Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #31
RapsFan
Great college starter

Default Re: Raptors Roster Up to date...With Salaries

I still think that an upgrade at both wings is necessary for us to get to the next level. I just don't think it can happen financially right now. Hopefully we spend our MLE, or a portion of it, on a guy like Pietrus etc to help in that area.

In theory having 2 bigs like Bosh and JO would mean our paint is clogged, but Bosh spends a ton of time (far too much), on the perimiter launching jumpers out of the pick and pop (not role) that is the Raptor's offense. Same with Bargs. And even JO shoots a number of face up jumpers.

The bottom line is that we have some of the weakest production in the entire freakin' league out of the SF and SG spots...it's an issue.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #32
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
The bottom line is that we have some of the weakest production in the entire freakin' league out of the SF and SG spots...it's an issue.
I actually think the Raptors have THE weakest talent at SG/SF in the league. Even the TWolves at least have Mike Miller who is better than anyone the Raptors can put at those 2 spots.

I still think you can get by with Moon/Kapono at SF but an upgrade at the 2-guard is a must IMO. Parker is slowing down fast playing heavy minutes 82 games per year. His defense was nowhere to be found last year and let's face it, he is probably done with the NBA after this season.

EDIT: Actually the Knicks are probably worse at these 2 spots. Although that could change depending on how Gallinari produces.

Last edited by Qwyjibo : 07-03-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #33
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I actually think the Raptors have THE weakest talent at SG/SF in the league. Even the TWolves at least have Mike Miller who is better than anyone the Raptors can put at those 2 spots.

I still think you can get by with Moon/Kapono at SF but an upgrade at the 2-guard is a must IMO. Parker is slowing down fast playing heavy minutes 82 games per year. His defense was nowhere to be found last year and let's face it, he is probably done with the NBA after this season.

EDIT: Actually the Knicks are probably worse at these 2 spots. Although that could change depending on how Gallinari produces.

Hassan Adams appears to have the ability to drive to the hoop, and shoot the 3... his defense is respectable too
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #34
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekman
Hassan Adams appears to have the ability to drive to the hoop, and shoot the 3... his defense is respectable too

He was playing in Italy wasn't he last year? That is for a reason. Hassan Adams does not change our wing's rankings in the NBA.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #35
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Quote:

Yeah. This time of the year its hard to keep track of where everybody is, what teams are projected with what starters

But you could be right. Wow, never even thought about it that way. Though, if JO plays half decently, stay healthy, and contributes on D, Kapono should get the space and minutes to score 15+ppg. In which case that threesome playing 30mpg each would not be that bad.

Will still have a furrowed brow for much longer regarding JO. Everybody has been saying it for 6 months - number 1 requirement is a scoring star winger. What do we get? JO.
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:04 PM   #36
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Old Willy
Yeah. This time of the year its hard to keep track of where everybody is, what teams are projected with what starters

But you could be right. Wow, never even thought about it that way. Though, if JO plays half decently, stay healthy, and contributes on D, Kapono should get the space and minutes to score 15+ppg. In which case that threesome playing 30mpg each would not be that bad.

Will still have a furrowed brow for much longer regarding JO. Everybody has been saying it for 6 months - number 1 requirement is a scoring star winger. What do we get? JO.

Kapono played with Wade and Shaq and didn't get 15ppg. Career high of 10.9. He had plenty of space on that title team. I am less optimistic.

Last edited by RapsFan : 07-03-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #37
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

Well if we need better players at both wing positions to take that next step we will not take that step. There's no way the team can afford to upgrade both positions.

Moon/Kapono and Parker aren't awful, they're borderline NBA starter quality; any upgrade over them would need to be good-quality NBA starters, and it's rare that NBA teams manage to complement three potential all-stars with 2 other good quality starters. If Bosh, O'Neal and Calderon are as good as lots of us think they are, they should be good enough to get past the first round of the playoffs even if their two fellow starters aren't outstanding.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:53 PM   #38
kingsley
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by huppcap
Moon does not blow by his defenders very often ie. drive to the basket. It was well publicized in here and in the media the lack of driving he does to the basket. Mitchell screamed constantly in his ear to take the ball to the basket and give up the outside shot. Moon is afraid of contact.

If Moon's defense was so good how come the guy(s) he was defending in the playoffs scored so many points? Earlier in the season he played better defense but got away from it later. The only thing he does defensively is block shots (usually only after a guy blows by him) and rebound (he uses his athletic ability to out jump guys and not necessarily box out).

The honeymoon is over for Moon. He is not a great shooter. Kapano is a shooter who gives you points and Moon a guy that rebounds the ball and defensively can block shots. Kapano is a smarter defender than Moon but lacks lateral quickness. Moon should be a better on the ball defender since he has the athletic ability.

Neither one of these guys is a clear cut starter.

He didn't fall in love with the 3 or refuse to go in the paint. I recall he had a lot of spectacular dunks, including some where he dunked on other players. It was the kind of play that put him into the dunk competition. I recall him taking 3's, but I wouldn't say he fell in love with them. The 3's I remember him taking, he made a decent amount of them. Did he miss some, you bet, but I hardly will knock him on that. I also recall at times at the end of the year his defence was not up to par, where he mad the wrong decisions on the defensive end. Like not getting up on a player, and giving him room to pop a 3; but all in all his defensive play was really good. I wouldn't say his defensive player was all defensive team worthy, but among delfino, parker, and kapono Moon was the best defensive player.

You ask what happened to Moon in the playoffs. He didn't play the first two games, and other than Howard outplaying Bosh, the raptors were killed by superior play at the 2 and the 3. In crunch time, the magic were able to repeatedly take the ball to the paint and make layups. It is notable to point out that Moon didn't start any of those games nor did he get much minutes. In game 3 Moon was in the starting line up, he played 33 minutes and registered a double double and the raptors won 108-96. In game 4, Moon was in the lineup, and the raptors were up; then Moon popped his groin and left the game playing only 19 minutes, and the Magic went back to superior play at the 2 and the 3 and came back and ultimately won 106-94. The go ahead bucket came with points in the paint at the wing position. The next game Moon played just over 20 minutes, and the Raptors got played at the 2 and 3 again. So you are right when you said what happened to Moon, I was thinking the same thing, only I was wondering why is he on the bench; when the raptors could use his size and defensive presence.

Kapono no doubt can light it up, and I don't think anyone is contesting that. But when he has to put the ball on the floor, he usually ends up taking an unsettled shot and missing badly. In the offense you guys are suggesting, where Kapono will be left open to take open 3's when bosh or oneal is doubled is fine. What happens if they park one guy in front of kapono, and he is forced to put the ball on the floor. Infact early last season the raptors gave him first crack at the starting spot, but Moon eventually outplayed him for it.

They both bring something different to the table, and it will all come down to who they are matching up with and what the situation calls for.
kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:13 AM   #39
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

Moon was like under 30% from 3 wasn't he? Hardly making a decent amount of them. I do agree with starting Moon but he is not the defensive game changer you think he is.

It's really a moot point who starts as Sam will hopefully just ride the hot hand.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:18 PM   #40
new noise
madvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ball
I would prefer if Moon went to the bench, but the real question is can Sam coach this team? Sam did not have a clue on how to include Kapono in the offense last year. That may be why Moon started all those games.

I'm kind of leaning towards the hope that Calderon shows good enough decision making that Sam will barely be required to coach much at all, which would be a plus.

Looking at the revamped roster, right now it feels like more than anything the gameplan will really just be for Jose to throw it down low to either Bosh or O'Neal, leading to either a quick inside score or to defenses collapsing enough that one or more of Parker/Calderon/Kapono and to a lesser extent Moon can get a good look at the basket.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:33 PM   #41
new noise
madvillain

Quote:

I wonder if even the Knicks match the Raptors' crappiness on the wings. At the very least they have a couple players (Crawford, Q-Rich) who've done something in the NBA, and a little depth and some youth with guys like Gallinari/Balkman/Fred Jones/Collins/Chandler. Not much, but there's at least some insurance at each spot there. I hate to think that Delfino is the difference on any team, but the Raptors probably got worse in the depth department.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:03 PM   #42
HalphbreedBaller
High School JV MVP

The National Basketball Association today announced that the Salary Cap for the 2008-09 season will be $58.680 million. The new Cap goes into effect immediately as the league’s “moratorium period” has ended and teams can begin signing free agents and making trades.
The tax level for the 2008-09 season has been set at $71.150 million. Any team whose team salary exceeds that figure will pay a $1 tax for each $1 by which it exceeds $71.150 million.

The mid-level exception is $5.585 million for the 2008-09 season and the minimum team salary, which is set at 75% of the Salary Cap, is $44.010 million.

For the 2007-08 season, the Salary Cap was set at $55.630 million, the tax level was $67.865 million and the mid-level exception was $5.356 million.

At Least we are under the tax :P
HalphbreedBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: