Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 08-22-2008, 11:24 PM   #346
simasu01
Decent playground baller

simasu01 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Beijing 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlsian
"I was sarcastic about using the 'we don't have our best players excuse,' because I would never use it, hence the "If I were to use the American excuse.'"

Yeah, I bet. And, if I were to use the "European" comeback, I would say, "You're just making excuses for your team's incompetence. And, you do that because you are arrogant." Of course, I would never say something like that. But, you know...
Yeah, and if you even took a glance at the final score, never mind the game, you see no competitveness whatsoever. I said the better team won, so where's my arrogance?
simasu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:35 PM   #347
simasu01
Decent playground baller

simasu01 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax
exactly, everyone knows back in 2004 two the best teams played for bronze medal...however they should have played in the final, just one team wasn't coached and prepared properly for international game, and the other just got damn unlucky with red hot italians...when the other team hits like 20/30 three pointers, you know you are screwed anyway this USA team is just too dominant on the boards, everyone is hustling, even guards, no way they will lose to the masters of the flopping
Don't forget to mention that the Chinese are the biggest American ass kissers, just look at the crowd, except for the China-USA game, I loved how Kazlauskas said way back when they played then-Yugoslavia or Serbia Montenegro, he was trying to tell the guys to give extra attention to Bodiroga, but not a single player knew who he was, but they knew scrubs like Milicic or Jaric, because they are NBAers. There's David Stern for you, absolutely dominating the market, if you don't know Bodiroga, I don't know how you play or watch basketball. Anyway, this was a final everyone except Lithuanians and Argentinians wanted, so there we have it. USA should be heavily favored by the refs tomorrow, we could always see a surprise though, but I expect a huge, huge blowout, 30-40 points, call me whatever you want, but this game, Spain will be crushed. I have no doubt Americans want to show they are dominant, I do have a feeling Spain might give USA a battle, if it was a healthy Argentina playing, I'd say the game would be very close and either team could win it. But these guys are nothing like that, especially Spanish acting, these guys are better at it than Italians, whether football or basketball. Nominated for the best acting team in sports: team Spain, 2008 Olympics. As for the last year semi-final comment, couldn't agree more. I don't understand, 5 straight semi final losses, last 2 coming after we beat our group.
simasu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:46 PM   #348
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.jerk
I have a gut feeling team usa isn't going to get a call next game

Then I guess not much will be different from many of the other games.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:31 AM   #349
b.jerk
High School JV MVP

b.jerk has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
Then I guess not much will be different from many of the other games.

Bull****
b.jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:45 AM   #350
Grinder

Grinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Bull****
'

True, US have been robbed by the officiating the whole tourney
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:57 AM   #351
Rawlsian
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Rawlsian has an OK reputation so far

"Yeah, and if you even took a glance at the final score, never mind the game, you see no competitveness whatsoever. I said the better team won, so where's my arrogance?"

No, no, no...I was being sarcastic. I would never actually use that comeback. Hence, the "if I were to use the 'European' comeback."

"...if it was a healthy Argentina playing (against the U.S.), I'd say the game would be very close and either team could win it."

So, you're saying that if Argentina's best players were playing to their fullest.....hmmm...Pot. Kettle. Black.

Last edited by Rawlsian : 08-23-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Rawlsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:38 AM   #352
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Bull****

You're right, it's bull**** how the refs can be so biased against the US. The team has played above it so far. I'm actually glad Carmello showed some emotion this game. Teams have been taking cheap shots at the US knocking them down the whole tournament. The US has been trying to play "nice" since they know they have a target on their backs. I'm happy that Carmello finally stood up and said they aren't going to take it anymore.

As for Argentina, they played better without Ginobli. This is no slam to Ginobli either. He is a great player. The fact of the matter is when the team saw him go down, they were inspired and the rest of the guys played beyond what they typically do. I would have rather faced Argentina with a healthy Ginobli than with the fire they showed after he went down.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:38 AM   #353
Icecube88

Lol I have never heard of "LeBronze" but I have heard of "LeBrick" from Skip Bayless (I hate that guy) on 1st and 10.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:41 AM   #354
madmax
Decent college freshman

madmax is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by simasu01
Don't forget to mention that the Chinese are the biggest American ass kissers, just look at the crowd, except for the China-USA game, I loved how Kazlauskas said way back when they played then-Yugoslavia or Serbia Montenegro, he was trying to tell the guys to give extra attention to Bodiroga, but not a single player knew who he was, but they knew scrubs like Milicic or Jaric, because they are NBAers. There's David Stern for you, absolutely dominating the market, if you don't know Bodiroga, I don't know how you play or watch basketball. Anyway, this was a final everyone except Lithuanians and Argentinians wanted, so there we have it. USA should be heavily favored by the refs tomorrow, we could always see a surprise though, but I expect a huge, huge blowout, 30-40 points, call me whatever you want, but this game, Spain will be crushed. I have no doubt Americans want to show they are dominant, I do have a feeling Spain might give USA a battle, if it was a healthy Argentina playing, I'd say the game would be very close and either team could win it. But these guys are nothing like that, especially Spanish acting, these guys are better at it than Italians, whether football or basketball. Nominated for the best acting team in sports: team Spain, 2008 Olympics. As for the last year semi-final comment, couldn't agree more. I don't understand, 5 straight semi final losses, last 2 coming after we beat our group.
I think our team's biggest issue is rebounding and we so damn turnover prone. Putting aside the referree thing, which is obvious since we are not a powerhouse country by any means and nobody gives a *** about us, thus if a game is close all the calls are going to bigger countries. That said I can live with it, since our basketball school is still the best in the world and we are best shooters on this planet...when you think about, we were missing one player to overcome spanish flopping - Songaila. His hustling plays and post presence would put us away from them, but I'm already making excuses, so I better stop. We still should be proud of our basketball, we are playing the proper and honest way, with no cheap shots or flopping, so there's nothing to be ashamed of, we will get the bronze, no doubt about it.
madmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:14 AM   #355
dd24
College superstar

Well said. Even the size thing can't be an excuse at this point. We already beat them and it wasn't a close game, so we did it then without size. The team that comes the most prepared will win this game. If Spain can force the US into a half court set and not allow them to fast break they have a chance. If the US has great D (as they have for most of the Olympics) and force some turnovers they will get their fastbreak points and win. Argentina showed that if they don't allow the US to get easy turnovers that result in those fast break points they can hold the score closer. I think they learned some things from Argentina too. Still, they will have a tough time stopping the US.

Whether you hate the US team or not, there is one thing you have to admit. They came into this tournament with a style of play that was different from the rest. It was based on what they were good at. In 04 Larry Brown did not work with his teams strengths, but they did this time around. They built a team that was based on fast athletic players, rather than having guys who were better in the half court NBA type offense. It was also based around defense. They took their style of play and made the international players adjust to it, rather than the opposite. In 04, Larry Brown made the players adjust to the international game. I blame 04 more on Brown than the players (even though they were far from the best). This year whether they win or lose the next game, we can know it was based on a style of play that they team could succeed with. I guess my main point is Coach K > Larry Brown.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:16 AM   #356
dd24
College superstar

Here's just my quick perspective on the turnovers.... When the US gets comfortable like they did in the first quarter today, it leads them to do things they normally wouldn't. I think the worst thing that could happen to the US is for them to jump out to a big lead. Let the game be close in the first quarter and let them take command of the game midway through the second.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:52 AM   #357
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation

OMG, now Spain won because they are floppers and good actors. So US won because all the travel violations non-called, I guess, since the argentinian are masters of flopping also.
Stop making excuses. Lithuania should re-think how they play the last quarter, because they always lose the track in the moment of truth, while Spain looked better in the fourth. Don't blame anyone apart from their coach and players.
As for the final, I don't see many chances for Spain to get the gold. Spain looks better playing hard D and running the break but you can not fight the US with these weapons. They have to try to slow down the game and play a lot with the bigs, because that hurted the US yesterday, and Argentina only had Scola, while Spain have both Gasol and Reyes. Then they will need a high % in the 3s, which is difficult to foresee looking to what they have done in the tournament. I don't expect everything to happen, so probably US will win by 20+. Silver is good for Spain, mainly because they have played far away from the level they showed in 2006 or in last Eurobasket, even if they lose that one.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:29 AM   #358
dd24
College superstar

If the US traveled so much it would have to be called more. So far I have only seen Paul called for one questionable travel while trying to split two defenders (which he did).

I'm not saying that Spain doesn't play good D but are you saying that the US hasn't? Besides Argentina they have done this to a great extent. That is how they are winning games. How is it that Spain plays better D and runs the break better?

All I'm saying is that it's anybody's game. I see why you all root against the US. You have for every post, and I would be disappointed if you didn't (and I know you said what you thought the outcome would be but I also know what you want it to be).
Old 08-23-2008, 08:41 AM   #359
la bomba
Local High School Star

la bomba has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
If the US traveled so much it would have to be called more. So far I have only seen Paul called for one questionable travel while trying to split two defenders (which he did).

I'm not saying that Spain doesn't play good D but are you saying that the US hasn't? Besides Argentina they have done this to a great extent. That is how they are winning games. How is it that Spain plays better D and runs the break better?

All I'm saying is that it's anybody's game. I see why you all root against the US. You have for every post, and I would be disappointed if you didn't (and I know you said what you thought the outcome would be but I also know what you want it to be).
If you read Berracos'post he says that Spain's strength are great D and running the fast break,but against USA those weapons won't work,because,I assume,he assumes USA are the best at that.So in no way do I read that he is suggesting that Spain are better than the US at those things.Anyway I am sure he will reply himself.it reads pretty obvious to me though.
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:29 AM   #360
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by la bomba
If you read Berracos'post he says that Spain's strength are great D and running the fast break,but against USA those weapons won't work,because,I assume,he assumes USA are the best at that.So in no way do I read that he is suggesting that Spain are better than the US at those things.Anyway I am sure he will reply himself.it reads pretty obvious to me though.

That's exactly my point. How can you try to beat running a team that is such comfortable with the highest game pace? You will not suceed, as a general rule.

Quote:

As I said and la bomba understood well, what I meant is that Spain's best moments in the games are when they stress the defense and run the break. They look much better than when playing in a slower pace, although they are still capable they are not that dominant. Clear example is yesterday's match, the 2nd and 3rd quarter Spain had a lot of trouble scoring in half court plays, while in the 4th they defended stronger and run a bit more, getting the win with that. I wasn't comparing them to any other team, and even less with the US, who are the masters of D+break due to their superior athleticism. Nobody can compete with that.

Quote:

The traveling thing was just an example for some posters that think Spain won Lithuania because they flop and are protected by the refs. It's like saying the US won because they travel on many fast breaks (which is true, mainly because it is allowed in the NBA). It is not true, and everyone that watched the games (both semis) should acknowledge that. But some people love to find excuses instead of looking what their teams have done wrongly.

Quote:
All I'm saying is that it's anybody's game. I see why you all root against the US. You have for every post, and I would be disappointed if you didn't (and I know you said what you thought the outcome would be but I also know what you want it to be)

Well I'm rooting for Spain because I'm spanish. I don't know for who will be rooting if they weren't in the final. Maybe no one, I would just watch the game and enjoy. I'm not one of the US haters just because they are the US. I don't like some things they do as players, some attitudes they had in the past, and lack of respect they showed some time ago, but nothing else.

Last edited by berraco : 08-23-2008 at 09:43 AM.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: