Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 08-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #361
simasu01
Decent playground baller

simasu01 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Beijing 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
Whether you hate the US team or not, there is one thing you have to admit. They came into this tournament with a style of play that was different from the rest. It was based on what they were good at. In 04 Larry Brown did not work with his teams strengths, but they did this time around. They built a team that was based on fast athletic players, rather than having guys who were better in the half court NBA type offense. It was also based around defense. They took their style of play and made the international players adjust to it, rather than the opposite. In 04, Larry Brown made the players adjust to the international game. I blame 04 more on Brown than the players (even though they were far from the best). This year whether they win or lose the next game, we can know it was based on a style of play that they team could succeed with. I guess my main point is Coach K > Larry Brown.
Great point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berraco
OMG, now Spain won because they are floppers and good actors. So US won because all the travel violations non-called, I guess, since the argentinian are masters of flopping also.
Stop making excuses. Lithuania should re-think how they play the last quarter, because they always lose the track in the moment of truth, while Spain looked better in the fourth. Don't blame anyone apart from their coach and players.
As for the final, I don't see many chances for Spain to get the gold. Spain looks better playing hard D and running the break but you can not fight the US with these weapons. They have to try to slow down the game and play a lot with the bigs, because that hurted the US yesterday, and Argentina only had Scola, while Spain have both Gasol and Reyes. Then they will need a high % in the 3s, which is difficult to foresee looking to what they have done in the tournament. I don't expect everything to happen, so probably US will win by 20+. Silver is good for Spain, mainly because they have played far away from the level they showed in 2006 or in last Eurobasket, even if they lose that one.
Sorry man, I got carried away on emotions, I did, however, acknowledge that the better team won, which is Spain. I did point out our mistakes and shortcomings, mostly Siskauskas. However, whether you agree or not, I believe Spain was favored by the referees, and in a close game like that, it really matters, it really could change the game, but, again, the stronger team won, unfortunately, we could have been stronger, more agressive, because the game was in our hands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by berraco
The traveling thing was just an example for some posters that think Spain won Lithuania because they flop and are protected by the refs. It's like saying the US won because they travel on many fast breaks (which is true, mainly because it is allowed in the NBA). It is not true, and everyone that watched the games (both semis) should acknowledge that. But some people love to find excuses instead of looking what their teams have done wrongly.

Well I'm rooting for Spain because I'm spanish. I don't know for who will be rooting if they weren't in the final. Maybe no one, I would just watch the game and enjoy. I'm not one of the US haters just because they are the US. I don't like some things they do as players, some attitudes they had in the past, and lack of respect they showed some time ago, but nothing else.
USA does travel all the time, it should be called, but isn't. There are NBA players playing for other teams that do that also, though. I think Kleiza was doing it too, for example. If those travels were called, USA would have lost at most 8-10 points a game, until they would catch on and take a dribble before running. But it should be either allowed for everyone, or not allowed at all, rules are rules, Americans aren't special, everyone is equal. Hopefully Spain wins, but I mentioned before, I almost have no doubt it will be a blowout, could be the worst one yet. That is if the US doesn't stop playing after a quarter. Hope to see a good game. As for the bronze medal, I think Lithuania will take it, Argentina is too crippled and Lithuania is too pissed off about yesterday, and the coach will surely lose his job if we lose, he's not a high level coach in the first place, since his job is in Riga, I think he coaches ASK Riga, clearly not a high level basketball league. However, we don't have many choices, so he might be better than someone completely new.
simasu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #362
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think Lithuania has a great shot at winning the bronze. Argentina played a tough and emotional game against the US. They definately stepped it up a notch when they saw Manu go down. Against Lithuania I don't think they will have that same intensity since Manu will have been out for two days. One things for sure though, Scola will get his. He's been a beast this tournament.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:21 PM   #363
b.jerk
High School JV MVP

b.jerk has an OK reputation so far

If spain gets the calls than they'll comfortably beat the spread
b.jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:54 AM   #364
Icecube88

Congrats Team USA for going undefeated and getting gold :) Spain put up a good battle also.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:54 AM   #365
la bomba
Local High School Star

la bomba has an OK reputation so far

Shame to see Lithuania once again not take as much as they probably deserved for the competition they have had,but credit to argentina for always playing above their possibilities!I love their attitude.Spain were great,to their credit they had the US playing as hard as they can for pretty much the whole game.I think Spain has done the rest of the basketballing world a great service by giving the americans a leveled game,hopefully they will understand now that other nations do play basketball and stop calling the NBA champs the world champs.It was a shame to see rudy go with 5 fouls because he was really in to the game and in the last minutes he is great.Also what a difference it makes for Spain when Navarro actually turns up.Ricky Rubio youngest ever olympian to win a medal at the olympics,can't believe he is 17!!mostly cause of his maturity.Especially when he got pissed off at the end and got a tech,thats character.congrats to Team USA.Spain and Argentina too.
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:56 AM   #366
Icecube88

Well I think they can officially say world champs now since they really are.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:58 AM   #367
la bomba
Local High School Star

la bomba has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecube88
Well I think they can officially say world champs now since they really are.
I am talking about NBA teams.like the boston celtics. the world champs is in turkey in 2010 by the way.usa are olympic champions.
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:02 AM   #368
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm not sure what the spread was but Spain must have beat it. That was a heck of a game. I don't think any of us expected that. Who would have thought JCN would be going to the lane whenever he wanted? Kobe and Wade were both spectacular. Kobe just has that killer instinct and we finally got to see it at the end of the game today. Spain put up a great battle today.

I think the entire Olympic basketball tournament was like that really. I think we can say that this year there was more talent on every team from first to last than there ever has been. Teams like China and Angola who nobody thought would put up a fight actually did. It's really come to the point that anything can happen in Olympic basketball because every team is now talented. I think every country can be proud of what their teams did.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:23 AM   #369
b.jerk
High School JV MVP

The only thing I hope for is that Fiba takes a look at the officiating in the near future, there was some questionable officiating around the spread. NBA is the most talented domestic league in the world but we all knew that and Kobe Bryant and Lebron James are the best players in the world but we knew that too. It will be interesting to see in two and four years because it's going to be different.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:30 AM   #370
Icecube88

Dwayne Wade looked like he played better than Kobe. Wade was more clutch than Kobe throughout the Olympics.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:39 AM   #371
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.jerk
The only thing I hope for is that Fiba takes a look at the officiating in the near future, there was some questionable officiating around the spread. NBA is the most talented domestic league in the world but we all knew that and Kobe Bryant and Lebron James are the best players in the world but we knew that too. It will be interesting to see in two and four years because it's going to be different.

I absolutely agree about the officiating. It is horribly inconsistent from one game to the next. There are way too many questionable calls.

As far as 2012 I still think the USA will be right in the thick of things. Lebron will be in his prime and will probably be back. Williams, Paul, Wade, Anthony, Bosh, and Howard could all be back too. That's more than half of the team. Kobe could be that teams Jason Kidd type player. He'll be at the end of his career but it's not like he won't be one of the best in the game. That's 8 out of 12 right there. Imagine if guys like Oden and Bynum develop into something special. They could have more size even.

I would predict they will probably lose the world championships again. I think they assemble about half of their team and they go to the championships in 2010. By 2012 their team will be completed and will be fully staffed with talent.

The biggest question mark is will Coach K do it again? There are indications he will not. Whose left to coach the team? We saw how devastating Larry Brown was to the team. They need a great coach. Phil Jackson comes to mind but he's not the international type. Team USA certainly isn't going to go to the olympics and run the triangle offense.

They really need Colanglo to put the team together again too. He is so amazing at putting teams together. We all questioned USA's size but he purposely did it. He put people together with a specific strategy of small ball this time around and it worked. Who would have thought having Lebron at PF for the better part of the Olympics would have been a good idea? He's a basketball genius. Jerry hasn't committed again yet. I think if he does we can be very hopeful again.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:43 AM   #372
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecube88
Dwayne Wade looked like he played better than Kobe. Wade was more clutch than Kobe throughout the Olympics.

That's very debateable. Wade had a great game today. Nobody can argue that. He came in during the first half when Lebron and Kobe got into foul trouble (cough... horrible calls.... cough) and took over the game. The USA definately needed that. When it came down to the wire though, Kobe was the man. He had that killer Kobe instinct he is known for. There was no way he was going to let the US let that game slip away. There were other games that Wade put up big numbers but Kobe hit the huge shots. To make a long story short, they needed each other to win gold (and the rest of their teammates as well). It was a team performance. Let's not turn this into an individual achievement.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:46 AM   #373
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.jerk

One more thing real quick.... You're right about Kobe and Lebron. Without them the team would have a silver medal. If that was Redd and Boozer in there the entire game it would have been a different outcome. Which is why the US will never be able to win with guys like Marbury, Odom, Marion, Iverson, etc like what happened in 04.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:46 AM   #374
b.jerk
High School JV MVP

It wouldn't surprise me if most of these guys pass on the next olympics like Jordan did and to be honest I'm kind of expecting that. The future depends on a lot of things not always in control of the organization, europe has it's political problems and other countries has it's problems with cronism and incompetence. A lot of things are possible and it will be interesting to see in 2 and 4 years.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:50 AM   #375
b.jerk
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
One more thing real quick.... You're right about Kobe and Lebron. Without them the team would have a silver medal. If that was Redd and Boozer in there the entire game it would have been a different outcome. Which is why the US will never be able to win with guys like Marbury, Odom, Marion, Iverson, etc like what happened in 04.

I would include Wade he had the best game of his career tonight. With James and Bryant you got two guys that give a **** and are good enough to make an impact, unfortunately that's not always the case in any organization.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: