Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 07-05-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
LBJames2010
Local High School Star

Default Wii sports games?

We just bought a Wii and i was looking into buying an NFL or NBA game for it. My question is...is it worth it? Is it as fun as it is on Playstation/Xbox?
LBJames2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Default Re: Wii sports games?

Im not sure about NBA but my friend has NFL for wii and it was pretty fun. I also recomend SSB BRAWL
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:48 PM   #3
LBJames2010
Local High School Star

i think im gonna get madden 08 for wii.

reviews for nba live 08 SUCKED
Old 07-06-2008, 05:07 AM   #4
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

NBA live is a terrible game. But NBA 2k is good, I dont know if 2k makes games for wii though.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:57 AM   #5
ukballer
NBA rookie of the year

I haven't actually played the NBA Live game on it, but apparently because the Wii is seen as a family orientated console rather than for hardcore gamers, the game has the option of 'family controls' which basically make it harder to miss scoring a basket than missing. Apparently the graphics look no better than the PS2 version (which is a quite horrific game trust me).

Oh and more bad news, 2K Sports has no NBA games out for the Wii.

I buy my basketball video games for realism/good simulation, not see who can hit a halfcourt shot with Shaq and probably score it after 2 attempts.

So if you're looking for realism, stay well away. Stick to your Xbox/Playstation for NBA games.

As for the Madden game, I'm not an American Football fan at all, but even I've been tempted to get the latest game. The graphics are good, the control options look great, just generally looks a great game for the Wii. You can easily see where EA/Nintendo's sport game priorities lie.

So as much as I hate to say it, from looking at reviews and watching videos, for the Wii:

Madden >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Live ,big time

Last edited by ukballer : 07-06-2008 at 06:00 AM.
ukballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
sixerfan82
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJames2010
i think im gonna get madden 08 for wii.

reviews for nba live 08 SUCKED

thats because the wii sucks for sports games

wii is BEST at mini games, that's it. If you look at what you are doing with wii controllers, it's very much mini game based.

sports games require buttons, there is no way you can do that with the wii's intended control scheme.

nba live on the wii is the result, a ****ty lackluster mess of a control scheme, it's so bad i cant even put into words
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
intrinsic
Local High School Star

have u played tiger woods on the wii?
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #8
LBJames2010
Local High School Star

not a big fan of golf...
Old 07-07-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan82
sports games require buttons

1985 called. they want their post back. :)

the wii has had some flops (nba live), but it's had a lot of success with sports games. not like nba live is that much better on any other console tbh... so far though id never play a golf/bowling/tennis/soccer game on any other system after playing them on the wii.

i'd go with any of the following:

madden. the controls are done extremely well. a typical offensive play takes you through a couple of fake snaps (flicking the wiimote back with the trigger held), releasing the trigger and flicking the wiimote back to hike the ball, throwing a couple of pump fakes, then throwing a lob or bullet pass depending on the speed in which you 'throw' the controller. there's also a ton more intuitive control mechanics that give the game some fresh new gameplay.

tiger woods 09. i just read you're not that into golf games, and neither am i really, but this one is going to be the mutt's nuts. your character's club moves when you move the wiimote (1 to 1 movement) and it's online. takes into account slice/draw... potentially the best tiger woods game available.

pro evo soccer. best soccer game for any console. you use the pointer to pass the ball where you want to. you can also use it to guide your teammates through different routes all in real time. it's the most hands on sports experience yet imo

also: skate it, mlb power pros,

Last edited by SayTownRy : 07-07-2008 at 08:22 PM.
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:19 AM   #10
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukballer
I haven't actually played the NBA Live game on it, but apparently because the Wii is seen as a family orientated console rather than for hardcore gamers, the game has the option of 'family controls' which basically make it harder to miss scoring a basket than missing. Apparently the graphics look no better than the PS2 version (which is a quite horrific game trust me).

Oh and more bad news, 2K Sports has no NBA games out for the Wii.

I buy my basketball video games for realism/good simulation, not see who can hit a halfcourt shot with Shaq and probably score it after 2 attempts.

So if you're looking for realism, stay well away. Stick to your Xbox/Playstation for NBA games.

As for the Madden game, I'm not an American Football fan at all, but even I've been tempted to get the latest game. The graphics are good, the control options look great, just generally looks a great game for the Wii. You can easily see where EA/Nintendo's sport game priorities lie.

So as much as I hate to say it, from looking at reviews and watching videos, for the Wii:

Madden >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Live ,big time

The graphics are better than Ps2. That is a bunch of crap.

And MLB 2K is available for the Wii.

Pro Evo, Madden, NCAA, Tiger, Power Pros, are all great. I haven't played Top Spin yet.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:28 AM   #11
Heretik32
Myrrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan82
thats because the wii sucks for sports games

wii is BEST at mini games, that's it. If you look at what you are doing with wii controllers, it's very much mini game based.

That's the long and short of it. The Wii is a family fun gimmick. "Serious" sports games require different controllers.
Heretik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: