Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-01-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Which is the more relevent mesurement, with or without shoes?

In my opinion, I believe with shoes. People will argue that different shoes will add different height, but basketball is not played bare-foot. Without shoes measurement seems irrelevent, making a players heights a novelty rather than something that is necessary information needed to determine matchups.
Other threads have been dominated by this type of talk (I for one am guilty of it, myself), so let's settle it here.
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:15 AM   #2
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Which is the more relevent mesurement, with or without shoes?

Exactly,I made this thread 2 weeks ago.

I think it's more of people wanting to know the actual measurements of the NBA players instead of their listed height so they can make stupid arguments about Charles Barkley.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:15 AM   #3
3stat2
Local High School Star

3stat2 is considered somewhat cool3stat2 is considered somewhat cool

If I had to choose, I'd prefer with shoes too. But in all honesty - as long as it's consistent across the board, I don't care that much. Though some people on this board seem to be prepared to argue almost anything to the death.
3stat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
biisak
Yeah, Im from Sweden

biisak has decent reputation

Just curious: iIs this a serious thread?
biisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
Exactly,I made this thread 2 weeks ago.

Sorry man, I should have checked
Old 07-01-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
Originally Posted by biisak
Just curious: iIs this a serious thread?

Sadly, yes.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #7
B-Mac
T-Mac + B-Diddy= B-Mac

B-Mac has decent reputationB-Mac has decent reputation

With shoes

/thread
B-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Brunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputation

Completely irrelevant, as long as every player is measured the same way.
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:35 AM   #9
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Without shoes is far more important because it's a far more reliable measurement. The "with shoes" measures are completely unreliable, varying by as much as 3 inches depending on the type of shoes the player is wearing. There is never a guarantee that the player will play games in the same pair of shoes that he showed up to the measuring session in.

Players who show up to two combines (because they withdrew from the draft after the first one due to seeing their low draft stock) almost always get taller "in shoes" but don't get taller "out of shoes." Think about that. If you want hard data to back that up, search for the article about it at brewhoop.com.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:41 AM   #10
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Without shoes is far more important because it's a far more reliable measurement. The "with shoes" measures are completely unreliable, varying by as much as 3 inches depending on the type of shoes the player is wearing. There is never a guarantee that the player will play games in the same pair of shoes that he showed up to the measuring session in.

Players who show up to two combines (because they withdrew from the draft after the first one due to seeing their low draft stock) almost always get taller "in shoes" but don't get taller "out of shoes." Think about that. If you want hard data to back that up, search for the article about it at brewhoop.com.

Are they playing in these?!?
Old 07-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #11
nosurrender
Great young streetballer

nosurrender has an OK reputation so far

wow, so i guess i can say i'm 6'3 (6'2 1/2 rounded up) although i'm only 6'1.

all these bluffed heights are ridiculous, allen iverson is 5'10
nosurrender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #12
DJ Leon Smith
Shutting down your thread with knowledge and intelligence

DJ Leon Smith has decent reputationDJ Leon Smith has decent reputation

Without, as shoes introduces a variable. In reality though, an inch or two in height doesn't matter all that much in the NBA - look at Chris Bosh, whose main height is in his damn neck (you don't block shots with your head, although Bosh almost could).
DJ Leon Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #13
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Leon Smith
Without, as shoes introduces a variable. In reality though, an inch or two in height doesn't matter all that much in the NBA - look at Chris Bosh, whose main height is in his damn neck (you don't block shots with your head, although Bosh almost could).

Which begs another interesting question, why isn't standing reach more highly regarded? We hear a lot about hieght and wingspan, why not standing reach?
Old 07-01-2008, 10:18 AM   #14
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
Which begs another interesting question, why isn't standing reach more highly regarded? We hear a lot about hieght and wingspan, why not standing reach?

I think that it may not be considered important, but when GMs draft players, sometimes they say 'He plays bigger than he is' and tend to bring out the standing reach and wingspan stats. I's more important with big men, because you guard with your hands, not the head, so a high standing reach is key with defence.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:22 AM   #15
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantonli
I think that it may not be considered important, but when GMs draft players, sometimes they say 'He plays bigger than he is' and tend to bring out the standing reach and wingspan stats. I's more important with big men, because you guard with your hands, not the head, so a high standing reach is key with defence.

My point, exactly
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: