Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2008, 03:50 AM   #31
b.jerk
High School JV MVP
 
b.jerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 656
b.jerk has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Who Wins? College vs Euro

I'm not going to count the US out in basketball and in fact I think the US is the favorite. The competition for the US will be a lot better than as recent as 2006.
b.jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:23 AM   #32
R.I.P.
NBA lottery pick
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,630
R.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Who Wins? College vs Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
A Euroleague team and an Olympic team are completely different things. If you think the NBA couldn't win you are dead wrong. You know very well that they didn't even come close to sending their best the past few years.

Here's one thing that keeps getting me too. Help me figure this out. When Argentina is the team that beats the US in 04 how is that even a European country????? Quit pretending Argentina is somehow European. It's not. Argentina had a great team. Those players come to the NBA and do well. They are great athletes. You guys bring up the Euroleague, try to bash the olympic team, and somehow forget that Argentina was the team that knocked team USA out of gold medal contention. I congratulate them. Not a single person from Argentina has felt the need to come on the board and say how bad team USA sucks. They are good sports. The US beat Lithuania and Spain who were two very good teams in 04. Yes Lithuania got them once but the US got them when it mattered with a team that was scrambled to get put together with mostly NBA rookies. If those rookies can go in and win a medal against that type of competition, I think the college teams can compete at a high level.

eprizzle14, that was a great post about the CSKA lineup and my point exactly. Langdon is a star over there, but he couldn't make it in the NBA.

Read my post. He said Kansas would beat CSKA, so I said, if the best NBA players lose to national teams for the last couple of years, how can a team of college boys beat what is basically a national team in CSKA. They canīt. And just because Langdon plays in Europe, doesnīt mean he couldnīt play in the NBA. Maybe he feels being a star, winning championships and making 3-4 million euros a year is better than playing 30 minutes for the Grizzlies making 4-5 million dollars. Some people act like every college player from Kansas or Memphis will make it to the NBA; when the truth is most could only dream about the money Langdon makes playing professional basketball.
R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #33
b.jerk
High School JV MVP
 
b.jerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 656
b.jerk has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Who Wins? College vs Euro

Isn't it weird that CSKA has become the most capitalist team in the world, everyone in their arena dresses like a millionaire. They're like the New York Yankees of basketball they can buy anything or anyone.
b.jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #34
simasu01
Decent playground baller
 
simasu01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: LT>>NJ>>??
Posts: 376
simasu01 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Who Wins? College vs Euro

dd24, I respect your opinion, but nobody is really "bashing" the USA basketball, whether national or pro, we are mostly pointing out the parts of the game that need to be improved, and if they don't, then the Euroleague will be better, not overnight, but it will be better.
Before Jennings even got his scores, he cited that the level of play is higher in Europe, and that he would want to play against higher competition. He probably knew he failed the test, but college wasn't first on his list, at least the way they put it in the article. Since he is one of the top high school prospects, I don't see why you hope he would be a bust, maybe he would be really good, due to the Euroleague being a 15, 16 year old league, right?
Surely the NBA has accomplished much, but in recent years, not so much. People forget about how players behave with women, all these fights in games, primarily Pistons-Pacers, then this refereeing scandal(s), and really, the popularity has gone down, look at the ratings for Cavs-Spurs final, and don't blame the last episode of the Sopranos. I think marketing and expansion(going to China, etc.) are really helping the league, and these are the main downsides to Euroleague, marketing is terrible, and expansion isn't moving.
One thing I really dislike about the NBA is the lottery system. Horrible teams, such as New York, keep being awarded for losing. They don't do **** about it. Same goes to the teams that never do anything to improve, such as the Bobcats, who should be taken away the right to draft for these dumb decisions. Also the Bucks, the Timberwolves, who made only one good decision, and that was in 1995, by the way, a high schooler. I'm not blaming good organizations such as the Bulls or the Celtics, you can't win forever, but if there is a lottery, it shouldn't award losing, whether it is the Lakers, the Bulls, or the Bobcats.
Players get better, I don't understand how they wouldn't. The scores are really inflated though, and yes, fouls are overcalled. The main reason for higher scores in the NBA than in Europe is the 8 minute difference and defence rules.
Who called Argentina a European country? They are Europeans, but not from Europe, sort of like white people in the USA. But neither are European.

Last edited by simasu01 : 07-16-2008 at 12:28 PM.
simasu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:06 PM   #35
eprizzle14
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 233
eprizzle14 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Who Wins? College vs Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.P.
Papaloukas plays for Greece, Holden and Khryapa for Russia, Smodis for Slovenia, Siskauskas for Lithuania, Planicic for Croatia, Zisis for Greece. Except for the Americans (Andersen/Langdon) they are all featured players of strong national teams, so how is that NOT a national team? You act like the whole Kansas team 1 through 10 will be drafted and have successful NBA careers. CSKA goes ten deep with pros. Langdon had a better collge career than half the Kansas roster and for one reason or another he ended up being an elite (paid) player in Europe.
Trajon is smart for playing in Europe where he can use his superior athleticism to take it to the rack because in the NBA he just an undersized 2 guard. Hey has Dahantay Jones been playing over there I bet he'd tear it up in europe. If any of the guys you mentioned were good dont you think theyd have NBA careers.
eprizzle14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #36
dd24
College superstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,914
dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Who Wins? College vs Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.P.
Read my post. He said Kansas would beat CSKA, so I said, if the best NBA players lose to national teams for the last couple of years, how can a team of college boys beat what is basically a national team in CSKA. They canīt. And just because Langdon plays in Europe, doesnīt mean he couldnīt play in the NBA. Maybe he feels being a star, winning championships and making 3-4 million euros a year is better than playing 30 minutes for the Grizzlies making 4-5 million dollars. Some people act like every college player from Kansas or Memphis will make it to the NBA; when the truth is most could only dream about the money Langdon makes playing professional basketball.

So you're saying CSKA can beat a national team. No way. They aren't a national team. That's like me saying the Boston Celtics would beat our Olympic team. It's not going to happen. Langdon can't play over here. That's why he doesn't. No, not every one of those players on Memphis or Kansas will be stars. I know they won't. They were at least good enough to get a shot. If there are 5 or 6 guys on a team who are good enough to get a shot in the NBA and only 2 or 3 on another I would say the team with 5 or 6 has a legit chance at beating the other team. I never said Kansas would dominate the Euroleague. I did say they would be able to be competitive. You guys seem to think they would get crushed. They have a legit chance at winning.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:10 PM   #37
dd24
College superstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,914
dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Who Wins? College vs Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by simasu01
dd24, I respect your opinion, but nobody is really "bashing" the USA basketball, whether national or pro, we are mostly pointing out the parts of the game that need to be improved, and if they don't, then the Euroleague will be better, not overnight, but it will be better.
Before Jennings even got his scores, he cited that the level of play is higher in Europe, and that he would want to play against higher competition. He probably knew he failed the test, but college wasn't first on his list, at least the way they put it in the article. Since he is one of the top high school prospects, I don't see why you hope he would be a bust, maybe he would be really good, due to the Euroleague being a 15, 16 year old league, right?
Surely the NBA has accomplished much, but in recent years, not so much. People forget about how players behave with women, all these fights in games, primarily Pistons-Pacers, then this refereeing scandal(s), and really, the popularity has gone down, look at the ratings for Cavs-Spurs final, and don't blame the last episode of the Sopranos. I think marketing and expansion(going to China, etc.) are really helping the league, and these are the main downsides to Euroleague, marketing is terrible, and expansion isn't moving.
One thing I really dislike about the NBA is the lottery system. Horrible teams, such as New York, keep being awarded for losing. They don't do **** about it. Same goes to the teams that never do anything to improve, such as the Bobcats, who should be taken away the right to draft for these dumb decisions. Also the Bucks, the Timberwolves, who made only one good decision, and that was in 1995, by the way, a high schooler. I'm not blaming good organizations such as the Bulls or the Celtics, you can't win forever, but if there is a lottery, it shouldn't award losing, whether it is the Lakers, the Bulls, or the Bobcats.
Players get better, I don't understand how they wouldn't. The scores are really inflated though, and yes, fouls are overcalled. The main reason for higher scores in the NBA than in Europe is the 8 minute difference and defence rules.
Who called Argentina a European country? They are Europeans, but not from Europe, sort of like white people in the USA. But neither are European.

I really can't understand how you guys don't like the lottery. Imagine if the Lakers got Derrick Rose. How is that fair? What if the Celtics got Beasley? Who do you think would be in the finals next year? So that would mean a team that had a losing season would be forced to have another. What do you think would happen the following season? The same thing. The best athletes would want to go to the large market where they can get the most money and win ball games. Teams don't want to be in the lottery. They aren't being rewarded. It's such a great system because it doesn't give the worst teams high picks automatically. Theoretically, Chicago should have had the #9 pick. They moved all the way to #1. That is a huge difference. Now of course the very good teams like LA, Boston, Detroit, etc are forced to pick based on their record in the league. It's fair. The thing with the draft too is so many people draft on potential that it's sometimes more difficult to pick a high draft pick like that. So sometimes those teams like Detroit or San Antonio get great players at the bottom of the draft. Look where Manu was drafted. Stuckey wasn't a lottery pick last year. I don't think any basketball fan would want a system where the rich keep getting richer and the poor would keep getting poorer. There wouldn't even be a league if there was such rules.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:17 PM   #38
b.jerk
High School JV MVP
 
b.jerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 656
b.jerk has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Who Wins? College vs Euro

The problem with the lottery is there are franchises that are awarded the best prospects that screw up their development every season and are than rewarded with another top prospect
b.jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #39
dd24
College superstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,914
dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Who Wins? College vs Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.jerk
The problem with the lottery is there are franchises that are awarded the best prospects that screw up their development every season and are than rewarded with another top prospect

I would need examples. I don't think anybody purposely wants to screw up the development of a young star. Coaches at the NBA level are all extremely smart people. For the most part young guys are going to do well where they can play a moderate amount of minutes. There are a few special individuals who are talented enough to contribute for an entire game for all the season, but it's few and far between. If those prospects went to winning teams they would likely sit the bench and wouldn't be able to develop at all. At least with a losing organization they get to showcase their skills and we can actually see if they are going to be a bust or not. When it was allowed for high schoolers to be drafted, everybody pretty much knew right from the start that it would take 3 to 4 years before that pick would even be able to contribute.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:23 AM   #40
simasu01
Decent playground baller
 
simasu01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: LT>>NJ>>??
Posts: 376
simasu01 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Who Wins? College vs Euro

Since the NBA calls it a lottery, it should be for everyone. Maybe not with equal chances, but good teams should be in also. How is it fair that the Warriors are in the lottery and the Hawks aren't? The NBA needs to change up the playoff system, so good teams, such as the Warriors last year, would be in the playofs, and teams like the Hawks, I liked how they played last year, but they took someone else's spot. What if the Warriors won the lottery? That would be the rich getting richers, except they have no idea who to draft, ever. I only like Biedrins, that's their only draft pick that was a good deal, besides Jason Richardson, who is gone now.
simasu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #41
la bomba
Local High School Star
 
la bomba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,050
la bomba has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Who Wins? College vs Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprizzle14
Trajon is smart for playing in Europe where he can use his superior athleticism to take it to the rack because in the NBA he just an undersized 2 guard. Hey has Dahantay Jones been playing over there I bet he'd tear it up in europe. If any of the guys you mentioned were good dont you think theyd have NBA careers.
I have only just seen this thread.This must be a joke,right?There is no comparison.college or euroleague?come on!
Langdon does not use his superior athleticism to take it to the rack,Langdon is a great shooter,he would easily make any NBA team,he happens to have a great salary in one of the greatest teams I have ever seen play(NBA included!)If Langdon was about taking it to the rack he wouldn't make it in europe as they can defend that kind of player more easily than they can in the NBA with all their defensive rules,or what is the same their "Lets help Kobe,le bron and co drive and showboat"rules.I hate listening to yanks going on about how they haven't sent their best players etc etc!!Its pathetic,they send players who are all stars and if they can't send Kobe,they have LeBron or wade or iversen etc,their depth is unchallenged by any other country.Slovenia,Croatia,Serbia constantly have players missing and as good as they are producing players,their depth is nowhere near the U.S's.We are talking of countries with a couple million population.Slovenia have no Nachbar or Smodiz,possibly no Vujacic from the lakers,I don't know for sure about him,but the first two are def missing.Croatia are missing Kasun and possibly 4 or 5 others.Argentina is a south American country everyone knows that!!We don't have the same challenges as the americans in our knowledge of geography,but what is true is that most of their players have grown as players playing in europe!Nocioni,Oberto,Scola,pepe Sanchez,Wolkowyski,Herrmann all played in Spain and Ginobilli played in Italy and was Euroleague MVP.
U.S.A is and will always be the favourite,the NBA will always be the biggest league,however they are not invincible.As for the college ,please they would not stand a chance against the euroleague.Why do you think the US stopped making up their teams out of college players and started selecting NBA players?
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:59 AM   #42
la bomba
Local High School Star
 
la bomba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,050
la bomba has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Who Wins? College vs Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprizzle14
Trajon is smart for playing in Europe where he can use his superior athleticism to take it to the rack because in the NBA he just an undersized 2 guard. Hey has Dahantay Jones been playing over there I bet he'd tear it up in europe. If any of the guys you mentioned were good dont you think theyd have NBA careers.
Langdon is smart for playing in europe I agree there,I just don't agree about the reasons for thinking him smart.Dahntay Jones played for a while in Turkey I think and he was ****tier than he was in the NBA.I remind you that Anthony Parker has done quite well for Toronto and he was in a similar situation as Langdon.I remind you that Waltar Szerbiak snr played in Madrid for years,he had loads of chances to play in the NBA,a far better player than his son and yet he didn't.Bob Mcadoo played in europe for a long time having had the chance to stay in the NBA,Dejan Bodiroga and Oscar Scmidt two of the best players to have played in Europe had chances and didn't.Maybe there are players who would rather play in Europe because they prefer the more intense games,the competitiveness,the excitement of every match,the importance of every win.In the NBA teams play for nothing,most matches mean nothing,players playing in all the ****ty teams have only their personal stats to play for,only 4 or 5 teams can realistically win the whole thing,possibly more like 2 or 3.Do not assume that if someone plays in Europe its because he can't make it in the NBA.Navarro average more than 10 points a game for grizzlies,without being a key player for them,there everything goes to Gay.He is also smart and has come back to enjoy the game.
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #43
Zan Tabak
Only the finest
 
Zan Tabak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: -lll──lll-
Posts: 3,804
Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Who Wins? College vs Euro

The bottom line is..

College players are still boys who are developing and Euro players are well coached Men who have been playing a disciplined brand of basketball for many years. This is the reason why it wouldn't be close game ..Euro would win hands down!
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #44
eprizzle14
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 233
eprizzle14 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Who Wins? College vs Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by la bomba
I have only just seen this thread.This must be a joke,right?There is no comparison.college or euroleague?come on!
Langdon does not use his superior athleticism to take it to the rack,Langdon is a great shooter,he would easily make any NBA team,he happens to have a great salary in one of the greatest teams I have ever seen play(NBA included!)If Langdon was about taking it to the rack he wouldn't make it in europe as they can defend that kind of player more easily than they can in the NBA with all their defensive rules,or what is the same their "Lets help Kobe,le bron and co drive and showboat"rules.I hate listening to yanks going on about how they haven't sent their best players etc etc!!Its pathetic,they send players who are all stars and if they can't send Kobe,they have LeBron or wade or iversen etc,their depth is unchallenged by any other country.Slovenia,Croatia,Serbia constantly have players missing and as good as they are producing players,their depth is nowhere near the U.S's.We are talking of countries with a couple million population.Slovenia have no Nachbar or Smodiz,possibly no Vujacic from the lakers,I don't know for sure about him,but the first two are def missing.Croatia are missing Kasun and possibly 4 or 5 others.Argentina is a south American country everyone knows that!!We don't have the same challenges as the americans in our knowledge of geography,but what is true is that most of their players have grown as players playing in europe!Nocioni,Oberto,Scola,pepe Sanchez,Wolkowyski,Herrmann all played in Spain and Ginobilli played in Italy and was Euroleague MVP.
U.S.A is and will always be the favourite,the NBA will always be the biggest league,however they are not invincible.As for the college ,please they would not stand a chance against the euroleague.Why do you think the US stopped making up their teams out of college players and started selecting NBA players?
I see Langdon is a great shooter did not know he held the record for most 3's at Duke but I remember a couple of highlight reel plays from him. With all this said all it is speculation and well prolly never find out whps right, but I know who I'd put my money on USA all the way
eprizzle14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:55 PM   #45
simasu01
Decent playground baller
 
simasu01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: LT>>NJ>>??
Posts: 376
simasu01 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Who Wins? College vs Euro

I think la bomba shut all the haters down. Is there anyone else who'd like to bit.ch about unavailable players or some other ****? Really is there anything for you yanks left to say?
simasu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:38 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy