Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New Orleans Pelicans Forum

New Orleans Pelicans Forum New Orleans Pelicans message board - New Orleans Pelicans Forum

Old 07-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #16
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Hornets, Paul agree to new deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
Why would CP3 do this? He has so much potential to make so much more money somewhere else? If I were Paul the most I would take would be three years... CP3 is to great to be locked up like that I would be very upset for him if this happens...

I kind of agree with you. He could definitly go to a bigger market and honestly with the players that New Orleans has, I don't see them being a perennial Western Conference power. Tyson Chandler, I'm still not sold on him. Peja is getting way old. Morris Peterson had like two or three good years and has been servicable since then.

Honestly, the only players that I will give props to as being above average is David West and Chris Paul and I think sooner or later Byron Scott will lose the Hornets just like he lost the Nets.
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #17
mattreis62
Good High School Starter

mattreis62 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
Why would CP3 do this? He has so much potential to make so much more money somewhere else? If I were Paul the most I would take would be three years... CP3 is to great to be locked up like that I would be very upset for him if this happens...

He would have been a restricted free agent when his rookie deal ran out, and New Orleans obviously would have matched any offer. Superstars never go anywhere after their rookie contract runs out under the current CBA. LeBron, Melo, Bosh, Wade, DH12, Yao, Amare, they all stayed with the team that drafted them. It's not until after the second deal that players become unrestricted, which makes it much easier to change teams.
mattreis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:41 PM   #18
Copperhead
Local High School Star

Copperhead has decent reputationCopperhead has decent reputation

Ok, some of you really need to stop hating. The market Paul is in has not stopped him from capitalizing on anything. He's going to make his money both by endorsements(2K, Jordan Brand, Right Guard, etc.) and from the team. I know some people think he's TOO GOOD for New Orleans and hate to see him there but it seems you'll have to live with it for a little while longer. Now that the Hornets' #1 offseason priority is just about taken care of, they'll now continue going after the free agent(s) they have their eyes on. Don't everyone hate at the same time now. Take your time.

Oh yeah, and here's a little more on the topic of Paul's extension.
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:30 AM   #19
Fiyah
Kids at the park dunk on me

Fiyah has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersDozen
I kind of agree with you. He could definitly go to a bigger market and honestly with the players that New Orleans has, I don't see them being a perennial Western Conference power. Tyson Chandler, I'm still not sold on him. Peja is getting way old. Morris Peterson had like two or three good years and has been servicable since then.

Honestly, the only players that I will give props to as being above average is David West and Chris Paul and I think sooner or later Byron Scott will lose the Hornets just like he lost the Nets.

Other superstars would kill to have CP3's supporting cast. LeBron would love to play with David West, Chandler, Peja, Mo Pete, Pargo etc. West is already an all-star and will only get better, I think CP3 realizes that he is very lucky to have West with him. It's not easy to find a young PF like West. CP3 also has a very good supporting cast besides West, they nearly went to the Western Conference Finals in their first year playing together (I don't count year before last since they were all injured). So with a few additions in the offseason I'm sure they can make a nice run for the championship.

CP3 is in a great situation with the Hornets. Wouldn't make sense for him to leave when the team loves him, the city loves him, he has a great relationship with the coach and he can make quite a few runs for the championship with this team.

Also, if things don't work out, he's there for 5 years. He'll be like 27 or 28 once the contract runs out and he can go somewhere else then. But it's a win-win for both sides for CP3 to stay in NO for atleast the next 3-5 years.
Fiyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:41 AM   #20
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

who is this Chris Paul guy? why waste money on him when there's true superstars like Bynum out there.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:57 AM   #21
yobore
Great college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gencbiba
IMO, there is no best PG right now. It's still a race. We'll know next year though.
maybe, but there was a best PG last season. If there wasn't then the league has only had a best PG a couple seasons during Magic and Isiah's reigns.
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:59 AM   #22
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Paul is easily the best pg in the NBA, and quite possibly the best overall player at any position. Kobe may have a better skillset, but Paul's decision making makes his numbers and contribution to his team better. The reason the Hornets shocked the league by being one of the best teams last year is because he put up the NBA's best win score.

Anything less than the max for Paul is a joke.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:10 AM   #23
AItheAnswer3
Decent college freshman

AItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation hereAItheAnswer3 has an incredible reputation here

Great...He's already the best PG in the NBA!
AItheAnswer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #24
dafunkphenom
Living Legend

dafunkphenom has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Hornets, Chris Paul agree to extension

That's right, he is the best in the NBA. The second best will be moving to LA next year.
dafunkphenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #25
JordanL

JordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafunkphenom
That's right, he is the best in the NBA. The second best will be moving to LA next year.

I hope you don't mean Davis.
JordanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:22 PM   #26
Manifesto32
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Manifesto32 has an OK reputation so far

Great choice by both sides.
Manifesto32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #27
steve

steve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanL
I hope you don't mean Davis.
He's clearly talking about Brevin Knight.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #28
TmacsRockets
Banned

TmacsRockets has an OK reputation so far
Default Chris Paul agrees to 3 yr, $68M extension

From NOLA.com

Quote:
Hornets All-Star point guard Chris Paul agreed to a three-year contract extension with a player option for a fourth year, his agent Lance Young said Thursday.

The deal is estimated at $68 million, which will push Paul's yearly salary starting in 2009-10 to more than $20 million per season. Under NBA rules, Paul cannot sign the deal until July 9.

"The deal is done,'' said Young, who declined to go into more specifics regarding the deal.
TmacsRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #29
veilside23
alternick = loser :D

veilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this board
Default Re: Chris Paul agrees to 3 yr, $68M extension

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94069 thread already existed .... stickied too...
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:26 PM   #30
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Chris Paul agrees to 3 yr, $68M extension

Well not that Portland had a shot at him anyway, but at least we have Bayless now. Finally, a players deserving of getting 20 million a year.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: