Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
Lax4422Chik1342
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Lax4422Chik1342's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 241
Default Rolando Blackman: 1st foreign born player

Several sources I've encountered lately like Wiki state that Georgi Glouchkov of Bulgaria was th first foreign born NBA player who played just one season with the Suns in 1985-86. No way, Rolando Antonio "Ro" Blackman was born in Panama and played for the Dallas Mavericks from 1981 til '92 before he closed out his career with the Knickerbockers
Lax4422Chik1342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman
 
gotbacon23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,936
Default Re: Rolando Blackman: 1st foreign born player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lax4422Chik1342
Several sources I've encountered lately like Wiki state that Georgi Glouchkov of Bulgaria was th first foreign born NBA player who played just one season with the Suns in 1985-86. No way, Rolando Antonio "Ro" Blackman was born in Panama and played for the Dallas Mavericks from 1981 til '92 before he closed out his career with the Knickerbockers


Frido Frey- played 23 games for the knicks in the nba's first year (1946-1947 season) was born in germany... i am sure there are other players from that season... but blackman wasnt even close to being the first.

http://www.databasebasketball.com/pl...ilkid=FREYFR01

heres where you can find players by country of birth

http://www.databasebasketball.com/pl...yercountry.htm
gotbacon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over
 
Manute for Ever!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Singapore, via Australia
Posts: 9,301
Default Re: Rolando Blackman: 1st foreign born player

I think fellow Aussie Eddie Palubinskas was drafted by the Jazz in 1980, not sure if he suited up, though. Any help?
Back to Blackman, I always picked up on his accent and was curious as to where he was from, thanks for sorting that out and keep up the great posts.
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian
 
L.Kizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX -
Posts: 36,544
Default Re: Rolando Blackman: 1st foreign born player

Daryl Dawkins was born on another planet does that count?
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
jongib369
Decent college freshman
 
jongib369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,680
Default Re: Rolando Blackman: 1st foreign born player

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Daryl Dawkins was born on another planet does that count?

jongib369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
Taller than CP3
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Beverly Hills, California
Posts: 430
Default Re: Rolando Blackman: 1st foreign born player

As a kid growing up, I thought it was amazing that his last name was Blackman and he was indeed actually a black man. Like how is such a thing possible? Did he just wake up one day and tell his mother he wanted to change his last name?
Taller than CP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #7
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Peking, P.R.C., Asia
Posts: 9,964
Default Re: Rolando Blackman: 1st foreign born player

Quote:
I think fellow Aussie Eddie Palubinskas was drafted by the Jazz in 1980, not sure if he suited up, though. Any help?

pretty sure he didn't

Blackman played college ball in the USA though correct? The guy from Bulgaria didn't.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #8
LJJ
Extra Cheese
 
LJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,458
Default Re: Rolando Blackman: 1st foreign born player

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbacon23
Frido Frey- played 23 games for the knicks in the nba's first year (1946-1947 season) was born in germany... i am sure there are other players from that season... but blackman wasnt even close to being the first.

http://www.databasebasketball.com/pl...ilkid=FREYFR01

heres where you can find players by country of birth

http://www.databasebasketball.com/pl...yercountry.htm

Yeah. The first season of the NBA featured a German, a Dutch, A Polack, a couple Canadians.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #9
Sakkreth
Raptors/LTU/Zalgiris
 
Sakkreth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kaunas, Lithuania
Posts: 4,086
Default Re: Rolando Blackman: 1st foreign born player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
I think fellow Aussie Eddie Palubinskas was drafted by the Jazz in 1980, not sure if he suited up, though. Any help?
Back to Blackman, I always picked up on his accent and was curious as to where he was from, thanks for sorting that out and keep up the great posts.

Ahh remember that Lithuanian guy who was raised in Australia, he was best Aussie player of his time
Sakkreth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #10
To4
Good High School Starter
 
To4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 895
Default Re: Rolando Blackman: 1st foreign born player

One of my Fave players.

Smooth player..
To4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:12 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy