Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 07-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #1
ltuball
Can barely lace up my sneakers

ltuball has an OK reputation so far
Default Beijing 2008

Your predictions for the Olympics Basketball?

Gold-USA

Silver-Spain/Argentina/Lithuania

Last edited by ltuball : 07-09-2008 at 11:21 AM.
ltuball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age

Raj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Beijing 2008

Well if its for basketball then U.S. is winning gold 100% and silver I think will go to maybe Aregentina/Greece/Lithuania/Spain
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation

Hey, let's be homer:

Gold: Spain. They are the best TEAM, the most balanced and a lot of players have taken a big step this year. Final should be guaranteed at least.

Silver: USA. The best roster in terms of players, obviously, but it is to be seen if the can really play as needed with FIBA rules to demonstrate. They will suffer more than expected having only one true C. Also guaranteed the final.

Bronze: Lithuania. A really good mixture of youngs and veterans, I think it is time for them to definitively step up to the podium after some years underperforming.

I think Croatia will make a big impact this Olympics, so let's say they are fourth. I have the feeling Argentina and Greece will fail this time. Russia overperformed in the Eurobasket, and they should not advance to the semis.

Last edited by berraco : 07-09-2008 at 05:35 PM.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
Buffalobraves
Local High School Star

Buffalobraves has decent reputation

Gold: USA, Kobe vs Navvaro Lebron vs Carlos Jiménez turns out to get the advantage.

Pau vs Howard doesn't work out because Pau can't play though (NBA finals vs Garnett).

I dont think Marc is ready for NBA calliber players, he could do some damage with Melo covering him but once Bosh gets in hes in trouble I think.

All 3 U.S. Point Guards are better then Calderon.

Silver: Spain, along with the U.S. no one will be able to beat them. (Some may come close though)

Bronze: Lithuania, They fight it out for bronze with Greece.

Last edited by Buffalobraves : 07-10-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Buffalobraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:05 AM   #5
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobraves
Gold: USA, Kobe vs Navvaro Lebron vs Carlos Jiménez turns out to get the advantage.

Pau vs Howard doesn't work out because Pau can't play though (NBA finals vs Garnett).

I dont think Marc is ready for NBA calliber players, he could do some damage with Melo covering him but once Bosh gets in hes in trouble I think.

All 3 U.S. Point Guards are better then Calderon.

Silver: Spain, along with the U.S. no one will be able to beat them. (Some may come close though)

Bronze: Lithuania, They fight it out for bronze with Greece.

Just point out that Pau plays PF if Marc is out there. I suppose your prediction will still hold But yeah, I think the final should be USA vs Spain. Like in L.A.'84.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
Buffalobraves
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by berraco
Just point out that Pau plays PF if Marc is out there. I suppose your prediction will still hold But yeah, I think the final should be USA vs Spain. Like in L.A.'84.
Oh, is Marc really bigger? I've never really seen him play that much.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:14 PM   #7
simasu01
Decent playground baller

simasu01 has an OK reputation so far

Well, since everyone is saying their national team will win, I will too.
1. Lithuania - it has to happen this summer, because the main core won't be there anymore(Ilgauskas never was a part, but the main players always are Jasikevicius, and Songaila, and for sure they will quit international basketball. Kleiza has been motivating everyone and looks to be the next leader. We have a good squad, all we need is a back up point guard, we'll be fine, just not if Giedrius Gustas plays, he didn't fit with the national team last year.
2. Spain - I think they will choke again, I see them going undefeated again, and losing in the final. I won't be surprised if they win, but I think they will lose a narrow game. There would be some great match ups, Calderon vs. Jasikevicius, Rudy v Siskauskas, Lavrinovic twins vs. Gasol brothers, etc.
3. Argentina or USA - If Manu Ginobili plays, I would take Argentina, if not, USA. Also it really depends on the semis. If a semi would be USA vs. ESP and ARG vs. LTU, I would take ESP and LTU in the final. If USA vs. ARG and ESP vs. LTU, I would say USA and LTU, and finally if it is USA vs. LTU and ESP vs. ARG, I would take LTU vs. ESP. In other words, I don't see Argentina advancing to the finals without Ginobili. But these are the top 4, I have no doubt.
simasu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #8
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobraves
Oh, is Marc really bigger? I've never really seen him play that much.

Not sure if he is 7.0 or 7.1, but he is much stronger than Pau. Marc is a true center, in fact. Pau is a PF forced to play the C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simasu01
Also it really depends on the semis. If a semi would be USA vs. ESP and ARG vs. LTU, I would take ESP and LTU in the final. If USA vs. ARG and ESP vs. LTU, I would say USA and LTU, and finally if it is USA vs. LTU and ESP vs. ARG, I would take LTU vs. ESP. In other words, I don't see Argentina advancing to the finals without Ginobili. But these are the top 4, I have no doubt.
If I'm not wrong since Spain and USA play in the same group they shouldn't face each other again until the final.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:25 AM   #9
Buffalobraves
Local High School Star

Quote:
Not sure if he is 7.0 or 7.1, but he is much stronger than Pau. Marc is a true center, in fact. Pau is a PF forced to play the C.

Hopefully I get to like him more then his soft brother.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:54 AM   #10
simasu01
Decent playground baller

Quote:

If I'm not wrong since Spain and USA play in the same group they shouldn't face each other again until the final.

Pau Gasol is not an American type of player. What I mean is he isn't a so-called banger, he doesn't crash rebounds or use his full strength to play the game, and US coaches don't understand that there can be different style big men, like Nowitzki or Ilgauskas. Pau Gasol is a good shooter from his range, and he's good inside, but his brother went to school in the US, and I'm sure coaches taught him the American way of playing center, and personally, I prefer players like Pau, because he uses more skill rather than strength.

As for the teams in the same group, I don't know how the system works after groups, therefore I gave many examples of how the final rounds would turn out. If you are right, I am not liking the situation for Lithuania, who would then, if they advance to the semis, play most likely Spain or USA, if they advance also.
I just checked online, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketb...ockout_St age, this shows that it is possible for teams from the same group cannot meet in the quarterfinals, but it is a possibility to meet in the semis, for example if Spain finishes first in the group, and USA is third, they can meet in the semis. I'm sure you will understand the way it works when you look at the format, if you already don't. But it is very unlikely that either USA or Spain would finish third. Same goes to Lithuania and Argentina.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:31 PM   #11
berraco
Darko The Ripper

^^ You're fully rigth in everything you said. I was thinking in USA and Spain being first and second in the group, that's why I said they will only meet in the finals, but yeah, if that doesn't happens they could face each other in the semis.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:46 PM   #12
simasu01
Decent playground baller

I agree with you, while I would also just assume that they would be top 2, there is still a possibility, which I am praying to that it will happen that either USA or Spain will slip, it is a slim chance, but I'm hoping group B will get Greece and Croatia or Slovenia, while A gets Brazil or Slovenia. Hopefully, one of these teams will beat the US, and I'm sure Spain can, and hopefully will, which would likely help the US slip.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:44 AM   #13
ClintDogg
I airball my layups

ClintDogg has an OK reputation so far

Australia will feature in the Silver or bronze medals.
ClintDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:08 AM   #14
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Well, they were saying today that it is a good possibility that Manu could play. That puts Argentina right in the thick of things.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:53 AM   #15
simasu01
Decent playground baller

If Manu plays, I see Argentina finishing likely second, possibly first in the group. They aren't bad without him, but they wouldn't go far.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: