin and Kaun are great picks as they still search for some kind of a post presence. While it seems like I am bashing their picks, I actually really like what they did and if Westbrook becomes their starting PG and one of those big men become better than any of their past projects, this draft can quickly becoming a B+ or A-.

Toronto:
I won’t grade them because they didn’t make any picks, but the O’Neal trade is a bold move for them and could put them over the top as a team that could contend for the top spot in the East.

Utah-B+:
Utah continues to get great value from their picks. They came into this draft with Boozer rumors floating around and knowing Okur may not be their answer for much longer and found themselves a great young scoring 7-footer that plays a lot like Okur in Koufus and one of the best international prospects in the draft in Tomic who fell so low only because it will be years before he comes over. Utah has really set themselves up for continued success even if Boozer and Okur are gone in the next couple years. Dragicevic is a nice guy to get the rights to because he could someday be an NBA player.

Washington-C+:
Washington went into the draft knowing that they could have to face major changes in the offseason. They stuck with their plan and grabbed who they thought was the best big man available in McGee. McGee may be able to give them some minutes off the bench next season, but more likely he plays most of the year in the D-League before stepping up the following season and trying to become their new starting center.

Last edited by monthh : 07-01-2008 at 03:43 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

pretty good. I didn't read over the whole thing. really only read philly's and looked at everyone's grades. but not bad
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Portland-A+:
I don’t need to go into all of their trades in great detail, but only armed with the 13th pick and a bunch of 2nd round picks the Blazers were able to add Bayless and Batum, along with a slew of future picks again. This team has two positions that are weaker than the rest at PG and SF. They filled them with in my opinion the 2nd best PG and SF in this draft, and two of the top 5 prospects overall. Both are projects, but if both work out, this team in two seasons could have a starting lineup made completely of guys they got as rookies on draft night. The only issue is that Batum is a big risk, but with the way they have drafted lately (and the fact Houston continued their bad history and traded him away like they did Gay) makes me feel much better in my prediction that he will be a star player.

Great Job!

Repped!
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
Mr_Basketball#1
McCants is Available!!

Mr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation here

Boston gets a B at least. I think they should have picked CDR, but Giddens was a good pick. CDR refused to work out for bottom teams so Ainge didn't want to take a chance on him. According to reports Giddens performed better than anyone who worked out for us. He's athletic, he can defend and he can shoot the three ball.

Bill Walker can play the two or three and with his freakish athleticism, he has potential to be a great defender. Bill Walker was once projected as a lottery pick so I think that was a steal.
Mr_Basketball#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
veilside23
alternick = loser :D

veilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this board

The celtics got two steals.. both were projected as lottery pick..

If giddens stayed in kansas and finish his career there but didnt happen and rumors.

If walkers stayed in kansas state he would be their leading scorer plus considering how weak next year's draft will be. So gotta agree with mr basketball we should have atleast get a B.
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #7
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by veilside23
The celtics got two steals.. both were projected as lottery pick..

If giddens stayed in kansas and finish his career there but didnt happen and rumors.

If walkers stayed in kansas state he would be their leading scorer plus considering how weak next year's draft will be. So gotta agree with mr basketball we should have atleast get a B.
haha walker and giddens weren't projected lottery picks. walker COULD HAVE been a lottery pick had he not previously hurt his knee
Old 07-01-2008, 03:07 PM   #8
veilside23

veilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
haha walker and giddens weren't projected lottery picks. walker COULD HAVE been a lottery pick had he not previously hurt his knee

ok mr how about this..

Quote:
Giddens wasted little time making his presence felt, averaging over eleven points per game in taking home All-Big 12 Freshman honors. It seemed the talented guard was well on his way to becoming a high profile NBA draft pick in just a year or two, but his sophomore season would be a completely different story. Giddensí numbers, though still solid, dipped slightly from his All-Conference caliber freshman year and there started to be rumblings amongst Kansas fans about his decision making abilities and attitude.

link http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/J.R.-Giddens-74/
Old 07-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #9
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
I'm talking about this year. Had he come out after his freshman or sophomore year he may have been a lottery pick. But his stock really dropped. He wasn't even looked at as a 1st round pick this year. I'm not saying the guy isn't talented...but he hasn't been thought of as a lottery pick in about 3 years.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
veilside23

what did i say in my post ?

"If giddens stayed in kansas and finish his career there"

did you clearly say that in your first post no right you said

"haha walker and giddens weren't projected lottery picks. walker COULD HAVE been a lottery pick had he not previously hurt his knee"

Its clear that you didnt mention the word NOW
Old 07-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
what did i say in my post ?

"If giddens stayed in kansas and finish his career there"

did you clearly say that in your first post no right you said

"haha walker and giddens weren't projected lottery picks. walker COULD HAVE been a lottery pick had he not previously hurt his knee"

Its clear that you didnt mention the word NOW
I'm getting your post now. I misread it with the way it was typed
Old 07-01-2008, 07:08 PM   #12
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
Indiana-B:
I donít want to get into non-draft related topics, but a trading away your former franchise players leads to filling needs in the draft. Rush doesnít fill the biggest need for the Pacers, but with a potential Tinsley trade coming, other players may need to be involved and having a good shooter and defender like Rush to help fill in makes some guys expendable. Hibbert probably wonít replace what OíNeal brought them, but he will be as close as they could find in this draft without having a top 10 pick because of his ability to score in the post. In the 2nd round Nathan Jawai has good upside and could help fill the middle for them in the next couple years. Overall they had a good draft that should be a good stepping stone to their new era.

Nice job, only thing to correct is Jawai was Toronto's pick, #41 was part of the JO deal.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:47 AM   #13
monthh
Local High School Star

I kind of agree with you guys on Boston. Both could have been lottery picks. You could say the same thing about Derrick Character, DJ White, Richard Hendrix, Davon Jefferson, Keith Brumbaugh, and CJ Giles. All were top 5 or 10 in their classes and could have been college superstars and lottery picks. However, either injuries or offcourt issues left them fighting for their NBA careers. Out of all of those guys, however, Giddens is the one I have the least amount of questions about because it seems like he has turned things around off the court.

That is why the Celtics get a C+. They got two talented players who could be very good, but they are also two of the players with the brightest red flags.

Also, when I did this, I wasn't just looking at the good things about each guy. If I did that then even Sacramento could have gotten a B or higher because Thompson could be an athletic 15 and 10 guy with Singletary being a high-teens scoring point, and Ewing being a solid forward off the bench. If that happens then they had a very good draft. More likely they got a part-time starter and a couple guys that don't play more than a couple seasons in the NBA.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:50 AM   #14
monthh
Local High School Star

Thanks for pointing that out IL, I guess that means Toronto would get a solid B since I called the Jawai pick a B.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: