Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
enayes
Decent college freshman

enayes is considered somewhat coolenayes is considered somewhat coolenayes is considered somewhat cool
Default Powerball 2013

The current Powerball jackpot is at $320 million and should surpass $350 million by tonight's drawing.

Anyone buy a ticket?

I'm personally buying 3 sets of numbers for the drawing tonight.
1. Numbers off my fortune from a Chinese buffet
2. Had my gf randomly pick/fill in a set
3. One quick pick as well

It's honestly worth the money just to keep the dream alive.
Good luck to all.

"You have to play to win."

enayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
enayes
Decent college freshman

enayes is considered somewhat coolenayes is considered somewhat coolenayes is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Powerball 2013

One winning ticket was sold in New Jersey. At 338 million, this was the 6th largest jackpot in history.

Winning numbers were: 17, 19, 31, 51, 53 and 31

Jackpot is now reset to 40 million.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
Maniak
... :\

Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i feel really bad for everyone who plays this shit
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
DonD13
GYMNAST

DonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I played once.
In case Jesus wanted me to become a lottery millionaire, I didn't want to stay in the way.
But wether you play 1 time or 1000 times, the chances of you winning are pretty much the same...
guess I have to work for $$$ :-/
DonD13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
TylerOO
Back in Cleveland!

TylerOO has decent reputation

A store in my town sold a million dollar ticket last week. Now another Jersey winner, Im gonna have to start buying more while Jersey is hot
TylerOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

What a waste to have 338 mil going to one person. It would be so much better to have 100 3.38 mil prizes. So many more people would benefit. Nobody needs 338 mil.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
Patrick Chewing
Knicks fan since 1981

Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef
Nobody needs 338 mil.

Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

lottery is so goddamn weird. a perpetual loop catered to tickle the basest of human drives. the more money in the pot, the lower your chances of winning, the more likely you are to buy a ticket, the more money in the pot, ad infinitum

and it makes zero sense. its absurd to think theres much difference between a regular joe winning 20 million or 200 million, the utility of that last 180 is diddily squat, and yet its exactly the difference between that regular joe deciding to buy a ticket or not... in spite of his lower chances

powerful marketing a suppose. is "you have to play to win" the powerball slogan or w/e? its damn good lol
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
TylerOO
Back in Cleveland!

TylerOO has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
lottery is so goddamn weird. a perpetual loop catered to tickle the basest of human drives. the more money in the pot, the lower your chances of winning, the more likely you are to buy a ticket, the more money in the pot, ad infinitum

and it makes zero sense. its absurd to think theres much difference between a regular joe winning 20 million or 200 million, the utility of that last 180 is diddily squat, and yet its exactly the difference between that regular joe deciding to buy a ticket or not... in spite of his lower chances

powerful marketing a suppose. is "you have to play to win" the powerball slogan or w/e? its damn good lol

"You have to be in it to win it" is what I hear all the time.
TylerOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
enayes
Decent college freshman

Most people understand that the chances of winning are extremely slim.
1 in 175 million to be exact.

But for many, myself included, it's worth $1-2 every now and then to keep the dream alive, think about how you would spend the money, escape from your daily life for a little bit, etc.

Hey, you never know.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
But for many, myself included, it's worth $1-2 every now and then to keep the dream alive, think about how you would spend the money, escape from your daily life for a little bit, etc.
oh yeah it's definitely worth staking your small change on as long as you've got the small change to spare.. i was just commenting on the whole system which is pretty neat from an outsiders perspective. rereading my post it came off too negative, i'm not altogether against the idea or anything, just fascinated by it.

the chance to be "set for life", which was a campaign atlantic lotto ran for a while here in eastern canada, i think it offered $10,000 payments every week for 25 years, its sort of the lazy man's american dream haha

how would you feel about capping the total amount a top cash prize can be, as a means to more equal distribution? the industry would be pissed because like i said the higher the top bill, the more tickets they sell, but i agree with the guy above on splitting it up more. definitely makes sense from every angle i can imagine, with the exception of the lotto ceo's perspective lol

g'luck to you sir
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

I'm not sure how it works in the US, but in the UK, some of the Lottery money actually goes towards public funding for art work and other cultural stuff, so it's a nice way diverting some people's greed/desperation to charitable causes.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
enayes
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantonli
I'm not sure how it works in the US, but in the UK, some of the Lottery money actually goes towards public funding for art work and other cultural stuff, so it's a nice way diverting some people's greed/desperation to charitable causes.

Most of the money goes into education here. The lottery was originally meant to supplement the current government/state funding for education, but it hasn't really done what it was meant to do. Instead of there being extra money towards education, the government relies on the lottery revenue and has lowered their funding. But I still feel good saying the money is going into out schools.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
enayes
Decent college freshman

Quote:
oh yeah it's definitely worth staking your small change on as long as you've got the small change to spare.. i was just commenting on the whole system which is pretty neat from an outsiders perspective. rereading my post it came off too negative, i'm not altogether against the idea or anything, just fascinated by it.

the chance to be "set for life", which was a campaign atlantic lotto ran for a while here in eastern canada, i think it offered $10,000 payments every week for 25 years, its sort of the lazy man's american dream haha

how would you feel about capping the total amount a top cash prize can be, as a means to more equal distribution? the industry would be pissed because like i said the higher the top bill, the more tickets they sell, but i agree with the guy above on splitting it up more. definitely makes sense from every angle i can imagine, with the exception of the lotto ceo's perspective lol

g'luck to you sir

I think it's a good idea in theory, but at least for the Powerball and MegaMillions games, it wouldn't work/make sense. In order to win the jackpot you have to match all 6 balls, they already have second tier, third tier prizes, etc.

If you're talking about not letting the jackpot get TOO high, as to prevent one person from winning over 100 million, I think it's fun the way it is. And most winners are going to share a lot of their winnings with family and friends, so in reality the wealth it being distributed.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
JerryWest
kobeee!!

JerryWest posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryJerryWest posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

i'll never win
JerryWest is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: