Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 07-18-2008, 12:42 PM   #16
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Nets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Beijing 2008

I want Yi and Yao to dominate
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #17
Grinder

Grinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

1.) USA - Can't see this team not getting the gold if they play anywhere near as well as they're capable of. My only concern with team is if Dwight Howard gets into foul trouble and having only one true big, I'm also not too crazy about Melo starting at the four, but he'll definitely pose match up problems. The US ran into a lot of trouble with the zone internationally the last few years, but now we've got Kobe, Redd, Melo, and Deron Williams to bust the zones and space the floor.

2.) Greece - These guys are absolute beasts defensively and play with a high basketball IQ. I think of them as the Detroit Pistons of FIBA, play together extremely well as a team and physically punish the opponents on both defense and offense. Theo Papaloukas is an excellent point guard and should come out on top of every point guard he's matched up against except for Deron Williams and maybe Chris Paul. His size (6'7") will give opposing point guards a lot of trouble defending him and his court vision is nasty. Spanoulis will also provide a lot of depth in the back court but he'll be destroyed by Kobe and Navarro should get the better of him as well. I think this team has the most depth after US with Diamantidis, Fotsis, and Schortsanitis also potent offensive threats.

3.) Spain - the best set of players after the US and should be too much for any opposing team. Calderon is an excellent point guard, Navarro is a lights out sharp shooter, Garbajosa is tough 3 man, Pau Gasol will provide a lot of match up problems at the 4 and should really give Melo hell when they play, and Marc Gasol is a good true center.

Germany, Argentina, and Lithuania will all scrap out it out for the fourth spot, but I think Argentina comes out on top here, with Germany possibly scoring a big upset in this tourney.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:30 PM   #18
la bomba
Local High School Star

la bomba has an OK reputation so far

Spain just beat portugal 84 35.I know portugal are not the best of side but they did make it to the euros and actually beat croatia so they are no mugs.that is a hell of a score.I think Papaloukas is has nothing to envy Williams or Paul.I think Spain's point guards are quality too.Raul Lopez has improved an amazing deal the last year he is at his best ever.He did have some good performances with Utah but now he is an even better player.Calderon we know about and Ricky Rubio will be a nightmare for any p.g trying to attack against his excellent defense.Garbajos plays as a 4 for Spain very rarely plays as a 3 .
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #19
Grinder

Grinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by la bomba
Spain just beat portugal 84 35.I know portugal are not the best of side but they did make it to the euros and actually beat croatia so they are no mugs.that is a hell of a score.I think Papaloukas is has nothing to envy Williams or Paul.I think Spain's point guards are quality too.Raul Lopez has improved an amazing deal the last year he is at his best ever.He did have some good performances with Utah but now he is an even better player.Calderon we know about and Ricky Rubio will be a nightmare for any p.g trying to attack against his excellent defense.Garbajos plays as a 4 for Spain very rarely plays as a 3 .

Ricky Rubio is playing? Damn, that's some depth at the PG with Calderon, Rubio and Raul Lopez. To be honest, I think Garbajosa will be playing the three with both Gasol's in the starting lineup, they might bring Marc off the bench though. I think Papaloukas' size will be a tough cover for Paul and Williams, Kidd should be able to handle him though.

Greece has been the most impressive to me in the qualifying so far. Those guys play zone to a perfection.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:34 AM   #20
Hanso
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Hanso has an OK reputation so far

it must be said that portugal was able to score 34 points just because spain stopped playing after the end of the third quarter when portugal was stiill 18 points

the game was mostly a televised training, in which most of spain starters did not even play
Hanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:14 AM   #21
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanso
it must be said that portugal was able to score 34 points just because spain stopped playing after the end of the third quarter when portugal was stiill 18 points

the game was mostly a televised training, in which most of spain starters did not even play
Yep Navarro and Pau Gasol did not play and calderon only played 3 minutes.I think Rubio's greatest attribute is his defence.I think he will play great defence against papaloukas and Paul or wiliams.Garbajosa will always accompany one of the Gasol's they very rarely play together,though that was with Pepu Hernandez,with Aito as coach I am not sure,he did use Jagla and sonseca together at DKV so it wouldn't be the 1st time he plays with a pair of 7footers.
Calderon Navarro Jimenez Garbajosa and Pau.
As a second team capable of beating most other nations,
Raul Lopez/or Ricky Rubio,Berni/Mumbru,Rudy,Reyes and Marc Gasol.
Great depth.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:27 AM   #22
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

Disclaimer: this list more of how I want things to turn out, rather than my actual predictions :)

Gold
Spain - As everyone is pointing the roster looks pretty good. Besides, most of the main players have been playing together for a while (some dating back to u-18 national teams), so the team chemistry is damn good. Their veterans are still in a good age, with a good addition of young talent.

Silver
Argentina - all their main pieces will be playing: Ginobili, Scola, Nocioni, Oberto, Delfino. Only player I miss is Pepe Sanchez. Hopefully Prigioni can handle the job. Same case as Spain, their core players know each other well, and have enjoyed a good chemistry. They've proven they know what it takes to win.

Bronze
I wouldn't mind seeing Serbia or Lithuania here. Or even Greece. You know, I'm a diehard NBA fan but in international basketball, little anti-usa me surfaces
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:15 AM   #23
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial
Disclaimer: this list more of how I want things to turn out, rather than my actual predictions :)

Gold
Spain - As everyone is pointing the roster looks pretty good. Besides, most of the main players have been playing together for a while (some dating back to u-18 national teams), so the team chemistry is damn good. Their veterans are still in a good age, with a good addition of young talent.

Silver
Argentina - all their main pieces will be playing: Ginobili, Scola, Nocioni, Oberto, Delfino. Only player I miss is Pepe Sanchez. Hopefully Prigioni can handle the job. Same case as Spain, their core players know each other well, and have enjoyed a good chemistry. They've proven they know what it takes to win.

Bronze
I wouldn't mind seeing Serbia or Lithuania here. Or even Greece. You know, I'm a diehard NBA fan but in international basketball, little anti-usa me surfaces
I think Greece will do well.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:47 PM   #24
la bomba
Local High School Star

Spain have absoloutely blasted Russia in a friendly.91 -56.
apparently Pau and Marc played together for spells with Pau as a 4.I must say I didn't see the match.Aito does like to use to big men so it might be something that spain, with him as coach ,might do differently.I don't think Navarro played,maybe a few minutes but didn't score.If Spain can beat Russia by that many without one of their top scorers,I think we can say Spain will be tough to beat.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:40 AM   #25
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by la bomba
Spain have absoloutely blasted Russia in a friendly.91 -56.
apparently Pau and Marc played together for spells with Pau as a 4.I must say I didn't see the match.Aito does like to use to big men so it might be something that spain, with him as coach ,might do differently.I don't think Navarro played,maybe a few minutes but didn't score.If Spain can beat Russia by that many without one of their top scorers,I think we can say Spain will be tough to beat.

Spain's defense is being absolutely terrific. Aito puts even more pressure on this than Hernandez did, and that is going to be the key of Spain's success. Everyone is playing at a very high level. Navarro played something in the 4th.
On tuesday they play Argentina, that's going to be a real hint about the strength of the spanish team, because I always thought that Russia was not a rival for Spain (even if they won the Eurobasket, current Spain would win 8 out of 10 games between them IMO)
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:28 AM   #26
R.I.P.
NBA lottery pick

R.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by berraco
Spain's defense is being absolutely terrific. Aito puts even more pressure on this than Hernandez did, and that is going to be the key of Spain's success. Everyone is playing at a very high level. Navarro played something in the 4th.
On tuesday they play Argentina, that's going to be a real hint about the strength of the spanish team, because I always thought that Russia was not a rival for Spain (even if they won the Eurobasket, current Spain would win 8 out of 10 games between them IMO)

Russia deserves all the credit for pulling it out, but I agree. If Id put the Olympic field in order of strength Id say

Tier 1

USA
Spain
Greece

Tier 2

Argentina

Tier 3

Russia
Lithuania
Croatia
Germany

Tier 4

China
Australia

Angola
Iran

Angola/Iran will lose all games. Australia will beat Iran. China have a shot to beat Germany or Croatia. Argentina can beat or lose to all teams directly above or below, depending on the health of Ginboili. Id be surprised, if not all three medals go to Greece, Spain, USA and Argentina. I think one will be upset in the quarters or even play against each other, but I cant see another tier 3 team beating two of the top teams twice to win a medal.

And I think they either should expand to 16 teams to make room for Puerto Rico, Brazil, Slovenia, France, Italy or have a play-off between Australia, Angola and Iran.
R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #27
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.P.
Russia deserves all the credit for pulling it out, but I agree.

Absolutely, they did what the necessary to win, and there is no discussion they deserved the victory.

On your list, I would put Argentina in tier 1. Current Olympic champions and 4th in the las WCs is enough for them to be there.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:11 AM   #28
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:
Russia deserves all the credit for pulling it out, but I agree. If Id put the Olympic field in order of strength Id say

Tier 1

USA
Spain
Greece

Tier 2

Argentina

Tier 3

Russia
Lithuania
Croatia
Germany

Tier 4

China
Australia

Angola
Iran

Angola/Iran will lose all games. Australia will beat Iran. China have a shot to beat Germany or Croatia. Argentina can beat or lose to all teams directly above or below, depending on the health of Ginboili. Id be surprised, if not all three medals go to Greece, Spain, USA and Argentina. I think one will be upset in the quarters or even play against each other, but I cant see another tier 3 team beating two of the top teams twice to win a medal.

And I think they either should expand to 16 teams to make room for Puerto Rico, Brazil, Slovenia, France, Italy or have a play-off between Australia, Angola and Iran.
I agree with your tiers.Like Berraco though ,Spain would beat rusia(i would say 9 out of 10 times)most times and the eurobasket,without taking any credit away from russia ,was a total one off.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:41 AM   #29
R.I.P.
NBA lottery pick

R.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by berraco
Absolutely, they did what the necessary to win, and there is no discussion they deserved the victory.

On your list, I would put Argentina in tier 1. Current Olympic champions and 4th in the las WCs is enough for them to be there.

Probably, its just from a German perspective, because we always play Argentina tight, while Greece always kill us with their defense and big guards, while Team USA uses their depth and athletism. We actually were able to beat and play Spain tough, too. At least until they spanked us the last time around.
R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:47 PM   #30
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Quote:
Probably, its just from a German perspective, because we always play Argentina tight, while Greece always kill us with their defense and big guards, while Team USA uses their depth and athletism. We actually were able to beat and play Spain tough, too. At least until they spanked us the last time around.
I remember that too. Nowitzki was outstanding that day.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: