Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-10-2008, 01:47 AM   #1
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool
Default "Your next Toronto Raptors move" Thread

Using "ESPN Trade Machine" (http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/trademachine), orchestrate what you think should be the Raptors next move. Along with the trade, give an explanation on why you think they should pull the trigger on this deal.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:11 AM   #2
pocketWs
I hit open 5-footers

pocketWs has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: "Your next Toronto Raptors move" Thread

tough call! Our trading assets are quite limited, Parker, Kapono and Bargnani are pretty much the only players on the roster worth anything on the trade market. I think if there is another move this year, it won't happen this summer, it's going to be close to the trade-deadline. That's only if we're contending and in need of rebounding/scoring/shooting/defense to go deep into the series. Or if Colangelo throws the towel and can score some young (insert best attribute) player and clears cap-room.
pocketWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
power works
High School JV MVP

power works has an OK reputation so far

It's unlikely the Raptors will give up on Bargnani, not this season at least. Or maybe even next. He'll be given the opportunity again to be relevant, especially without the added pressure of starting and being taught by JO to grow some balls.

As much as he gets ripped constantly by Raptor fans, there are many NBA wise men who would think insanity to give up on a 22-yr old 7-footer who can shoot. There's just not too many bigs out there that can actually play. Exhibit A - da Bucks are giving Bogut a 72 mil contract....seriously now.
power works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:26 AM   #4
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

RAPSCANWIN has decent reputation

The move out there that I'd like to see BC make is to make a push for Josh Childress. He's a restricted free agent, the MLE is likely all he'll get no matter who signs him at this point.

Even a sign and trade involving on of our wing players should be explored.

A move such as this would make us solid at every pos except at SG.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:27 AM   #5
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by power works
It's unlikely the Raptors will give up on Bargnani, not this season at least. Or maybe even next. He'll be given the opportunity again to be relevant, especially without the added pressure of starting and being taught by JO to grow some balls.

As much as he gets ripped constantly by Raptor fans, there are many NBA wise men who would think insanity to give up on a 22-yr old 7-footer who can shoot. There's just not too many bigs out there that can actually play. Exhibit A - da Bucks are giving Bogut a 72 mil contract....seriously now.

I couldnt believe they were giving Bogut that kind of cash. I dont even consider him a starter on most teams.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
bonez26
Local High School Star

bonez26 has an OK reputation so far

See if you can lure Reggie Miller out of retirement for the Vet's minimum. He could probably fill in at SG just like Ray Allen for the Celts. Then you have your big three and a capable PG. Reggie Bosh and JO would be dirty.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Childress is not even in the realm of possibility.

I can see a trade for a fringe 2g. One player that comes to mind is Fransisco Garcia from the kings.
He is a very solid offensive player stuck behind kevin martin on the bench.
His salary is very low, perhaps we could pry him for a 1st rounder and an expiring salary balast - graham.
The other option is to go after kevmart. The kings may want to focus on rebuilding half way through the season when they are in last place. It may make more sense for them to trade kevmart's contract to free up some space (he makes about 50 million over the next 5 years).
Perhaps
Bargs + AP = KevMart.

Raps lineup
Jose
Kevmart
Kapono/Moon
Bosh
JO

Solid.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonez26
See if you can lure Reggie Miller out of retirement for the Vet's minimum. He could probably fill in at SG just like Ray Allen for the Celts. Then you have your big three and a capable PG. Reggie Bosh and JO would be dirty.

I actually like that idea.....You gotta think Reggie wants a ring. I doubt his first option would be the Raps...I wonder what kind of pull JO has with him.???
Old 07-10-2008, 10:17 AM   #9
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
Childress is not even in the realm of possibility.

I can see a trade for a fringe 2g. One player that comes to mind is Fransisco Garcia from the kings.
He is a very solid offensive player stuck behind kevin martin on the bench.
His salary is very low, perhaps we could pry him for a 1st rounder and an expiring salary balast - graham.
The other option is to go after kevmart. The kings may want to focus on rebuilding half way through the season when they are in last place. It may make more sense for them to trade kevmart's contract to free up some space (he makes about 50 million over the next 5 years).
Perhaps
Bargs + AP = KevMart.

Raps lineup
Jose
Kevmart
Kapono/Moon
Bosh
JO

Solid.

Garcia is nice but, defensively he is average at best.....Childress has the complete game. I dont think he's out of reach, hardly anyone has cap room, and he'll likely settle for the MLE.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Good Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat cool

I don't get this thread at all.

Everybody know's what the next roster moves are. 1, possibly 2 teeny weeny guys added. See the 13th man thread above.

Raps have no cap room, are already at the tax threshold, and are not buyers. Raps cannot trade, have no assets to trade and too few players already so no 2 for 1's are possible. And no Joey Graham is not getting traded for a starter....

Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:57 AM   #11
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPSCANWIN
I couldnt believe they were giving Bogut that kind of cash. I dont even consider him a starter on most teams.
I think Bogut is going to have a career year next season..he really started to pick it up in the second half of the year ..It was almost like something just clicked in his head!

On the Raptors side...I can't see them making anymore moves...(small ones at best) Their most trade-able asset is Bargs ..and they seem content on giving him another shot this season.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:09 PM   #12
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

trade joey graham and anthony parker (both expirers) and 2009 1st round pick for jamaal crawford, works under cap

then sign some free agents to fill out the roster

Calderon / Ukic
Crawford / Adams
Moon / Kapono
Bosh / Humphries
O'Neal / Bargnani

go for broke, get a true scorer, dont worry about cap space for a few years or building for the future, if bosh an bargnani develop nicely this team will be challenging
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #13
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

If childress signs more mle, atlanta will absolutely retain him. He is RFA.

I had bogut in my pool last year and he was a big reason I won the championship.
He was a monster in the second half. Many a night he pulled down 20 reb.
And his defense was much improved. Not sure but he had something between 1 and 2 blocks per game. I think it was closer to 2.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #14
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthomasb
trade joey graham and anthony parker (both expirers) and 2009 1st round pick for jamaal crawford, works under cap

then sign some free agents to fill out the roster

Calderon / Ukic
Crawford / Adams
Moon / Kapono
Bosh / Humphries
O'Neal / Bargnani

go for broke, get a true scorer, dont worry about cap space for a few years or building for the future, if bosh an bargnani develop nicely this team will be challenging

I am 100% with you. If not Crawford, something like this can definitely happen and not hurt out tax. We have some expiring contracts still available and Parker is gone either this year via buyout (which I doubt) and certainly back to Europe next year. If we won't spend our MLE, then we need to do something.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:54 PM   #15
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Parker, Joey are both expiring contracts. Add in 2 future #1 picks......send that package to Minny for Mike Miller.

Jose
MM
Moon
Bosh
JO

Bench: Kapono, Hump, Bargs, Ukic, Adams, Scrub, Scrub, Scrub.

Now that is a team I can get excited about.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: