Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-09-2008, 09:49 PM   #16
bjtrdff
Darrick Martin's Coach

bjtrdff has decent reputationbjtrdff has decent reputation
Default Re: JO Determined To Be An All-Star Again.

He is very very well spoken. I was surprised, but his speech, the way he conducts himself, and his answers to questions were all just fantastic.
bjtrdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #17
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Good Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtrdff
He is very very well spoken. I was surprised, but his speech, the way he conducts himself, and his answers to questions were all just fantastic.

*Grumble, grumble*
I have to admit JO is well spoken. Good form.

*Grumble, grumble*
Maybe even close to the ideal type of player.

Allstar?
Other C's in the East:
Howard, Dalembert, Noah, Ilgauskus, Bogut, Horford...

Mmm... O'neil if healthy actually could make it. Top 2 among that group is possible.
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #18
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekman
100% agreed!!! The team needs to focus on gettin' the ball to Bosh and JO, then the open shots will come from Kapono, Parker and Jose

Look at the Utah Jazz back then with Malone and Stockton.. they didn't win the champs (lost to bulls) but make it to the finals with the likes of Hornacek at SG (similar to Kapono)
If you run plays for Kapono ..where he get's open shots ..he's going to knock them down..no doubt!..

I thought the Raps didn't use him properly last year...
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:29 PM   #19
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board

sam mitchell hit it right on the nose in the press conference

the wings better get out and run to get their points, because in the halfcourt, JO and Bosh are gonna go to work, because we have to of the best offensive bigs in the league

I salivate imagining our pick and roll game
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:55 AM   #20
power works
High School JV MVP

power works has an OK reputation so far

Here's an Indianapolis reporter's take on the JO trade: http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1062/SPORTS04

O'Neal needed to go. Not because he's a bad guy or a lousy teammate, but because it was time, both for him and for this franchise.

And he will prosper.

O'Neal, who has spent the past three offseasons rehabbing after surgery, is finally healthy and concentrating this summer on conditioning.

More important, though, he has been given an emotional jump-start, a chance to compete for a long-shot championship, an opportunity to play with a solid point guard (Jose Calderon) and an established forward (Chris Bosh).

I'll make this prediction: O'Neal will be an All-Star in 2008-09.

I hope this guy is a distant, distant relative of Nostradamus.
power works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #21
antonaki1
Serious playground baller

antonaki1 has an OK reputation so far

"I'm not worried about the offensive side of our current wing players, I'm concerned about them on the defensive side of the ball. One of our biggest weakensses was their defense last year.

That was what I was lookin for in a new wing if we were to in fact get one this off season."

With Jermaine and now Bosh in the paint, this does solve our problem with weak defence on the wings. Forwards will be able to stay in the face of guys like Kobe instead of helping double down into the paint. They won't have as much time and space to shoot and if they do choose to drive to the basket, they won't meet an interior noodle defence any more. They will meet Chris and Jermaine("who can be gosh darn nasty in there")
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #22
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonaki1
"I'm not worried about the offensive side of our current wing players, I'm concerned about them on the defensive side of the ball. One of our biggest weakensses was their defense last year.

That was what I was lookin for in a new wing if we were to in fact get one this off season."

With Jermaine and now Bosh in the paint, this does solve our problem with weak defence on the wings. Forwards will be able to stay in the face of guys like Kobe instead of helping double down into the paint. They won't have as much time and space to shoot and if they do choose to drive to the basket, they won't meet an interior noodle defence any more. They will meet Chris and Jermaine("who can be gosh darn nasty in there")

Guys, Bosh is a great offensive player. He is not a good defensive big. People realize this right?

I really hope to see a lot more then pick and roll (usually pop) offense this next year.

JO will anchor the D and he could have an all star season if he stays in the post and doesn't settle for jumpers (which he does a lot). Duncan worked the block and Robinson was at the foul line a lot, so hopefully Mitchell spends lots of time in the video room learning how to coach from other coaches.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:25 PM   #23
YaoMing4MVP
I hit open 5-footers

YaoMing4MVP has an OK reputation so far

Hey man, if he can play 65 games at 80% of his full potential, we'll get into the second round of the playoffs easily.

This year's theme is "stay healthy JO"
YaoMing4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:47 PM   #24
power works
High School JV MVP

I don’t know if anyone caught the show one-on-one on Raptors TV. Matt Devlin was doing an in-depth interview with JO, as customary with new players and coaches every year. Most of the material was covered in the press conference, except there’s a few interesting insights that JO expanded on. In particular, how he sees Bargnani’s role.

MATT: How is it right now (the knee)…right today…ready to go?
JO: I’m ready to go. I’m gonna tell the fans right now this team (Raptors) has taken me to a lot of doctors…lots of changes…so the knee is ready to go.

MATT: If you’re Jason Kapono or Anthony Parker you’re loving life right now.
JO: Lots of 3-pt shots…cause they’re gonna get a lot of wide-open shots….cause you really can’t double….when I looked at the list of teams that were trying to make a move for me….Toronto was right there….and the reason they’re right there cause they had a complete team…I didn’t want one great player then the supporting cast really dropped off……I wanted a really good team…obviously with bosh and the rest of the shooters they had….Bargnani I think is really gonna be key for us cause he’s a 7-foot guy who changes the dimensions of the game…being able to shoot outside….I get a great opportunity to work out with him in Vegas the next couple of weeks….give him some real post moves…some toughness on the low box.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:25 PM   #25
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by power works
Bargnani I think is really gonna be key for us cause he’s a 7-foot guy who changes the dimensions of the game…being able to shoot outside….I get a great opportunity to work out with him in Vegas the next couple of weeks….give him some real post moves…some toughness on the low box.

let us hope so!
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:11 AM   #26
power works
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
let us hope so!

Yeah I know, from the outside looking in Bargnani will continue to be a big tease. A 7-footer who can shoot and drive. It’s the reason he got picked over Brandon Roy & Rudy Gay. Roy would look very nice in a Raptor uniform right now.

The big question is which Bargnani will show up next season? Will he start reminding us of Dirk or Raef LaFrentz? Will he be Bryan Colangelo's Darko?

Some so called NBA experts are already labeling him a bust. But, as Kwame Brown has shown, a big man with decent talent will always have more than one life in da association.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #27
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by power works
Yeah I know, from the outside looking in Bargnani will continue to be a big tease. A 7-footer who can shoot and drive. It’s the reason he got picked over Brandon Roy & Rudy Gay. Roy would look very nice in a Raptor uniform right now.

The big question is which Bargnani will show up next season? Will he start reminding us of Dirk or Raef LaFrentz? Will he be Bryan Colangelo's Darko?

Some so called NBA experts are already labeling him a bust. But, as Kwame Brown has shown, a big man with decent talent will always have more than one life in da association.

Yeah, but one life or more doesn't stop Kwame from being a bust.

At this point, Raef LaFrentz at his best is 50 times the player Bargs has shown. I would be super happy if Bargs ever approached Raef's best seasons. The year he was moved to Dallas, Raef averaged 14.9 pts, 7.4 bds, 1.5 3's and THREE blks per game with Denver.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: