Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 07-09-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
Venja42
Decent playground baller

Default Sixers have a TRADE EXCEPTION

People have to understand first that the Sixers DO NOT have a Mid-Level Exception. Like many have said, you can either have room under the cap or the MLE. You can't have both.

However, after the Carney-Booth trade, we have a trade exception worth about $2.8 Million. This can be used to acquire a player via trade that would help fill our roster. We need a shooter and a back-up point guard.

Any suggestions?? The one guy that comes to mind for me is Charlie Bell in Milwaukee, who can shoot, defend and run the show for a team. I don't think he would be available though.

At $2.8 Million, the Sixers cannot trade a player AND the exception together to acquire someone but they can combine cash or draft picks so $2.8M could actually be higher...
Venja42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
76ers4life
Decent playground baller

Default Re: Sixers have a TRADE EXCEPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venja42
People have to understand first that the Sixers DO NOT have a Mid-Level Exception. Like many have said, you can either have room under the cap or the MLE. You can't have both.

However, after the Carney-Booth trade, we have a trade exception worth about $2.8 Million. This can be used to acquire a player via trade that would help fill our roster. We need a shooter and a back-up point guard.

Any suggestions?? The one guy that comes to mind for me is Charlie Bell in Milwaukee, who can shoot, defend and run the show for a team. I don't think he would be available though.

At $2.8 Million, the Sixers cannot trade a player AND the exception together to acquire someone but they can combine cash or draft picks so $2.8M could actually be higher...
What is a mle and a trade exception i'm a football man trying to learn the ropes of the nba. The nba is very difficult with their low salary cap and rules. I just don't see how you can build a team with this low of a salary cap. I wouldn't make it as a G.M for one day in the nba.
76ers4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ers4life
What is a mle and a trade exception i'm a football man trying to learn the ropes of the nba. The nba is very difficult with their low salary cap and rules. I just don't see how you can build a team with this low of a salary cap. I wouldn't make it as a G.M for one day in the nba.
MLE is about 5.5 million a year that is given to every team to sign a free agent. The thing is it depends if you already have more than that amount under the salary cap. If you're 5.5 mil or more under the salary cap, you just get to use money you have under the cap to sign a free agent. If you have 5.5 mil or less under the cap, then the NBA grants you the Mid Level Exception which allows you to go out and get a decent player. Usually you won't get more than a just a decent player, or you can split the money between 2 players.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ers4life
The trade exception is something you rarely hear about, and I don't understand it fully really because it's rare that it's used.

But here's what I know. When you trade with another team, the players' salaries have to match within 15% of eachother. You can't trade a player that's making 15 mil a year for a player making 3 mil a year, even if they're of equal talent.

Here's an example from a recent trade with the sixers

Sixers traded Rodney Carney/Calvin Booth/1st rounder to the T'Wolves for a 2nd rounder and 2.8 mil trade exception. Because Carney/Booth's contracts would equal somewhere around 4 mil, the trade can't happen because the Sixers would end up trading 4 mil for the T'Wolves nothing. When the T'Wolves added their trade exception, now it's about 4 mil being traded for the 2.8 mil, so it's legal.

I can't tell you how where the trade exceptions come from or how you get them because I really don't know.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #5
76ers4life
Decent playground baller

Thanks posterize 246
76ers4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:15 AM   #6
wally_world
M0derator

Michael Finley! basically someone who can play the 2 and the 3...

btw is Rodney Carney still with the team?
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:51 AM   #7
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_world

um no we dealt him before we signed Brand
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_world

and you're ISH's best poster?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
artificial
:-P

I'm tempted to erase the 3 posts above... and no, it's not because of sixerfan nor posterize...
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial
I'm tempted to erase the 3 posts above... and no, it's not because of sixerfan nor posterize...

hahaha be my guest
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: